ZETA PLANT

General Motors is close to approving a massive investment at its Oshawa, Ontario plant, where the automaker is expected to build its Zeta platform vehicles, such as the Chevrolet Camaro and Impala, reports the Globe and Mail. Currently, the plant No. 2 is scheduled to close in 2008, but the investment could save 2,500 jobs and turn the plant into a 505,000-car-a-year powerhouse. “I don’t think there’s any question that Zeta will happen there,” an industry source who is familiar with GM’s product plans said. Sources say the new retro-styled Chevrolet Impala will be first out of the chute in June, 2009. Next comes Camaro in September, 2009, with annual sales projected at 100,000 a year, including a convertible version of the muscle car. The two Chevrolet models will be followed by the Cadillac DTS sedan in June, 2010, and the Buick Lucerne in October, 2010. Previous reports suggested the Buick model would be called “Statesman.” GM’s Bob Lutz also recently said a new Pontiac GTO and a Chevy Monte Carlo will be build on the Zeta architecture.

www.leftlanenews.com

Now I don't know which insider to believe. :nono:

Believe them both. AH-HA says the article is wrong, and the information Evok provided is contrary to the article. I can't recall the two of them ever contradicting each other.

"Next comes Camaro in September, 2009, with annual sales projected at 100,000 a year, including a convertible version of the muscle car, which was a smash hit at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January."

Date is wrong, volume is correct estimate. I am surprised but assured the dates I have are correct.

The two Chevrolet models will be followed by the Cadillac DTS sedan in June, 2010, and the Buick Lucerne in October, 2010, with production of each of those two cars forecast at 120,000 annually.

DTS appears to have been rethought out from the info used in that article.

Lucerne is moving onto zeta with the expected published volumes in the article.

Edited by evok

Date is wrong, volume is correct estimate.  I am surprised but assured the dates I have are correct.

DTS appears to have been rethought out from the info used in that article.

Lucerne is moving onto zeta with the expected published volumes in the article.

I have reason to believe that it is a good thing that you are surprised by the dates you have. :AH-HA_wink:

That we will leave to GM's marketing gurus.  But the intent is for the vehicle to be a direct replacement for the Lucerne.  Not a niche high end program like GMX283.

IT SEEMS UNWISE TO INTRODUCE A REPLACEMENT FOR THE LeSABRE AND PARK AVENUE AND THEN TURN AROUND AND DISCONTINUE THE CAR AND INTRODUCE ANOTHER IN IT'S PLACE TWO OR THREE YEARS LATER!!

THIS DOES NOT SOUND LOGICAL!

ZETA is the coolest four letter word ever. :D

IT SEEMS UNWISE TO INTRODUCE A REPLACEMENT FOR THE LeSABRE AND PARK AVENUE AND THEN TURN AROUND AND DISCONTINUE THE CAR AND INTRODUCE ANOTHER IN IT'S PLACE TWO OR THREE YEARS LATER!!

If the RWD Lucerne debuts in October, 2010, then that means the current FWD version will have had a life of 5 years. Edited by ehaase

• 1 month later...

153763[/snapback]

well its not like the lucern was an original work... the chassis and overall vehicle has been around for 10 years at least...

at one point there was the Deville and the Aurura... then it was the Deville & DTS

and now there are the DTS and Lucerne... so i would say it wouldnt be that bad of an idea for a 10 year old product that just got a refresh/badgejob

I've heard one of the plants in Oshawa is possible going down for 4-5 months at the end of this year. Could be the start of the retooling process. Anyone else heard anything.

170763[/snapback]

That would be Oshawa II. It will retool for a re-skinned GP and LaX. Nothing major there.

**Unless they are moved over to the MC/Impala plant and volume on all models are lowered, which I don't see happening.**