Acura Investigating CDX Crossover For U.S.

A crossover being sold in China could be arriving in the U.S.

The appetite Americans have for crossovers is quite large and automakers are trying their best to appease this. Acura for its part is looking at whether it should bring the subcompact CDX crossover to the U.S.

Introduced for Chinese market last year, the CDX is underpinned by the same platform as the Honda HR-V. Power comes from a 1.5L turbo-four from the Civic and an eight-speed DCT.

“It’s a model that interests a lot of our people, so we have our R&D guys looking into the possibility,” said Jon Ikeda, group vice president for Acura to Wards Auto.

For Acura to bring the CDX over to the U.S., they would need to make a number of changes for the vehicle to meet the various regulations here.

Ikeda also revealed the brand is looking into derivatives of existing models to build up its crossover lineup. A possibility is a larger CUV with a more spacious third-row. But Ikeda does say Acura "needs to be mindful of its performance and luxury direction."

“There are many, many things we could do with derivatives of our vehicles. I’m never going to say never…(but) we have to be smart with how we approach it.”

Source: Wards Auto

Seems like a no brainer to try.  A less utilitarian HRV with the 1.5t would probably find some buyers if priced and equipped right.  It has more cargo room than most subcompact CUV's and compact hatchbacks.

I would say it is a 100% chance that they bring it here.  Crossovers are on fire, small crossovers are on fire.  And as far as Acura being worried about image as a "performance brand" outside of the NSX their most powerful vehicle has 320 hp, they are not a performance brand.  Ford has faster sedans and SUVs than Acura.

Who would Buy a subcompact CUV such as the Acura CDX here in the USA, particularly a luxury one?  I fail to see where there would be any space to sit in it and drive it.  It is not as if subcompact CARS are on fire from a sales perspective.

Buick sells about 80k Encores a year in the US,  more than the Camaro the last few years and it is smaller than the HRV... which also is selling at the same pace as the Encore.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Me.

I bought an Encore when it was first released and it has served us well.

• Agree 1

Me.

I bought an Encore when it was first released and it has served us well.

A small vehicle is just the berries for an urban city like Pittsburgh or Columbus where you have to get in and out of tight spaces and park in weird places.

Of course they'll bring it here.... it's the fastest growing segment

Exactly.

10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

If? If?

$h!, it's already on the way....

Just don't ask how I know....:P

Inquiring minds want to know! :P

• Agree 1

On 4/29/2017 at 3:03 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Me.

I bought an Encore when it was first released and it has served us well.

Not luxury like the Buick, but my sister loves her Trax.  I fit in it just fine, and it's quite pleasant to drive, around town and on road trips..subcompact vehicles today seem quite refined compared to '80s models I've experienced long ago..(a new 4cyl subcompact SUV was way more desirable to her than a dying Northstar Caddy).

It's a no-brainer that they will sell it here, since they already have the HR-V here.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
    • Agree 2

19 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Trax/Encore specifically have an unusually good amount of front driver room for such small vehicles.

26 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Seating position in both is rather agreeable as well.

Indeed... I feel very comfortable in the car when it's just the two of us. It's when we try to put 4 adults in there for a long trip that it becomes an issue.  We can do it... but it's tight.

Try taking a long trip with 4 adults in my MINI Cooper S...you will love the Buick afterwards....

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

At least on the older ones... I dislike how much outside noise gets into the Mini Cooper that I wouldn't want to take a long trip with just myself.

..this is why i am really looking forward to getting a better highway cruiser for the next ride.

27 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That is why I love my Escalade, so quiet, perfect for comfy road trips. Even buying a 2 or 3 year old version is worth it when you want a great highway cruiser.

• Agree 1

You could probably fit an Acura CDX into the bed of an Escalade EXT...... such opposites.

It seems to be more difficult to make smaller cars quiet. I don't know why that seems to be.

I believe that without Quiet steel technology and a humongous does of sound deadening material, the short wheel base just transmits all the noise.

I notice that the Regular Escalade is more noisy than an ESV version. I also have relatives that own both an RDX and MDX and of course the MDX is quieter than the RDX, Have to believe less sound material is being used in the cheaper RDX.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:04 PM, riviera74 said:

Lots of people.  They could sell an ADX below the CDX if they wanted.  Lexus is building a crossover below the NX.  The Rav4 and CRV have grown, they need vehicles a size class below that which opens the door to smaller than NX and smaller than RDX crossovers.  And they could probably go a size below that to what the Encore is.  I bet Lincoln has a version of the Ford Ecosport within 2 years for $29,900.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:23 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I think Chevy could get a crossover in between Trax and Equinox, and another in between Equinox and Traverse.   Not sure if they could go below the Trax with a  Spark based crossover.   They could give Buick a 4th crossover.  There seems to be no saturation point with these things.

Except for the gas mileage part of it.

• Have you considered instead of the OEM battery, an upgrade of a Lithium-ion auto battery that will last much longer and give a better performance response to the system? I have them in my autos and other coworkers have them and they work great.
    • How is that any different than the Pickup Failure Benz did of just Badge Engineering the Navero built by Nissan? Mercedes has their FWD appliance autos to compete against so many basic entry-level autos, badged autos by others and the list is long for their failures as much as their wins. You also are showing your ignorance as while Genesis does not sell their Ubber 6 figure luxury auto's here, they do in the asian rim and have plans as an EV to sell them Globally. I know others have posted about this and I know I have posted in the past.  Just like Mercedes makes and sells select autos in the US, same with every other auto company. G90 Long Wheelbase is their competitor to the S-Class and offers just as much customization and can go well beyond $150,000 dollars depending on how the 1% crowd chooses to customize it. Genesis G90 Design | GENESIS Here is a basic config I did of things I liked and it came out to $140,563 US dollars.
    • Update on the Canyon.  Still going strong.  No real issues to speak of.  I thought I had an annoying rattle on the rear sliding window pop up but it turned out the gaskets on the tri-fold tonneau cover compressed enough over time to allow it to shift slightly and one of the plastic clips was tapping on the back window.  That was a 5 minute fix to loosen it up, reposition it and re-tighten. Fuel economy was pretty abysmal over the winter.  To the point where I wonder if a V8 full size would have done any worse.  A lot of it had to do with the fact that I am still working from home so with no commute, most of my trips are short and the engine barely had time to get warm.  Still, I think I had one tank come in at 14.9 mpg.  That was a bit of an outlier and most were in the high 15's or low 16's.  Now that it is warm, it is generally averaging low to mid 17's and any longer trips I have taken with it have been more in the 21-22 mpg range. It still annoys the crap out of me that a Denali does not have a Homelink garage door opener built in.  I also continued to be annoyed by actually having to get the keys out of my pocket to unlock the doors and start it.  I know that may sound ridiculous but once you have a number of cars in a row that have passive entry and push button start, its annoying to live with out.  Call me spoiled. haha I do wonder if I would have been better off with a full size truck.  What appealed to me most about the Canyon (its size) is also my biggest problem with it.  The front seats are fine but my long legged son is not too comfortable in the back seat.  We also have a dog we take with us on our camping trips and it doesn't work very well for her.  She's a bit of a nervous traveler so the floor is the best spot for her but there is no room there in the truck so she has to sit on someone's lap.  That said, while those areas would be better in a full size, I know my wife would hate parking one.  I also know since it stays parked in the driveway, I would have had to make my driveway a little wider to make it easier to get the other vehicles in and out of the garage and while I would have liked the interior room in the full size much better, the Canyon overall just fits us better.
    • Wow.  It's been a year since I have updated this.  We still have the van and it is still going strong.  No real issues since the last update.  The suspension creaking is back but you only hear it at low speeds so not that big of a deal.  The only other issue is that the start/stop battery needs replaced again.  It hasn't actually died like last time but it almost never has enough charge to work.  I'd guess for a lot of you this would be ideal but I am one of the few oddballs that actually likes stop/start.  It feels so wasteful to me to sit at a light with the engine still running.  I'll likely wind up spending the $100 for a new one soon and yes, I know I will never get my money back from the gas I save, even at current gas prices 😄 Anyway, it is up to 44k miles now.  The wife and I still both work from home so it went from having 32k miles put on it in the first 22 months of ownership to having only 12k miles put on it in the next 26 months of ownership.  That includes another trip to Florida we did back in March.  I did have to buy a new set of tires.  I went with Firestone Destination LE3 tires and they are working out pretty well.  They are quiet and smooth riding tires but have a little less wet traction than I was hoping based on the reviews.  Still not bad, though. That's about it really.  I did pull the camper with it again (200 mile round trip) a month or so ago even though I have a Canyon now.  The Canyon was busy at the time.  The trans temp is always steady and the brakes are more than adequate to stop our 2000 lb pop up. The thought is we will likely keep this another year.  Its a bit tricky because we would like to take advantage of the ridiculous used car market, especially since it will show two accidents on a Carfax but at the same time what is the difference if we wind up just spending that extra money and then some on a new vehicle with no real discounts.
    • True but it is still a Ford.  Lincoln makes nothing of their own, just fancy Fords.

• There are no registered users currently online