Acura Investigating CDX Crossover For U.S.

A crossover being sold in China could be arriving in the U.S.

The appetite Americans have for crossovers is quite large and automakers are trying their best to appease this. Acura for its part is looking at whether it should bring the subcompact CDX crossover to the U.S.

Introduced for Chinese market last year, the CDX is underpinned by the same platform as the Honda HR-V. Power comes from a 1.5L turbo-four from the Civic and an eight-speed DCT.

“It’s a model that interests a lot of our people, so we have our R&D guys looking into the possibility,” said Jon Ikeda, group vice president for Acura to Wards Auto.

For Acura to bring the CDX over to the U.S., they would need to make a number of changes for the vehicle to meet the various regulations here.

Ikeda also revealed the brand is looking into derivatives of existing models to build up its crossover lineup. A possibility is a larger CUV with a more spacious third-row. But Ikeda does say Acura "needs to be mindful of its performance and luxury direction."

“There are many, many things we could do with derivatives of our vehicles. I’m never going to say never…(but) we have to be smart with how we approach it.”

Source: Wards Auto

Seems like a no brainer to try.  A less utilitarian HRV with the 1.5t would probably find some buyers if priced and equipped right.  It has more cargo room than most subcompact CUV's and compact hatchbacks.

I would say it is a 100% chance that they bring it here.  Crossovers are on fire, small crossovers are on fire.  And as far as Acura being worried about image as a "performance brand" outside of the NSX their most powerful vehicle has 320 hp, they are not a performance brand.  Ford has faster sedans and SUVs than Acura.

Who would Buy a subcompact CUV such as the Acura CDX here in the USA, particularly a luxury one?  I fail to see where there would be any space to sit in it and drive it.  It is not as if subcompact CARS are on fire from a sales perspective.

18 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Me.

I bought an Encore when it was first released and it has served us well.

Me.

I bought an Encore when it was first released and it has served us well.

A small vehicle is just the berries for an urban city like Pittsburgh or Columbus where you have to get in and out of tight spaces and park in weird places.

Of course they'll bring it here.... it's the fastest growing segment

Exactly.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:03 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Me.

I bought an Encore when it was first released and it has served us well.

Not luxury like the Buick, but my sister loves her Trax.  I fit in it just fine, and it's quite pleasant to drive, around town and on road trips..subcompact vehicles today seem quite refined compared to '80s models I've experienced long ago..(a new 4cyl subcompact SUV was way more desirable to her than a dying Northstar Caddy).

It's a no-brainer that they will sell it here, since they already have the HR-V here.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
    19 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Trax/Encore specifically have an unusually good amount of front driver room for such small vehicles.

26 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Seating position in both is rather agreeable as well.

Indeed... I feel very comfortable in the car when it's just the two of us. It's when we try to put 4 adults in there for a long trip that it becomes an issue.  We can do it... but it's tight.

Try taking a long trip with 4 adults in my MINI Cooper S...you will love the Buick afterwards....

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

At least on the older ones... I dislike how much outside noise gets into the Mini Cooper that I wouldn't want to take a long trip with just myself.

..this is why i am really looking forward to getting a better highway cruiser for the next ride.

27 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That is why I love my Escalade, so quiet, perfect for comfy road trips. Even buying a 2 or 3 year old version is worth it when you want a great highway cruiser.

You could probably fit an Acura CDX into the bed of an Escalade EXT...... such opposites.

It seems to be more difficult to make smaller cars quiet. I don't know why that seems to be.

I believe that without Quiet steel technology and a humongous does of sound deadening material, the short wheel base just transmits all the noise.

I notice that the Regular Escalade is more noisy than an ESV version. I also have relatives that own both an RDX and MDX and of course the MDX is quieter than the RDX, Have to believe less sound material is being used in the cheaper RDX.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:04 PM, riviera74 said:

Lots of people.  They could sell an ADX below the CDX if they wanted.  Lexus is building a crossover below the NX.  The Rav4 and CRV have grown, they need vehicles a size class below that which opens the door to smaller than NX and smaller than RDX crossovers.  And they could probably go a size below that to what the Encore is.  I bet Lincoln has a version of the Ford Ecosport within 2 years for $29,900.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:23 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I think Chevy could get a crossover in between Trax and Equinox, and another in between Equinox and Traverse.   Not sure if they could go below the Trax with a  Spark based crossover.   They could give Buick a 4th crossover.  There seems to be no saturation point with these things.

Except for the gas mileage part of it.

For the past decade, Acura has felt lost at sea. Not sure of what it wanted to be as a brand. This was shown by mixed messaging in their lineup as they weren’t sure to focus on luxury, technology, or sport. This muddled mess of identities would cause a fair amount of issues. But in the past couple of years, Acura started to get its act together thanks in part to new leadership. The first fruits of their efforts came last year in the form of the third-generation RDX.
      It has been over two years since I last drove an Acura, so when the opportunity for an RDX A-Spec landed on my desk, I took it with both hands. It was time to see what Acura has been up to and if they’re taking a step in the right direction.
      You Want Presence? You Got It!
      The RDX is the first production model to feature Acura’s newest design language and its no shrinking violet. The front end draws your attention with a large trapezoidal grille paired with a massive Acura emblem. Sitting on either side is Acura’s Jewel-Eye LED headlights that add a distinctive touch. My A-Spec tester takes it further with distinctive front and rear bumpers, 20-inch alloy wheels finished in black, and a special Apex Blue Pearl color that is only available on this trim. This crossover garnered a lot of looks during the week I had, something I hadn’t experience in quite some time.
      Cozy, Polarizing Interior
      The RDX’s interior captures the feeling of being in a sports car with a symmetrical dashboard design that cocoons the front passengers. A rotary drive-mode selector found in the center stack echos the design found in the NSX supercar. While it does emphasize the sporty nature of the vehicle, the position of the knob does make the climate controls a bit hard to reach. A-Spec models have some special touches such as red contrast stitching, a suede panel on the passenger side of the dashboard, and new trim for the instrument cluster that help it stand out. Material and build quality are quite close to some competitors from Germany.
      A set of sport seats with increased bolstering and power adjustments come standard on the A-Spec. I found them to be quite comfortable for any trip length and were able to hold me if I decided to be a bit enthusiastic. Back seat passengers will be plenty comfortable with an abundance of head and legroom. I would have like to see the back seat be able to slide forward and back to offer more comfort. Cargo space is towards the top of the class with 29.5 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 58.9 when folded. There’s also a little storage nook under the cargo floor to stash valuables.
      Intuitive Infotainment?
      Acura’s previous infotainment system drew a lot of ire from people. The dual-screen layout was confusing as some functions were split between the two screens such as changing the audio input. Not helping was the two different control methods for this setup; touchscreen for the bottom portion and a controller for the top screen. Thankfully, Acura has introduced a new infotainment system for the RDX. A large 10.2-inch screen sits on top of the dash and is controlled by a touchpad on the center console. Seeing the touchpad for the first time sent chills down my spine as I thought back to my frustrating experiences with Lexus’ Touchpad Controller. But Acura says this controller is much easier and logical to use than competitors. Okay, challenge accepted.
      Acura’s touchpad controller is slightly different from Lexus’ setup as it is mapped to the screen. So if you want to access the navigation, you tap that part of the pad that corresponds to the screen. This removes the dragging of the finger across the touchpad to get it to the selection you want. This seems quite logical on paper, but I found to be somewhat frustrating. It took me a few days to mind-meld with the system as I was still used to dragging my finger across the touchpad to select various functions. This made simple tasks such as changing presets or moving around in Apple CarPlay very tough.
      There is also a smaller touchpad that controls a small section of the screen. This allows you to scroll through three menus - audio, navigation, and clock. This would prove to be the most frustrating aspect of this system as it didn’t always recognize whenever I scroll down on the touchpad to move to another screen.
      Thankfully, Acura has left a number of physical controls for the audio and climate systems. I’m glad that some luxury automakers aren’t falling into the trap.
      Powertrain Goes Back To Its Roots
      The RDX has always found itself with a different powertrain throughout its various generations. The first version used a turbo-four engine, while the second-generation moved to a V6. For the third-generation, Acura went back to the RDX’s roots and settled on another turbo-four engine. The 2.0L engine punches out 272 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a 10-speed automatic and either front or my tester’s Super-Handling all-wheel drive system.
      The turbo-four is quite a potent engine with little turbo lag when leaving a stop and a seemingly endless amount of power for any situation. The ten-speed automatic is very smooth and quick when upshifting. But it does stumble somewhat when you need a quick shot of speed.
      I did notice that the 2.0L turbo isn’t a quiet engine when traveling on the expressway, going above 2,000 rpm when traveling at 70 mph. This may explain the slightly disappointing 21.7 mpg average I got during the week. EPA fuel economy figures for the A-Spec SH-AWD are 21 City/26 Highway/23 Combined. The standard RDX models see a small bump in their EPA fuel economy figures.
      Capable Driver
      Acura is no stranger to building a crossover that is good to drive, the larger MDX crossover is a prime example. But the RDX A-Spec takes that a step further. This version gets a slightly stiffer suspension setup which negates a fair amount of body roll on a winding road. The steering firms up nicely when pushed through corners. When going through the daily grind, the RDX A-Spec will let in a few more bumps and road imperfections due to its suspension tuning. Road and wind noise are kept to very minimal levels.
      Welcome Back Acura
      The 2020 RDX shows that Acura is starting to figure out what it wants to be; a brand that offers something playful in the class. The RDX certainly has the qualities with a bold exterior, punchy turbo-four, and a surprising chassis that offers sporty handling and a mostly-comfortable ride. The slightly-confounding infotainment system and poor fuel economy figures do sour it a bit. But the RDX is a very compelling alternative to many compact luxury crossovers.
      It does give me hope that Acura is figuring out who it wants to be and excited to see what comes down the road such as the new TLX.
      How I Would Configure An RDX: For me, I would basically take the exact RDX tester seen here. That will set me back $47,195 after adding destination and $400.00 paint option. Everyone else should look at the Technology package that will get you most of the safety equipment that is part of Acurawatch, along with a 12-speaker ELS audio system, navigation, and parking sensors. It will not break the bank at $41,000 for FWD or $43,000 for AWD.
      Disclaimer: Acura Provided the RDX, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Acura
      Model: RDX
      Trim: A-Spec
      Engine: Turbocharged 2.0L DOHC 16-Valve VTEC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: 10-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 272 @ 6,500
      Torque @ RPM: 280 @ 1,600 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 21/26/23
      Curb Weight: 4,015 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: East Liberty, Ohio
      Base Price: $45,800
      As Tested Price: $47,195 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Exterior Color - $400.00

You Want Presence? You Got It!
      Cozy, Polarizing Interior
      Horsepower @ RPM: 272 @ 6,500
      Torque @ RPM: 280 @ 1,600 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 21/26/23
      Curb Weight: 4,015 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: East Liberty, Ohio
      Base Price: $45,800
      As Tested Price: $47,195 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Exterior Color - $400.00

• '77 Impala 4-dr listed weight was 3670. 'Obviously enough'... I dunno : 250/auto car did 0-60 in almost 17 secs (350 V8 car did it in 9.8 secs).
    • A '77 Bonneville 2-dr's listed weight was 3579. A '76 Bonneville 2-dr's listed weight was 4308. Not quite 1000 there. But at Cadillac, the Deville lost 9" and the Brougham lost 12", with an average weight loss of 950 lbs. In '75, the Catalina, Bonneville & Grand Ville engine choices were either the 455 or the 400. Prior to that; '70-73, the Catalina base engine was the 355. (  )
    • Whoops. Wrong thread. I thought I posted this in random thoughts
    • They still weighed quite a bit, so they must have weighed a helluva lot before the downsize. The downsize was obviously enough for 250 inline 6s to pull Impalas, 231 V6s to pull LeSabres, and 260 V8s to pull Eighty-Eights, though maybe not in that initial year.  I've only ridden in the "post downsize" ones so I don't know if they kept the ride quality of the land yacht GMs that came before them. When the colonnades got downsized (A-body to G-body, I believe), the ride quality remained, but they felt lighter and more nimble.

1. LosAngeles
      LosAngeles

There are no registered users currently online