Dodge News: Electrified Muscle Car, Welcome Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept

David

CN022_013DGd4u1jm0akce60kemasju087hub.jpg

Performance made us do it according to the CEO of the Dodge Brand Tim Kuniskis with this backed up by the J.D. Powers APEAL Study showing Dodge is the #1 brand for mass market appeal.

Dodge delivered on the goals that they set, Drive like a Dodge, Look like a Dodge and Feel like a Dodge and it just happens to be battery powered (BEV). With these three focus points, the Dodge team delivered the following bullet list:

• Three game-changing, patent-pending features make up the core of the Charger Daytona SRT Concept:  
    • R-Wing: Front aerodynamic wing retains Dodge profile while achieving aerodynamic efficiencies
    • Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust: Industry-first exhaust system for an electric vehicle delivers a performance sound that rivals the SRT Hellcat
    • eRupt: Multi-speed transmission with an electro-mechanical shifting experience that’s pure Dodge
  • Charger Daytona SRT Concept powered by new 800V Banshee propulsion system
  • Concept design revolutionizes the look of a BEV while offering subtle nods to Dodge brand’s muscle car legacy
  • Illuminated Fratzog badges on front grille and taillamp symbolize electrified future of Dodge while also signifying the brand’s commitment to its performance heritage
  • Vertical exterior grille details add texture while evoking style of iconic 1968 Dodge Charger
  • Concept’s interior is modern, lightweight and provides a signature Dodge driver-centric cockpit
  • Interior parametric texture, also inspired by 1968 Charger grille detail, unites interior elements while providing connection to the exterior
  • Center console includes a unique jet-fighter-inspired cap that flips up to allow engagement of the start button and a pistol-grip shifter design inspired by the past, but with a modern execution
  • Panoramic glass roof gives an open-air feel, helping to include rear passengers in the vehicle experience
  • Rear hatch and fold-flat rear seats provide unmatched storage capacity for a muscle car
  • Cockpit immerses the driver’s sensory experience through performance sounds, lighting features and vehicle displays
  • With a touch of a steering wheel button the driver can engage Auto, Sport, Track and Drag modes, instantly changing the driving dynamics, display graphics, sound and interior lighting, enhancing the driver experience
  • For complete information on Dodge and the brand's Never Lift plan, which provides a 24-month road map to Dodge's performance future, visit Dodge.com and DodgeGarage.com

The 800V Banshee propulsion system exceeds the famed Dodge SRT Hellcat engine in performance according to Dodge and will be accompanied by an industry-first BEV Exhaust sound. This Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust tone can reach a 126 dB, making it as loud as the Hellcat Powered Dodge. The Charger Daytona SRT Concept is a true Dodge muscle car and exists because performance made them do it to set the standard. This is more than just a show car but a new production ready auto that exhibits muscle, attitude and performance proven in that it runs a blazing quarter mile and per Dodge, when it comes to product cycles, it outruns Darwin. This concept redefines the American Muscle car as it shows where Dodge is heading.

Per Dodge, the 2023 Dodge Hornet is the brand's first-ever electrified performance vehicle and shows where dodge is heading

CN022_010DGl80lm7su2im6c26b30fonn7t1p.jpg

The Dodge famed Charger Daytona was the first vehicle to break the 200 mph on a NASCAR track in 1970, Charger Daytona SRT Concept packs this performance and much more when it comes to the track be it racing or quarter mile. 

The Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept screams performance as it is the first Dodge electric vehicle that is faster than any Hellcat in all key performance metrics. The New Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept uses the 800 V Banshee propulsion system tied to an all-wheel-drive system pushing new boundaries in what a performance auto can do while also giving industry best all-weather capability.

Key features that will be a part of the Dodge Performance Experience.

Quote:

• eRupt Transmission
    Unlike typical BEVs, the Dodge brand’s eRupt multi-speed transmission with electro-mechanical shifting delivers distinctive shift points, throwing shoulders into seatbacks in true Dodge style. The Charger Daytona SRT Concept also boasts a PowerShot push-to-pass feature. Activated by the push of a button on the steering wheel, PowerShot delivers an adrenaline jolt of increased horsepower for a quick burst of acceleration.
  • Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust
    While most BEVs embrace their virtually silent electric motors, that just wouldn’t do for Dodge. The Charger Daytona SRT Concept voices a 126 dB roar that equals the SRT Hellcat, generated through a new, patent-pending Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust system. Yes, Dodge added an exhaust to an electric vehicle.

The industry-first Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust pushes its one-of-a-kind performance sound through an amplifier and tuning chamber located at the rear of the vehicle. The Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust represents the next generation of tactile, bone-shaking, muscle attitude, creating a visceral “Dark Matter” sound profile experience in concert with the eRupt transmission.
  • Dodge Design, First and Foremost
    The Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept features inspired design that takes on the challenge of revolutionizing the look of a BEV while offering subtle nods to the brand’s muscle car past.

That design principle begins to unfold up front, where the Charger Daytona SRT Concept’s patent-pending R-Wing redefines the typical Dodge front end, maintaining the characteristically blunt Dodge profile while developing a more aerodynamic vehicle.

The R-Wing, an homage to the original Charger Daytona design and to a key figure behind development of the original vehicle, allows air to flow through the front opening, enhancing downforce. Incorporated into this functional performance hood, the front R-Wing holds true to the brand’s dramatic exterior themes while delivering an aerodynamically improved pass-through design. Carbon-fiber intakes tucked into both sides of the front and rear lower fascias provide an air curtain to assist in aerodynamic performance.

The Charger Daytona SRT Concept combines modern looks with a long, wide and confident road presence. The front grille stands out with cross-car illuminated lighting centered by a white illuminated Fratzog badge, a symbol teased last year by the Dodge brand. The three-pointed Fratzog badge, originally featured on Dodge muscle cars from 1962 through 1976, was previously used without any meaning or context — until now. The return of the Fratzog logo represents the electrified future of Dodge and signifies the brand’s unwavering commitment to its performance heritage, but with new technology capable of pushing limits well beyond the cars of today.

Simple, vertical details on the front grille add texture while calling back to the brand’s heritage, specifically the iconic 1968 Dodge Charger. The concept distills performance to its simplest form, enhanced by a typically playful Dodge exterior color name, Greys of Thunder, that gives a high-gloss graphite feel with deep textures. The concept’s “waterline” tracks around the sides and gives a planted look while emphasizing the upper portion, keeping the visual weight up high. Subtle, muscular shaping of the wheel fenders accent the body styling.

The vehicle avoids excess decoration — headlights almost disappear, hidden underneath the R-Wing and integrated seamlessly into the aerodynamic surface providing just the functional elements needed for forward lighting. Both the front and rear lighting feature a full width design centered by a 3D illuminated Fratzog badge. The exterior lighting elements are truly unique – even in the dark, you’ll know the Charger Daytona SRT Concept’s silhouette. Flush door handles continue the minimalist design. Brushed aluminum “screaming” Banshee fender badges announce the new propulsion system that drives the concept.

CN022_004DGsskunrv0mvbu04hc63dfngku5v.jpg

Painted-pocket 21-inch wheels with diamond-cut faces continue the aerodynamic efficiencies with a turbine-like design, and a red Fratzog logo embellishes the wheel center locks. Grey six-piston brakes provide the stopping power.

CN022_016DGf1fsmc6b09mlkblifdjem6qfvv.jpg

A new hatchback design is highly functional, giving the concept a dual personality: a beast at the track that can still meet every day needs. The design, along with rear seats that fold flat, offer unexpected utility and storage capacity from a muscle car.

CN022_040DG9lak8p6801hpac1k3otgmq8qdi.jpgCN022_030DGa0rbhnn3nifg6ki05l9bsmm47t.jpg

The Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept is a Driver-centric Interior. This Charger features two large screens properly integrated into the dash with a 16-inch instrument cluster and a 12.3-inch center screen, creating a cocooned, driver focused setting accompanied by an 8x3-inch Head-up display (HUD) showing additional vehicle information of the driver's choice depending on their current driving needs from track day to a summer cruise. The Daytona SRT Concept dash is a slim design, instrument panel and mid-bolster in Ultraviolet color with blue and silver accent stitching featuring a "waterline" that extends across the EV from door to door. The upper instrument panel area creates a sculptural surface floating above the cluster with the Ultraviolet color touching multiple interior surfaces, enhancing shadows and highlights.

CN022_032DGtdes005vb5kcdssjndf7mdg9sg.jpgCN022_033DGid8n7bbs8bica0imfk7m57mqaq.jpgCN022_034DGm3453g5dms63nmsni59q2ur60f.jpg

The sculptural flow continues from the doors to the center console where one will find a Pistol-grip shifter along with the launch control switch.

CN022_036DG8q8n9ugs3da6lh4e23bm3u0rqu.jpgCN022_044DGsihpvlnrjle05tatk632i465ji.jpg

The steering wheel design delivers a thinner feel due to the flat top and bottom. The steering wheel is also not connected to the rim, giving it a floating feel while incorporating paddle shifters along with the PowerShot button on the right and the drive mode controls on the left. These are all capacitive touch controls and inspired by actual racing cars. The cockpit immerses the drivers sensory experiuence with performance feeling, sound, lighting and displays while giving a simple one-button press on the steering wheel that lets you pick from Auto, Sport, Track and Drag modes, instantly changing the driving dynamics, instrument cluster information, HUD Content, performance sound, lighting and feedback of the vehicle.

CN022_043DG5nbl45k62veamf7bmdigthbajg.jpg

From the rear center console to the panoramic glass roof, the Charger Daytona SRT Concept delivers on an open-air feel, helping to include the rear passengers in the vehicle driving experience.

CN022_038DGl2ttin6i27ama9lupmd2rul519.jpgCN022_037DGahd6bk43m856f93bc29a2svnjv.jpg

Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept Image Gallery Here

Dodge wanted to remind their SRT fans that for more than a 100 years the spirit of John and Horace Dodge has been carried out and their influence continues today as Dodge shifts to electric Muscle cars, but still offers through the end of 2023 the Drap-stip dominating 807-horsepower Dodge Challanger SRT Super Stock, the 797-horsepower Dodge Charger SRT Redeye, the most powerful and fastest mass-produced sedan in the world and the 710-horsepower Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat, the most powerful SUV ever as well as the best-in-class standard performance in the compact utility auto segment in the 2023 Dodge Hornet, making the final push of internal combustion powered auto's a final best-in-class send off as they welcome in the Most Powerful Electric Muscle Car, the Dodge Charger Daytona SRT EV.

As Dodge moves into a pure electric world of driving performance, they wanted to remind us that the way information will be released will be via various websites, social media sites, etc.

Follow Dodge and company news and video on:
Company blog: http://blog.stellantisnorthamerica.com
Media website: http://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com
Dodge brand: www.dodge.com
DodgeGarage: www.dodgegarage.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/dodge
Instagram: www.instagram.com/dodgeofficial
Twitter: www.twitter.com/dodge and @StellantisNA
YouTube: www.youtube.com/dodge, https://www.youtube.com/StellantisNA

View full article

So I assume they will have to change this to a sedan for production, or do sedan and coupe versions, unless they have a different sedan coming later and the Charger is a coupe only for lower volume as they ramp up EV production.  

They don't mention power, range, battery size or anything, so I am guessing this is a good bit away from production still, maybe late 2024 as a 2025 model.

41 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

So I assume they will have to change this to a sedan for production, or do sedan and coupe versions, unless they have a different sedan coming later and the Charger is a coupe only for lower volume as they ramp up EV production.  

They don't mention power, range, battery size or anything, so I am guessing this is a good bit away from production still, maybe late 2024 as a 2025 model.

The 800V Banshee platform is capable of being done in either a 2 door or 4 door and as such they wanted to honor the original Daytona Charger which was a 2 door.

If I was a betting man, I would expect them to have both a 2 and 4 door Charger along with a 2 door Challenger as a special step above the charger model in performance muscle cars.

Yes, nothing other than it is more powerful and track tested to beat the ICE Hellcat.

This would also imply that they will be as they are now tops in this segment over anything from the European or Asian auto makers.

2 minutes ago, David said:

The 800V Banshee platform is capable of being done in either a 2 door or 4 door and as such they wanted to honor the original Daytona Charger which was a 2 door.

If I was a betting man, I would expect them to have both a 2 and 4 door Charger along with a 2 door Challenger as a special step above the charger model in performance muscle cars.

Yes, nothing other than it is more powerful and track tested to beat the ICE Hellcat.

This would also imply that they will be as they are now tops in this segment over anything from the European or Asian auto makers.

More power than a Model S Plaid?  Or the 1200 hp Lucid?  

Horsepower doesn't really matter anymore, everything is fast, you can get a Kia that does 0-60 in 3.4 seconds for like $70k.

14 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

More power than a Model S Plaid?  Or the 1200 hp Lucid?  

Horsepower doesn't really matter anymore, everything is fast, you can get a Kia that does 0-60 in 3.4 seconds for like $70k.

Who cares about the Model S Plaid or Lucid or even the Kia. Dodge is using themselves to benchmark themselves and the Hellcat is that benchmark. I would have to think in common sense that yes they will have those others in mind and will want to ensure that their Charger SRT EV is truly fast, so it will be interesting to see down the road what the final numbers are.

We know it is AWD, so Torque Vectoring I am sure will come into play. Per this story, Tesla does have Torque Vectoring between 3 motors, but no sense on how many motors Dodge will use in this AWD configuration.

Just too many unknowns at this time to make any real judgement on the performance side of the auto other than they say it is faster and better than the ICE Hellcat.

We can debate the outside and inside look of the auto and I have to say it looks great, way better than anything being produced by European or Asian or any American auto company at this time. This is a great benchmark to step up too. 

Will be interesting to see what GM does with the Camaro.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Will be interesting to see what GM does with the Camaro.

Probably make it a crossover coupe version of the Blazer EV.  It can share parts with the Acura ZDX that's coming back, because yay, crossover coupes.

14 hours ago, David said:

Who cares about the Model S Plaid or Lucid or even the Kia. Dodge is using themselves to benchmark themselves and the Hellcat is that benchmark.

Then it'll be nothing special.. They may not mention benchmarking those cars but they probably should do that as both of those SMOKE a Hellcat.

So this seems like an awesome vehicle but without knowing some of the details, all I'm getting is a complete gimmick car. 

I know more details will follow but it would have been nice to know some performance targets, range, charging speed, hp/tq. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Then it'll be nothing special.. They may not mention benchmarking those cars but they probably should do that as both of those SMOKE a Hellcat.

So this seems like an awesome vehicle but without knowing some of the details, all I'm getting is a complete gimmick car. 

I know more details will follow but it would have been nice to know some performance targets, range, charging speed, hp/tq. 

I agree that performance details would be nice on the auto. We do know the charging speed as it is an 800V platform, so charging is fast just like Porsche, GM, Kia, Hyundai, etc. Anyone that supports 800V.

• Like 1

Cool write up on the 800V Banshee system.

Here's How Dodge's 800-Volt Banshee EV System Could Be Faster Than a Hellcat (thedrive.com)

They point out a valid point that I do not think many are aware of and why a higher Voltage system is preferred over lower. Higher voltage system provides faster charging and less heat creation but this does not automatically make an EV faster as they also point out depending on the kW rating of the motors, that is where you get crazy fast speed. So this Concept could easily be faster than a Hellcat if the kW rating of the electric motor they are using is super high.

An example of this is in the highest output Hemi at 807 Horsepower, that is equal to 602 kW motor. So they should easily be able to build a 1,000 kW electric motor or since this is AWD, have two 500 kW motors.

I had done a thread about this.  

My opinion on it!!!

On 8/17/2022 at 8:28 PM, oldshurst442 said:

On 8/17/2022 at 9:00 PM, oldshurst442 said:

This is what Im talking about.  This is the kind of car, any car, ICE or EV that I need and want in my life. 

I desperately want this.  

The sound. Yes its fabricated. I believe its an authentic electric motor sound, tuned and manipulated to sound like that. But that aint no different from how Ferrari tunes its engines, headers and exhaust, to sound the way they do.  Chevy has done the same with the SBC and went to Ferrari levels of tuning with the LT6 flat plane 5.5 liter.  Yamaha engines like the Lexus LFA V10 has been tuned to sound awesome...   Yamaha for those that want to be ignorant about this is not just a motorcycle company.  They make musical instruments of all kinds.  They  specialize to make sounds that sound good in our ears. They literally make music... 

This concept definitely makes me forget about the Hellcat. 

After hearing Tim Kuniskis speak, I know this is coming. I also know some sort of 4 door will also be available.

A Dodge EV me thinks will be in my driveway, unless Ford or Chevy upstages this. Only hiccup I sees with my decision in buying into a Stellantis EV is if the tech falls short of FoMoCo's or GM's Ultium platform

But, I got faith.  The French(Citroen and Peugeot) have been selling EVs for awhile now.  I dunno how that tech stacks up to Lucid, Ultium, Ford, Tesla...but since Stellantis also consists of Opel, a good engineering company, and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep these SRT engineers who are great in what they do, I dont see how Stellantis EV tech to be not competitive.  Not to mention Fiat and Maserati and most importantly, Ferrari.  

Yes, Ferrari.   Stellantis still owns shares in Ferrari and I would imagine Stellantis would have some access to Ferrari engineering if only it even was just for consultation.  Ferrari engineers are still excellent in what they do.  There are some very talented folk at Stellantis if we are to be serious about talking about engineering.  Stellantis is not a small company...  

On 8/18/2022 at 2:15 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Tim Kuniskis' unveiling of this beast.  Clear brand focus directives that were needed for Dodge to retain their current successful image.  

No numbers of any kind have been spoken.  MSRP, HP, etc...    Some range is sacrificed is hinted at though. To retain muscle car attitude.  Fair enough.  But family hauling duties along with inclement weather regions were thought of with this beast.  Engineering, as he stated, was at the forefront of designing E-Muscle.

About EV sounds

This is the route Porsche went with.  Porsche too, had an objective to have a distinct EV sound.  Im not sure if Porsche used a resonator and amplifier and tuned it like Dodge did.  But Porsche's sound does sound more natural EV-ish and it does sound awesome as well.  Already, Porsche and Dodge have made it a point that EV sounds need not be whiny but be part of brand image just like how ICEs are and about to be...were.  

On 8/23/2022 at 10:35 AM, ccap41 said:

It will be faster than the Hellcats.   By a decent amount.  As much, but not as fast probably, as the Lucid Airs, and the Plaid. 

Why? 

1. that transmission...

Its supposed to look like a Dodge, sound like a Dodge and DRIVE like a Dodge.    (Its supposed to look like a muscle car, sound like a muscle car and DRIVE like a muscle car)  It will have shift points, like a Porsche Taycan (2 speed transmission), but unlike a Porsche Taycan, it will have 3-4-5-6 shift points to make you feel that punch. (Remember, Lucid Airs and Teslas have very fast LINEAR acceleration...1 gear only that makes it just go...)

THAT may cost valuable tenths of seconds for 0-x times and 1/4 mile times. 

2. It may not need to beat these other EVs (Air, Taycan, Plaid) in acceleration outright if only a tenth or 2 seconds off BECAUSE it will undoubtedly FEEL and drive like a Dodge and a muscle car.

3. Also, it will have an electronic software 'nitrous' button on the steering wheel called PowerShot  that will produce an extra burst of horsepower to overcome any shift delay and punch its way through as to stay as close to if not downright overcome a Taycan, Plaid and Air.  

It will also have sport, drag, track and more importantly, donut modes to look like a Dodge, sound like a Dodge and DRIVE like a Dodge.     (look like a muscle car, sound like a muscle car and DRIVE like a muscle car) 

Drag mode will certainly be interesting for acceleration times.  

4. The Taycan, Plaid and Air will most certainly be 50% more pricier to buy anyway...

Tim Kuniskis did say that all EVs are fast, even the boring ones whilst showing a Prius and Bolt like renderings when explaining what kind of EV Dodge is doing.  

Dodge is doing EVs THEIR way. What is basically what they are defining what an EV muscle car should be.

Detroit did fast ICE cars in the 1960s the only way they knew how. And Dodge is was front and center in that time.  Detroit and Dodge didnt care what Europe was doing.  Like then, it seems Dodge doesnt care what Silicone Valley is doing. And I for one, if Dodge continues with this road and E-Muscle the way they just showed us, Im on board!!!

Hope Ford and Chevy jump on board with Dodge's vision of E-Muscle and along with sustainable business and fans and this EV thing will be a blast!!!   A muscle car renaissance!!! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I am really liking this Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept. While not totally sold on the virtual sound, I get it that they want to give the killer cat sound.

Dodge - YouTube

The latest Commercial for this bad boy is very cool!

@oldshurst442 You should like the above Commercial. The car is HOT HOT HOT!