Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick LaCrosse Super-when is the debut?

buickguy

• 1 month later...

I miss the days of the T-Type Regal, Century, and LeSabre.

I'd LOVE to see a LaCrosse with blackout trim, unique badging, seats, wheels. Hopefully the Super will fill this niche.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with a GM/Buick rep at Portland's Autoshow this past weekend. They stated the LaCrosse Super will debut in New York. However, they also said there are rumors of a Lucerne Super possibly debuting along side the LaCrosse Super. :o

Perhaps GM received a lot of good feedback from SEMA? :scratchchin:

What engine would that use? The 5.3? Sadly, has more power than the N* right now.

Well, it is a bit bigger.

Either that, or they'll throw the 291hp N* in the Lucerne Super.

Well, it is a bit bigger.

Either that, or they'll throw the 291hp N* in the Lucerne Super.

They seemed to indicate that the Lucerne Super would be more of a styling package than different powertrain, but I agree. The easiest and most probable move will be to boost output on the Lucerne Super to DTS level. Sounds good to me.

They seemed to indicate that the Lucerne Super would be more of a styling package than different powertrain, but I agree. The easiest and most probable move will be to boost output on the Lucerne Super to DTS level. Sounds good to me.

See, that's what I would think... if you're going to make it try and stand out amongst the rest of the pack, you should boost the powertrain, albeit only 11hp more.

Still like the idea of a little more flare with the product.

Oh... My... God....

Why is GM whoring out the Super and GXP trims? It's like the SS crap all over again...

There should be no 'upper trim' SS just as there should not be crap like the current Torrent and G6 GXPs and there CERTAINLY shouldn't be an appearance package for Buick and the Lucerne called Super.

If they do this, they'll damn the Super name before it is even launched.

Why is GM whoring out the Super and GXP trims? It's like the SS crap all over again...

Can't whore out something that hasn't even existed. Super has no identity and whether Buick wants to craft it as a mix of performance and styling (T-Type) or as just an upper crust of refinement is up to them.

Can't whore out something that hasn't even existed. Super has no identity and whether Buick wants to craft it as a mix of performance and styling (T-Type) or as just an upper crust of refinement is up to them.

But the thing is, I agree with FOG to a degree... they're going to slap the "Super" name on a W-Body with a V8... well, that's been done as a GXP and an SS. It's too much--Chevy has SS everything (I know they're going to get away from that), and Pontiac is offering several GXPs, and now Buick is going to Super everything... (I'm not going to mention Caddy's V series because I think that's done right--those are beautiful)

I imagine these trims for all divisions will be low volume production, but still compete with one another a bit. It just seems like overkill.

My only fighting argument is that it offers the consumer a wide-variety of styles... Pontiac being sporty, Chevy being semi-sporty, and the Buick being more luxurious/premium.

but remember, Pushrods are teh sucxors!

While I can appreciate your sarcasm, I think you are missing something.

Nobody ever complains about GM's pushrod V8s.

It's the V6's that are lame.

It's the V6's that are lame.

Oh, trust me, he knows that.

But the thing is, I agree with FOG to a degree... they're going to slap the "Super" name on a W-Body with a V8... well, that's been done as a GXP and an SS. It's too much--Chevy has SS everything (I know they're going to get away from that), and Pontiac is offering several GXPs, and now Buick is going to Super everything... (I'm not going to mention Caddy's V series because I think that's done right--those are beautiful)

I imagine these trims for all divisions will be low volume production, but still compete with one another a bit. It just seems like overkill.

My only fighting argument is that it offers the consumer a wide-variety of styles... Pontiac being sporty, Chevy being semi-sporty, and the Buick being more luxurious/premium.

I don't see a problem with Buick having a 'Super' trim level...they haven't used that name in 50 years or so, anyway. It sounds like they are using it the way previous sporty Buicks were called 'GS' or 'T-Type'....

moltar hit the nail on the head. The super trim is whatever they make it, on the Lucerne Super they won't give it an NHP N* b/c that is still a Cadillac exclusive... I would bet it would offer a 5.3L V8 and about 305-315hp huge a$$ front tires for tread and a new 6 speed automatic would be great on all the G-platform vehicles. *20's would look down right fine on a Lucerne, with the 5.3L AFM and a 6spd auto and price of under, 40K even if it is 39,900 that would be sweet!* (Hell CXL V8 starts at like 33K and CXS (w/V8) starts at 35-36K so 40K for a Super seems inline don't you think?) I just want the DTS Platinum!

moltar hit the nail on the head. The super trim is whatever they make it, on the Lucerne Super they won't give it an NHP N* b/c that is still a Cadillac exclusive... I would bet it would offer a 5.3L V8 and about 305-315hp huge a$$ front tires for tread and a new 6 speed automatic would be great on all the G-platform vehicles. *20's would look down right fine on a Lucerne, with the 5.3L AFM and a 6spd auto and price of under, 40K even if it is 39,900 that would be sweet!* (Hell CXL V8 starts at like 33K and CXS (w/V8) starts at 35-36K so 40K for a Super seems inline don't you think?) I just want the DTS Platinum!

Don't you think that if they could have put the 6A in the G-platform they would have put it in the $40+K Cadillac DTS this year? I know it debuted in a car half its price and nothing else because of limited quantity and trying to impress people from the start, but I still think if GM could have put it in the G-body, they would have for at least the DTS.

They should wait on this until Epsilon II...it's just a waist right now...sticking a big engine in an ancient architecture that can't handle it that well. It's too bad GM doesn't have respect for their performance badges like DCX does. You won't see any watered down SRT vehicles.

It's too bad GM doesn't have respect for their performance badges like DCX does. You won't see any watered down SRT vehicles.

Heh... no just watered down Jeeps and Chryslers. Thank god GM is developing more respect for Brand Identity. It's not like GM will come out with a Pontiac V-Series... :lol:

We haven't even seen the Supers yet, and people are bashing/dooming them. Let up. Most of you are not their target market. Buick isn't going after SRTs.

This comment is not meant to bash what I know nothing about yet, but more of a wish list. It would be kinda nice if something with the word "Super" in it, was actually Supercharged! Limited Production model with the supercharged Northstar engine along with a new 6-speed in a Lucerne. Then add your subtle extra aesthetic touches to signify the car being something above and beyond (ala 300C SRT8) and that would be a Lucerne Super to be proud off.

Heh... no just watered down Jeeps and Chryslers. Thank god GM is developing more respect for Brand Identity. It's not like GM will come out with a Pontiac V-Series... :lol:

We haven't even seen the Supers yet, and people are bashing/dooming them. Let up. Most of you are not their target market. Buick isn't going after SRTs.

How do you call a Jeep or a Chrysler with 400+ horses watered down? Although if you're referring to their normal entires like the Compass then I'd be inclined to agree.

Don't you think that if they could have put the 6A in the G-platform they would have put it in the $40+K Cadillac DTS this year? I know it debuted in a car half its price and nothing else because of limited quantity and trying to impress people from the start, but I still think if GM could have put it in the G-body, they would have for at least the DTS.

I wonder what the deal is with not using the 6A in the G-platform (or the W for that matter) is? They use it in the Epsilon, which is considerably smaller...I guess GM is just being cheap and not upgrading these platforms that are in their twilight years?

I don't think he was saying that the Jeep GC SRT8 is watered down. But that there is no brand identity. You can get a Dodge, a Chrysler or a Jeep with an SRT8 badge. I'm surprised DCX didn't call the Dodge SRT4 "Neon Kompressor"

It's different with Chrysler... SRT is a corporate-wide performance label across the 3 brands, while SS, GXP, V-series, etc are brand-specific within GM. It's a different paradigm.

Not true. I remember when the CTS-V came out all the bruhaha that was being spewed about the 5.7 not having DOHC and it not being refined enough for a Cadillac or to compete with BMW/Mercedes.

I think it was likely a timing and capacity issue.

I think it was likely a timing and capacity issue.

If that's the case, it should make it in for 2008. Then again, one could argue, "Why bother? It only has 3 more years."

Not true. I remember when the CTS-V came out all the bruhaha that was being spewed about the 5.7 not having DOHC and it not being refined enough for a Cadillac or to compete with BMW/Mercedes.

I remember that... it did seem strange for a Cadillac to have a Corvette engine... I would have rather seen the CTS-v have a Northstar variant, that would be more appropriate for a Cadillac, IMHO...though there is really nothing wrong with the 5.7/6.0.

I remember that... it did seem strange for a Cadillac to have a Corvette engine... I would have rather seen the CTS-v have a Northstar variant, that would be more appropriate for a Cadillac, IMHO...though there is really nothing wrong with the 5.7/6.0.

There is a difference. Nobody ever said, "Oh, that LS6/2 is so thrashy, unrefined, and sounds like crap. It really takes away from this car."

There was some initial whining from people who never actually drove the CTS-V that as a Cadillac, it should have DOHC. On the other hand, nobody has ever actually complained about the Corvette engine.

If anything, the LS6/2 added to the CTS-V's character. It has earned a reputation as being more raw and having more "muscle" than its competitors, and some people actually find that to be a good thing.

Basically, the pushrod 'Vette engine in the CTS-V never brought it down. Plenty of reviews of other GM vehicles HAVE complained that their pushrod V6's really took away from the driving enjoyment and made Honda's and Toyota's offerings more appealing.

Oooooo, Ooooooo, Oooooo......can I contribute?

Everyone KNOWS how I love to :deadhorse: on this issue.....

:rolleyes:

I'm game.

Edited by bcs296

Plenty of reviews of other GM vehicles HAVE complained that their pushrod V6's really took away from the driving enjoyment and made Honda's and Toyota's offerings more appealing.

True..the old V6s and 4spd autos are fine for rental cars, but if GM expects more people to buy their midsize FWD models, they need more competitive, class-appropriate hardware (which they are moving towards with cars like the Aura and '08 Malibu w/ the 3.6 and 6spd auto).

• 1 month later...

Grrr... I didn't think to ask. Thankfully April isn't that far away. We'll know soon enough! :pbjtime:

Are you referring to the New York show? Is that when the Super will debut? I wonder how long after that before it hits the Buick showrooms.

Edited by jpstax