New beginnings...new house

6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I closed on my new house today.  All went pretty smoothly.   Only 20 miles from my current house, but bigger, one story, much more storage and garage space, almost 2 acres.  I’ll be busy the next month or so moving in and then putting my current house up for sale.  Icky weather today though.  34 and sleet.  

Congratulations on this Robert. Very excited for you and your sister and the new chapter of life with this house. Wishing you all the best.

• Thanks 1

• Robert Hall changed the title to New beginnings...new house
On 4/24/2023 at 12:27 PM, Robert Hall said:

I closed on my new house today.  All went pretty smoothly.   Only 20 miles from my current house, but bigger, one story, much more storage and garage space, almost 2 acres.  I’ll be busy the next month or so moving in and then putting my current house up for sale.  Icky weather today though.  34 and sleet.  

7cf8b2caca77d4f975a5fab0ac5d02eb-full.webp

4cab739f9cab3653f449e801e05c0ef4-full-4.webp

Nice house!

But Im thinking...

Oh Man GIFs | Tenor

"that is a lot of snow to clear in the winter time..."

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bobo said:

Nice!  Congratulations, Moltar.  Plenty of room to expand or collect things if needed.  I don't know how y'all deal with the snow and cold.

Bobo I could say the same thing about living in California. How do you deal with that Cancer causing sun all the time, the crazy state taxes and the density of the people. 

I can survive a few days to visit my relatives but not much more. It is just crazy to me from Bakerfield down to Huntington beach and out to Suncity. just dense sprawl.

I will stick to my rain and snow of the PNW thank you.

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

For a driveway that long is hire a snow service. Heck even for mowing the lawn I’d hire a service

Noooo way! I love cutting and maintaining my lawn.  I' would just need a bigger mower so the time isn't outrageous. Buuuut, that doesn't look like a whole lot of lawn.

@Robert Hall, how much yard to you have? Or how big is the property? 

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Noooo way! I love cutting and maintaining my lawn.  I' would just need a bigger mower so the time isn't outrageous. Buuuut, that doesn't look like a whole lot of lawn.

I’m a different life, yeah. Right now, time is my enemy.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

The realtor posting would imply half an acre of grass to mow.

I have a third of an acre and I enjoy mowing it with my ego mower. But I totally understand others that yard work is not their desire to do. I would want a small tractor with a plow on it to handle the driveway during winter.

Like you, I enjoy the yard work.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, David said:

The realtor posting would imply half an acre of grass to mow.

I have a third of an acre and I enjoy mowing it with my ego mower. But I totally understand others that yard work is not their desire to do. I would want a small tractor with a plow on it to handle the driveway during winter.

Like you, I enjoy the yard work.

Speaking of electric mowers... 

I saw Toro has an electric version of what I currently have "coming soon". I'd freakin love that.  It's pretty damn expensive for a push mower, but it's still about half of what a decent rider/zero turn would cost and that'd still be ICE. 

image.png.a272106a83d41a5b4f246ab67628bda4.png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Speaking of electric mowers... 

I saw Toro has an electric version of what I currently have "coming soon". I'd freakin love that.  It's pretty damn expensive for a push mower, but it's still about half of what a decent rider/zero turn would cost and that'd still be ICE. 

image.png.a272106a83d41a5b4f246ab67628bda4.png

This just makes the EGO an even better deal as it is the best I believe.

Amazon.com: EGO Power+

Amazon.com : EGO Power+ LM2142SP 21-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Dual-Port Walk Behind Self Propelled Lawn Mower with Two 5.0 Ah Batteries & Charger Included : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Snag_1e14a367.png

Amazon.com: EGO Power+: MOWERS

Course with Roberts Yard I would go with this from EGO.

Ego lawn mower at Lowes.com: Search Results

Snag_1e17bf4d.png

Snag_1e189097.png

I have the EGO also and I really like it. The extra cost over a gas equivalent is worth it just from the lack of having to do all the gas engine maintenance.  Every spring was a fight with my gas mower plus $40 - $70 in parts for whatever broke.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, David said:

21" deck is not something I'll ever use again unless I'm forced to. It takes too damn long. 

Those Zero turns are awesome and all but I'm not paying 5k for a stamped deck mower and 6500 is pretty insane for a residential zero turn. That'll never pay for itself over a quality ICE zero turn. 

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

I have the EGO also and I really like it. The extra cost over a gas equivalent is worth it just from the lack of having to do all the gas engine maintenance.  Every spring was a fight with my gas mower plus $40 - $70 in parts for whatever broke.

I completely agree on everything below the riders. Push mowers, trimmers, blowers, all electric please. 5000-6500 for a zero turn when you can get a full on commercial grade mower for that price? Or save 1000-1500 on a high end residential unit? The value just isn't there...yet. 

28 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

21" deck is not something I'll ever use again unless I'm forced to. It takes too damn long. 

Those Zero turns are awesome and all but I'm not paying 5k for a stamped deck mower and 6500 is pretty insane for a residential zero turn. That'll never pay for itself over a quality ICE zero turn. 

I completely agree on everything below the riders. Push mowers, trimmers, blowers, all electric please. 5000-6500 for a zero turn when you can get a full on commercial grade mower for that price? Or save 1000-1500 on a high end residential unit? The value just isn't there...yet. 

Personal preference in regards to the zero turn ICE versus Electric. To me the lack of maintenance on the EGO beats ICE.

In regards to the 30" toro @ $2,399 or 21" EGO @ $599, I will take the few extra laps of moving as the price is as you stated, Toro Value is not there for that price.

37 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think, like vehicles, Americans tend to overbuy on lawn equipment.  I went from a big, single blade, walk behind... big torque, rear drive, bagger/mulcher, and it was such a headache towards the end of its life. For a couple seasons I used my father-in-laws ooooooold Black-n-Decker corded electric. It was a basic as could be.  I could only do my front yard and my upper rear yard, but it did it without fuss every year.  Parts were non-existant. I hit a stone and couldn't buy a new blade, but it still ran, just a little buzzy.  The worst was that about once per season, I'd eat an extension cord.  Eventually, it melted the control handle, but for a mower that was probably 25+ years old and free, I wasn't mad for the extra few seasons I got out it.

I knew after that, I'd never go back to gas, so I got the EGO. That can do my lower back yard too, which is mostly wooded. It does fine.

The only thing I'd change about it would be the wheels, which don't have a lot of grip.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think, like vehicles, Americans tend to overbuy on lawn equipment. 

I completely agree and a $5000 zero turn that performs as well as a $3000 Toro, Gravely, Husqvarna, Etc.. is pretty difficult to justify. 

That's why I think the small upgrade price for the hand tools and push mowers can easily be justified. When you have to pay 60% more for the same thing...why? 

19 minutes ago, David said:

In regards to the 30" toro @ $2,399 or 21" EGO @ $599, I will take the few extra laps of moving as the price is as you stated, Toro Value is not there for that price.

Cut 15,000sqft twice a week and the time savings is worth it.  The "few laps" is about 25 minutes more for me. That's about an hour a week I get back. I love cutting the grass but I don't want it to be tedious. 

Also, Toro does have multiple 21" electric mowers to choose from, ranging from $300-800. 

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I completely agree and a $5000 zero turn that performs as well as a $3000 Toro, Gravely, Husqvarna, Etc.. is pretty difficult to justify. 

That's why I think the small upgrade price for the hand tools and push mowers can easily be justified. When you have to pay 60% more for the same thing...why? 

It depends on how much of your own maintenance you do and how much you're willing to pay for someone else to maintain it if not.

In my case, time being such a big issue, I don't want to have to mess around with a cranky gas mower or have to load it on a trailer once or twice a year to pay $150-$200 for the lawn equipment company to maintain it.  I'd rather spend my afternoons doing things I enjoy.

Dropping in a few batteries saves me time. I bill my side-hustle clients at $120 an hour. That makes it easy math.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It depends on how much of your own maintenance you do and how much you're willing to pay for someone else to maintain it if not.

In my case, time being such a big issue, I don't want to have to mess around with a cranky gas mower or have to load it on a trailer once or twice a year to pay $150-$200 for the lawn equipment company to maintain it.  I'd rather spend my afternoons doing things I enjoy.

Dropping in a few batteries saves me time. I bill my side-hustle clients at $120 an hour. That makes it easy math.

Oh I guess if you don't want to do any maintenance yourself, then the crazy price will make it easier to swallow. There really isn't much maintenance that goes into them though. I can change the oil, spark plug, and sharpen the blades in 30 minutes. I've broken belts that are much more of a pain in the @ss and it would be nice to eliminate those all together. 

Also, that $150 a year you're paying to maintain it, is about ten years worth of upfront maintenance you're paying for with the Ego riders, which will still need the blades sharpened at least once a year. 

That's by the book time.... as gas mowers age, they tend to get crankier.  Maybe it is different for other brands, but the maintenance parts for my Tecumseh-powered Craftsman were always stupidly expensive. $20 for an air filter, plus shipping, $8 for a spark plug, plus shipping. $45 for a wheel that split. control cables snapping. Nothing was ever local, and I'd need to wait 7-10 days to get it.

Same for my gas snow blower.

The gas power tool experience has poisoned my

One thing not obvious about the EGO is just how light and compact it is. It folds up and has two handles that you can carry it with while folded if you need to load it into a car. It goes into the Toronado trunk no problem. When I store it for the winter, I can stand it upright and slide it behind the furnace.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's by the book time.... as gas mowers age, they tend to get crankier.  Maybe it is different for other brands, but the maintenance parts for my Tecumseh-powered Craftsman were always stupidly expensive. $20 for an air filter, plus shipping, $8 for a spark plug, plus shipping. $45 for a wheel that split. control cables snapping. Nothing was ever local, and I'd need to wait 7-10 days to get it.

That all does sound like a pain in the @ss. I picked up my spark plug last week for $1.99 at a Rural King, which has also had all of my belts and pulleys that have gone over the last few years. None of them were over $20 a part nor needed to be ordered. Even the oil I found synthetic SAE30 at Walmart for $4 at the end of the season. 

I know it's behind you now but had you had a Toro or Honda, all of those things are much more readily available. 

With all of this said, I still cannot wait for an electric mower. I just wish the riders were much more reasonably priced. As bad as I want one, had I needed one today, I couldn't justify the additional upfront cost. Once Toro and Ego have lower end ones in the $3000 range and a fabricated 48-52" deck for $4000-4500, I'll be all in.

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

One thing not obvious about the EGO is just how light and compact it is. It folds up and has two handles that you can carry it with while folded if you need to load it into a car. It goes into the Toronado trunk no problem. When I store it for the winter, I can stand it upright and slide it behind the furnace.

Most fold up these days. Mine has a big-@ss engine and can't fold flat, unfortunately. Nor does the electric 30" but all of their 21" mowers can fold flat. 

I used a Honda HXR (21" when mine was down last year (which solidified my idea of not getting a 21" mower for my lawn)) which has the composite deck and while it was very light to maneuver, I found it wheelied too easy. I don't want it to weigh more, I just want the balance to be better. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I know it's behind you now but had you had a Toro or Honda, all of those things are much more readily available. 

I shoulda bought the Honda. I think that feature for feature, the Craftsman (which from memory, was Toro built) was the same. One key thing I need is an OHV engine because they have more powerful oil pumps. I have steep hills, and the old-style flat-head motors would eat themselves because their little oil pumps would starve if they were on the slope for too long.  Way back when I bought the Craftsman (actually from Sears, so that gives you an idea of the age), OHV pushmowers were relatively rare. Only high-end models and most of the Hondas had them.

The thing about the Honda was that it was a push mower that weighed damn near as much as an Accord.  I was mowing the lawns at my rentals at the time, and lifting it into the CR-V or CTS would have been a bitch.  I still got the craftsman base on price, though.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

shoulda bought the Honda. I think that feature for feature, the Craftsman (which from memory, was Toro built) was the same. One key thing I need is an OHV engine because they have more powerful oil pumps. I have steep hills, and the old-style flat-head motors would eat themselves because their little oil pumps would starve if they were on the slope for too long.  Way back when I bought the Craftsman (actually from Sears, so that gives you an idea of the age), OHV pushmowers were relatively rare. Only high-end models and most of the Hondas had them.

I don't know how long ago that was but my buddy bought a Craftsman but he made sure his had the Honda engine and he loves it for his small yard. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

That all does sound like a pain in the @ss. I picked up my spark plug last week for $1.99 at a Rural King, which has also had all of my belts and pulleys that have gone over the last few years. None of them were over $20 a part nor needed to be ordered. Even the oil I found synthetic SAE30 at Walmart for $4 at the end of the season. 

With all of this said, I still cannot wait for an electric mower. I just wish the riders were much more reasonably priced. As bad as I want one, had I needed one today, I couldn't justify the additional upfront cost. Once Toro and Ego have lower end ones in the $3000 range and a fabricated 48-52" deck for $4000-4500, I'll be all in.

Most fold up these days. Mine has a big-@ss engine and can't fold flat, unfortunately. Nor does the electric 30" but all of their 21" mowers can fold flat. 

I used a Honda HXR (21" when mine was down last year (which solidified my idea of not getting a 21" mower for my lawn)) which has the composite deck and while it was very light to maneuver, I found it wheelied too easy. I don't want it to weigh more, I just want the balance to be better. 

I love all the space I got back in my Shed when I got rid of the gas powered mower and tools. EGO just lets you stand it on end taking up little space and the electric tools hang close and tight so little space needed.

In regards to the price of things, like Drew the costs are high for ICE parts and maintenance here in the PNW and I suspect it is on the average income of the area as the greater Seattle area has gotten crazy priced on everything. ICE zero turn mowers are almost as expensive as the EGO here.

Just a sample of stuff from the local Orielly's auto parts store for lawn more sparkplugs. Double of your price almost.

image.png

Here is Ace hardware with the basic Toro tune up kits.

image.png

Here is just a sample from the lowes right up the street of the zero turn ICE mowers.

image.png

Lowes prices on blades are on par with Home Depot here also so just pennies apart.

image.png

I will say that after 9 years I still have the original blade on my EGO mower and all I do is sharpen it. No other costs from the original $500 plus I paid back then. For me, this is the cheapest mower I have ever owned. Same with my hedger, edger, trimmer and tree branch saw for the EGO multi-head motor unit and the attachements.

3 minutes ago, David said:

In regards to the price of things, like Drew the costs are high for ICE parts and maintenance here in the PNW and I suspect it is on the average income of the area as the greater Seattle area has gotten crazy priced on everything. ICE zero turn mowers are almost as expensive as the EGO here.

Just a sample of stuff from the local Orielly's auto parts store for lawn more sparkplugs. Double of your price almost.

$2.99 for a spark plug is still dirt cheap.

And no, ICE zero turns are not on the same price level as Ego's zero turns. Just go to the manufacturer's website. 

image.png.e3ac6132f79d7c31f6b3c55057c751b4.png

24 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well, we’ve definitely hijacked @Robert Hall’s post with way more mower information than he needs.

Robert, have any inside pics yet?

@ccap41

Here is the link he posted in Lifes Ups and Downs about his dogs passing away.

5875 Highland Rd, Highland Heights, OH 44143 | MLS# 4445017 | Trulia

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

$2.99 for a spark plug is still dirt cheap.

And no, ICE zero turns are not on the same price level as Ego's zero turns. Just go to the manufacturer's website. 

image.png.e3ac6132f79d7c31f6b3c55057c751b4.png

I understand the point your making, but even then from where you are they are cheaper than here. John Deer is $100 more here than where you live.

17 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well, we’ve definitely hijacked @Robert Hall’s post with way more mower information than he needs.

Robert, have any inside pics yet?

Getting the inside repainted next week..  2nd pic is the finished attic.   5 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, laundry room off the kitchen.  About 3000 sq ft finished.  Going to put a hot tub on the back patio....

Here are pics from the realtor listing..

022f3a6f823bff30f394a37b1f277a93-full.webp

4bc1fc2a8ead5512b1bc4ca77533bdfa-full.webp

7459eb57f2e2f12337433acb6d3ef707-full.webp

6629ef588d41646266d8c750967c8dda-full.webp

fdfc717169be4f76106ada4e250eedbb-full.webp

da3404adb1a22037cc4cc7552a920ca9-full.webp

9cc3bfbc5c03f5774195ef2291674b09-full.webp

808c850b91f60ab9dc737ca3497c90a4-full.webp

7fd9bdb53aff1ee92e4cb2eee45a71ff-full.webp

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Getting the inside repainted next week..  2nd pic is the finished attic.   5 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, laundry room off the kitchen.  About 3000 sq ft finished.  Going to put a hot tub on the back patio....

Very nice property there and the interior is mostly a good paint job and new floor away from being a "new" home. Congrats!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Robert what colors are you going with on the inside? Whole house being repainted or just some rooms inside?

Going with an off-white inside.  Sherwin-Williams Navaho White.  Some of the rooms are too dark now.  My sister’s bedroom is a dark brown, the attic walls purple, my bedroom is dark blue and yellow, what will be my office is dark gray, what will be my hobby room is lt gray.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I only have money to paint things myself... 

When I have time, I like painting my house.  Its a lot of work, but I actually enjoy it.  

Its time though that sometimes I do not have.  And even that needs explaination.  I can find the time to paint a room or two over a two day break.  Its the time to recuperate because it is hard work so when I finish painting a room or two, Ill need to go back to work at the restaurant with no rest and THAT is the killer for me.   

I hired a painter the last time.  4 years ago. He and his troops (2 others) did my kitchen, and my basement over the course of a week.   I simply didnt have the time then.    Currently Im envisioning to do the three bedrooms. My daughter's my son's and my wife's.  The two kids have grown up and want a change and my wife...well she got jealous of her kids.  So...happy wife happy life.   But Ill do those.  Bedrooms are easier than kitchens.   

Benjamin Moore and Behr is our choice of paints.  

I prefer Benjamin Moore although Behr aint too bad for the price either. 

Sherwin Williams?   Maybe I try them this time around.  

Im not loyal to paint companies. 

My dad used CIL and SICO back in the day.   Both are Canadian.   :canada:

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

My sister used Sherwin-Williams on her last 3 houses in AZ, and it's the local company, so comes recommended.   Not sure if I will use it when I paint the current house inside, though.    Easier to get it painted before moving in.

Been doing a lot of work on the current house prior to moving out and selling it...painted the outside last week, some masonry work this week and a new roof this week.   Plan to repaint the inside before it's on the market in a few weeks.. 

So between closing on the new house and projects on both houses, it's been an expensive couple weeks...fun, fun..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I have used Sherwin-Williams before, and it is solid quality paint. There are a few stores around me, but they seem to be more catered to the paint companies and builders. Last time I did the bedrooms, the wife and I went in and we were pretty much blown off. As such, they lost our money and future money.

I have to say that Behr Premium Plus is awesome paint on par dollar for dollar with Sherwin-Williams.

When my daughter bought her first home 2yrs ago, I smoker sealed the whole inside to seal in any smells, mustiness, etc. Then used Behr Premium Plus on the whole inside. The daughter choose off white also for the whole place.

Well-sealed and will last a long time, smells like new. She loves her home. So for me, getting 5 gallon buckets of Behr Premium Paint from Home Depot is how I roll on painting. 

Got my own splatter gun too that hooks up to my air compressor, so just buy the mud, add water to get it to the proper slurry consistency and then I re-textured the whole inside. Medium splatter and it looks modern even though it was built in 1962.

• Agree 1

@Robert Hall My post made me think of another question to you about your new home. Are you going to have them texture the walls first or do a texture paint to update the look and feel of the walls?

Also, due to the age, have you thought of having them seal the inside first and then paint?

I have always used KILZ Smoker sealer paint. On my house since it was so old, I used the oil based true fire sealer paint that is used on partial burnt homes before they repair the home as it truly seals the burnt smell of the home. 

With my daughters Amy's house, I used the KILZ Premium 3 paint which is a water clean up sealer base paint. Totally changed overnight the smell of the home to like new.

They are using a sealer...no texture, not a fan of textured paint (my folks' house had textured paint on 150+ yr old walls, never cared for the appearance).

Moving along slowly..probably going to not finish until sometime next week...taking next week off from work to pack.

Have new distractions also at home..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

They are using a sealer...no texture, not a fan of textured paint (my folks' house had textured paint on 150+ yr old walls, never cared for the appearance).

Moving along slowly..probably going to not finish until sometime next week...taking next week off from work to pack.

Have new distractions also at home..

Appreciate the update Robert. I grew up in homes that were just smooth and Hospital White, so with this home, I got an air texture gun and did a medium to small splatter on the walls before painting the rooms eggshell white semi-gloss and then each room has an accent color based on who was sleeping in the room. Daughter went with her college color of a mustard color. My son went with a blue/grey color and my wife choose a light grey for our room. Rest of the house is the eggshell white color except the family room downstairs and office. Office is a peach color with white ceiling and Family room is a green and yellow two-tone room with white ceiling so it feels more like being outdoors.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This past week, got the 11x11 slab poured for the spa, the electrical for it in place...it will be delivered and installed this week along w/ the 2nd attempt at a new microwave install (with the first, I discovered the importance of buying a microwave with a  'zero-clearance' door).     Met w/ the landscapers today about some tree work and continued yard and garden work.   Made two trips this weekend w/ a rental Transit high roof, going to make another trip in the morning then drop it off after work. 

• Oh Yeah! 2

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

This past week, got the 11x11 slab poured for the spa, the electrical for it in place...it will be delivered and installed this week along w/ the 2nd attempt at a new microwave install (with the first, I discovered the importance of buying a microwave with a  'zero-clearance' door).     Met w/ the landscapers today about some tree work and continued yard and garden work.   Made two trips this weekend w/ a rental Transit high roof, going to make another trip in the morning then drop it off after work. 

So excited for you Robert on your new place and all the exciting things that come with a new place.

Just got back from PTO at Fairmont Hot springs and already miss the twice day soaking in them. I can feel the difference in my body and I know you and your sister will love it for making the body feel better.

Looking forward to updated pictures when you get a chance. Exciting to think that you will be moved in next weekend.

12 minutes ago, David said:

Looking forward to updated pictures when you get a chance. Exciting to think that you will be moved in next weekend.

We pushed out the furniture move by two weeks to the 22nd.    We are behind because it's mostly me moving everything else.  Two people with a lot of stuff...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

The microwave and hot tub were installed today...looking forward to using this. Got some landscaping to do around it..

IMG-0069.jpg

That is awesome Robert!!!

So happy for you.

Got in the hot tub for the first time tonight...fantastic.  Learning the remote and all the jet settings. Hadn't been in a hot tub in years, just what we needed.   Very relaxing.   Was streaming some Pink Floyd to it's speakers...

IMG-0078.jpg

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1