1988 Olds Toronado Trofeo

Posted Image

Clicky

I know this evokes a :blink: reaction from most of you, but if this were a year old and black, this would be just like my father's bought-new 1987 Trofeo, the very first car I remember (and the first car I 'drove' - on my dad's lap, of course!). Same digital 'gages', same throttle shifter. Ours had a moonroof and an NEC mobile cellular car phone, though.

I've seen only a few Toronados of these hated downsized years, and most of them beaten hard with random wheels, busted antennas, and broken headlamp doors. But this? Almost perfect.

*Sigh*

What fond memories! My dad owned a white, 1990 Olds Tornado Trofeo. An excellent car - a combination of class/elegance and sportiness. I used to sneak the car out almost nightly. I seem to remember that the digital speedometer (just the speedo number-part) would flash when you took the car over 100 mpg.

It's a cool car for what it is. Wonder if XP can post some photos of

his old FWD, mini-Toronado.

mute:    :huh:  :scratchchin:  :lol:

do you not understand?

a little rake that means the front end lower than the back

red steel rims meaning the stock steelies like most cars have painted red

white wall tires . . . thats a given

moon eye hubcaps . . . i hope you know im not gonna explain

black primer paint . . . again a given

that would look hot on this car

do you not understand?

a little rake that means the front end lower than the back

red steel rims meaning the stock steelies like most cars have painted red

white wall tires . . . thats a given

moon eye hubcaps . . . i hope you know im not gonna explain

black primer paint . . . again a given

that would look hot on this car

that sounds... absolutely gross.

Hah, funny to see one of these things after not thinking about them in a long time. After I wrecked my '90 Cutlass Supreme, I bought an '89 Toronado with the FE3 sport suspension to get me back on my feet before I bought my Riviera a few months later.

Posted Image

Wasn't a bad little car until I roasted the transmission! :lol:

Guest YellowJacket894

When I was six and lived in an apartment, we had a neighbor who owned a '92 Trofeo.

I don't know. I'm not that big of a fan of front-drive, but I most certainly wouldn't mind driving the last-generation Toronado. (Or the first-generation, for that matter.) They were decent looking cars, I guess.

My aunt had a red '92 Trofeo with the VIC and Bose audio system. Awesome car. I was 8 when she traded it in for her Seville STS. I could probably entertain mself for hours if she kept it. Had a great exhaust note too...

Buy it Fly! You want it, hell you need it! Dont let it become some punk kids first car so he can crash it into your Pontiac or Olds!!!!!

Wasn't my favorite of the Toronados, but I did like mine a lot in the short time that I owned it before it was replaced by my Riviera. I agree with capriceman in that you should snatch it up (or one like it) to save it from a life of 20-inch rims, stick-on window tint with giant bubbles, and some retarded stereo system in place of the weird top-loading slave tape deck mounted at a 45-degree angle in the center console. God, what a weird car. Digital everything and buttons everywhere! It's been two years since I owned mine, and I've yet to even see half a dozen out on the road. I think I've maybe seen three in all this time. Makes sense, though; sales in the Toronado dipped 62% from 1985 to 1986 when they downsized. I read somewhere a long time ago that the year I owned, 1989, was the smallest ever production year, with something like just under 10,000 units produced. Hemmings Motor News recently (February or March issue, can't remember which) picked the '88-'92 Trofeos as one of the top ten most collectible cars along with the future:

"The Trofeo (Italian for "trophy") was Oldsmobile's answer to European luxury cars. Debuted as a separate model in 1988, it was GM's attempt to add some sizzle to the slow-selling Toronado. The Trofeo offered sporty bucket seats, monochromatic paint, and a sport-tuned suspension; 1989 saw the arrival of the high-tech, touch screen Visual Information Center. Power was provided by a 3.8-liter V6 coupled to a four-speed automatic transmission, backed by capable suspension that could have handled much more oomph. The classy Trofeo is certainly one of the most handsome GM designs of its era; with good examples available for $2000, there will never be a better time to put one in your garage."

Truth be told, this thread sorta makes me want mine back! :o