2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 To Begin At $40,995

• Chevrolet's Off-Road Special Gets Priced

It is a good time if you happen to be interested in off-road pickups. The Ford F-150 Raptor, Ram Power Wagon, and Toyota's TRD Pro lineup offer their unique take. Soon, the 2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 will have its own take for your consideration.

Today, Chevrolet revealed the base price of the Colorado ZR2 which begins at $40,995 (includes a $940 destination charge). That will net you the extended cab model with the 3.6L V6. Chevrolet isn't talking pricing for the crew cab or the option of the 2.8L Duramax Turbodiesel. This price undercuts the base Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro by $705.

The list of standard equipment is quite extensive with front and rear locking electronic diffs, DSSV dampers, a 2-inch suspension lift, new bumpers, spray-in bedliner, 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, aluminum skid plate, six-speaker audio system, 8-inch touchscreen with Chevrolet MyLink, and wireless phone charging.

Source: Chevrolet
    Press Release is on Page 2

CHEVROLET ANNOUNCES 2017 COLORADO ZR2 PRICING STARTING AT $40,995

• Chevy’s all-new off-road performance truck will be priced more competitively and have better standard equipment than the nearest comparable vehicles

DETROIT — After revitalizing an entire truck market segment with the launch of the Chevy Colorado, Chevrolet continues to innovate in the midsize pickup segment. The high-performance, off-road ZR2 trim level will launch this spring for the 2017 model year with a starting price of $40,995 MSRP including a $940 destination fee.

“ZR2 is truly a segment of one and does everything well — from traversing heavy two-track trails to high-speed desert running and full-on rock crawling. We’re thrilled to be able to offer it for more than $2,500 less than the next closest comparable vehicles. Taken in the context of serious off-roading, $2,000 will buy you 50 years of annual passes to Arches National Park in Moab, Utah,” said Sandor Piszar, Chevrolet Trucks marketing director.

“Some vehicles that customers might cross-shop with ZR2 can spec out as much as $26,000 more than our truck — or the price of a well-equipped 2017 Colorado. When you buy a ZR2 at the starting price of $40,995, you are getting all of the significant off-road technologies standard with the vehicle, as well as an eight-speed automatic transmission and a wealth of other features at no additional cost.”

Available options on the 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 will include:

• Class-exclusive 2.8L Duramax Turbo-Diesel engine, paired with a six-speed automatic transmission, capable of 186 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque
    • Choice of crew- or extended cab configurations (including short and long beds, respectively)
    • 7-speaker Bose premium audio system
    • Dealer-installed, bed-mounted spare tire carrier
    • Full-length black vinyl floor (no additional cost — standard interior features leather seats and carpet)

The ZR2’s starting MSRP includes a number of key standard features unique to the trim level, such as:

• Class-exclusive front and rear locking electronic differentials
    • Revolutionary, segment-exclusive Multimatic Dynamic Suspensions Spool Valve (DSSVTM) dampers
    • Off-road rocker protection
    • Modified front and rear bumpers for better off-road obstacle clearance
    • Exclusive ZR2 17 x 8-inch aluminum alloy wheels
    • 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac off-road tires
    • New cast-iron control arms
    • An aluminum skidplate that protects the radiator and engine oil pan
    • Autotrac transfer case
    • Transfer case shield
    • Aggressive grille and hood combo unique to ZR2
    • Modified rear axle with a 3.42 ratio
    • Front and rear tracks widened 3.5 inches over a standard Colorado
    • Suspension lifted 2 inches over a standard Colorado
    • Off-Road Mode Technology
    • 4-wheel disc brakes

Other standard features include:

• Tow/haul mode
    • Trailering Package, including trailer hitch and 7-pin connector
    • Integrated trailer brake controller
    • Spray-on bedliner
    • Heated driver and passenger front seats
    • Wireless phone charging
    • Rear sliding window
    • EZ Lift and Lower tailgate
    • Locking tailgate
    • Recovery hooks
    • A six-speaker audio system with Chevrolet MyLink Radio with Navigation and an 8-inch diagonal color touchscreen, AM/FM stereo with seek-and-scan and a digital clock, Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones, voice-activated technology for radio and phone featuring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability as well as an auxiliary jack
    • All-terrain spare tire with unique ZR2 wheel
    • Four USB ports: one on the instrument panel, one in the center console and two in the rear of the center console
    • Electronic automatic cruise control
    • Rear window electric defogger
    • OnStar 4G LTE with built-in Wi-Fi
    • Rear Vision Camera
    • Remote keyless entry
    • Remote vehicle starter system
    • 4-way power front driver and passenger seat adjuster with power driver lumbar control
    • Rear seats with underseat storage

Standard powertrain is the 3.6L DI DOHC V6 with a class-leading 308 horsepower and 275 lb-ft of torque that is shared with other Colorado models.

The ZR2 is available only as a four-wheel-drive vehicle.

The 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 goes on sale this spring.

Hmmm!

With a crew cab and a little off sticker with my GM money on the GM card I might actually may consider this.

I had not expected it this low price. I expected loaded up $48K and saw even Motor Trend or one of the magazine estimated starting price would be $42K

the only option I would want is the upgrade on the stereo as the rest of the things I want are standard.

Um hum.  Amazing price for the capability.  As I figured undercuts he larger Raptor by roughly 10 grand (with the locking front while the Raptor only offers an LSD front and it is an option) and even undercuts the TRD Pro.  Very impressed.  I WILL have one of these even if I have to wait a few years for a used one.

V6, extended cab, no options needed though I like that tire carrier and fullsize spare.  MT tested a new 17 4x4 and it a full second quicker to 60 that the 15-16s, 6.1 0 to 60, i can live with that.

I remember reading about that '17 4x4. The numbers made it look like a ringer because they didn't make sense how quick that truck was.

I'll eat my crow when I hear about the 2.8's starting price.. anybody have a link to that old thread???

Just as a guess i am going to throw a 5k premium for the crew/diesel combo.

I might be able to shine some light on the Duramax diesel option. This is from Autoblog,

You might wonder what adding the Duramax diesel inline-four will do to the bottom line. The short answer is around $3,980 – the same as the basic step-up from the 3.6-liter V6 in the non-ZR2 Colorados to a Duramax. The longer answer involved a quick chat with a Chevrolet spokesperson, who told us that choosing the Duramax in the ZR2 may come bundled with some other features, so the real-world price for the diesel may be slightly higher. Whether the Duramax's ample torque and economy are worth the step-up in price will be up to the buyer.

It's just a sweet package and I can testify that I still see way more old-gen ZR2 pickups and Blazers on the road than lesser T-trucks... that stronger running gear and ready look transform them into trucks that ppl love to hold on to.

3 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I think some people on here better enjoy that crow they're eating right now!!!

Oh, and SO MUCH EFFING WANT!!!!

I was wrong and I with pleasure will say I was about 8 grand off.

Now you be honest and admit it is even cheaper fully loaded than you even expected. I just saw a magazine that predicted base price of $42K so there is a lot of people who never expected it.

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

So my worst-case-scenario price was still conservative.

Sorry I missed this you want a piece of crow too. There is enough for all of us.LOL!

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

"Yeah when I was thinking 48k I was thinking only if the diesel and crew cab. Eliminate those two options and it would be more like 43k. So those are my two numbers.

Single cab, 3.6 = 43k

crew cab. 2.8 = 48k"

Dingo.PNG

I figured around $44.999 as base on the crew and then the options would take it to around $47-48K. The Diesel I expected $49-50K. I did not ever see it coming in loaded at $40K.

Looking at the list there is really nothing to add but the Bose radio. I would not want plastic floor liners and I would skip the bed spare. It looks neat but I am not removing it every-time I want to haul something.

Now the question is will they add more power with the Camaro engine? It would appear as a natural addition at some point. Not everyone wants a Diesel.

Now I just need to sell the HHR and talk the wife into it.

To be honest the HHR will help as my buddy just sold his for $10K and made money on it from what he paid 2 years ago. It has more miles and more stone chips. Mine is nearly show room clean. I should get s decent price out of it.

I am excited. I just hope I can work all this out once they get more on dealer lots. I will not go get one and pay sticker or anything close to sticker. If needed I will wait it out a bit and also I have a ton of GM card money. I will wait for double value offerings.

Edited by hyperv6

Talked to the wife and she is all good on this. Now I just need to wait for supplies to come up to where they will deal.

I have the luxury that I do not need to have it right now and I refuse to pay the price just to be an early buyer.

it has been a while since I have been excited about a vehicle.

i had considered a Camaro but I would never want to take it in the salt or get stone chips. Though it would be a blast on snow. I miss my olds car days with posi.

With this it is a truck. Drive it.

15 hours ago, Stew said:

Just as a guess i am going to throw a 5k premium for the crew/diesel combo.

That seems about right unless they force you into an option or two with the diesel engine which could drive it up a tad more but 5k seems about right.

9 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

Well isn't that freakin' exciting!?!?

This truck is actually a worthwhile upgrade over the Z71. The Tacoma TRD Pro is not over the standard Off Road.

If I were buying such a vehicle, my choice would be-

1) ZR2

2) Tacoma TRD Off-Road

3) Colorado Z71

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Well isn't that freakin' exciting!?!?

I anticipate it may be 8 months before they start to come off sticker price. It will be a long wait as they will not even hit dealers till May.

But I refuse to pay sticker.

I will play all my options and hope to get the payment down pretty good.

I just need to get the HHR sold but with only 48K miles and in show like condition I should do ok on it. Most  of them out there today are over 100K miles and many even with lower miles were rode hard and put away wet.

I love driving the SS but the Z is the first thing as a daily driver that really has captured my attention. I am using the Malibu as a daily driver now but that will go to my son to get him to a Job he will need to get in the coming year. I though about putting him in the SS but the Insurance would be crazy. Also no 16 year old needs a 160 MPH 4 cylinder FWD.

I remember all that I did at that age. It is amazing I am still here in spite of it all.

By all rights my buddy and I should not be here. The real scary part now is he has an airplane and we take to the skys.

At least we do not do anything stupid now but like I told him we really should not be up here with all we have done. LOL!  It does make it nice to fly to a race and come home in a half hour vs. 3 hours.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It comes surprisingly well equipped for the base ZR2.  Funn story, friend was trying to tell me they had already ordered a Colorado ZR2 yesterday.  No doubt it is vaporware like his CHarger, Genesis coupe, and turbo Jetta yet all he is ever in is his old late 90s Camry.   Hmmmmm......

18 minutes ago, Stew said:

LOL those people annoy the hell out of me until I am used to them.. then I just find that shet hilarious. People that are just ALWAYS full of shet.

Drives me freaking nuts and way too many around here.  I think I am going to start telling people I already got a ZR2, one of the test mules, a know, the ones that are normally crushed haha.

1 hour ago, hyperv6 said:

But I refuse to pay sticker.

I will play all my options and hope to get the payment down pretty good.

Why would you refuse to pay sticker?

Colorados don't have incentives anyway, and there's only about $1,500 of markup in a loaded Colorado.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

• Popular Stories

1. Intrepidation
      Intrepidation
    2. WCCPSGM
      WCCPSGM

Mazda is already known for building vehicles that are fun to drive and is garnering one for their distinctive designs. One area that Mazda might not get a lot of credit is the constant improvements they make to their lineup. Take for example the Mazda6 sedan. Since its launch back in 2013 as a 2014 model, Mazda has been updating the 6 with new improvements and features to make it better. For example, when we drove the 2016 Mazda6 back in 2015, it featured new dashboard and infotainment system that made it more pleasant to be in. For 2017, Mazda has introduced two big changes for 6 - one dealing with handling and the other dealing with overall refinement.
      First up is Mazda’s G-Vectoring Control. This system monitors steering and throttle input (along with a few other things according to the brand), and when it deems necessary, will reduce engine power to shift weight to the front. This is said to improve overall handling in a corner. Here’s the thing, I really can’t tell if this system makes the 2017 Mazda6 a better handler than the previous 6 I drove back in 2015. The model shows the sharp handling characteristics that has made it one of the best driving models in the class with little body roll and steering that feels direct.  I would need to drive both a 2016 and 2017 Mazda6 back to back to see if there is a difference. The other improvement for the 2017 Mazda6 will be noticed by anyone going for a ride; a quieter interior. Mazda has added a bit more sound insulation for the 6 and it makes for a more pleasant driving experience. There isn’t as much wind whistle as there was in previous 6s I have driven. You still do get a fair amount of tire noise, but that’s more due to the 19-inch wheels fitted on the Grand Touring. The 19-inch wheels also make the ride slightly rough with various bumps being transmitted clearly to the backsides of you and your passengers. Mazda hasn’t messed with anything else for the 2017 6 and that’s mostly a good thing. It still retains the striking good looks of the outside, especially in this bronze color seen here.  The Mazda6’s interior is towards the top of the class with a modern design, high-quality materials, and an easy to understand control layout. The leather seats offer the right amount of comfort for long trips. Those sitting in the back will have no complaints in terms of head and legroom. Under the hood is a 2.5L SkyActiv-G four-cylinder engine with 184 horsepower and 185 pound-feet of torque. Sport and Touring models get the option of either a six-speed manual or automatic, while the Grand Touring makes due with only the automatic. The engine is a spritely performer with strong acceleration and having the power ready to go when needed. The six-speed is quick when it comes to downshifts. But the transmission does stumble when it comes to upshifts as it is slow to respond when you need that punch of power. At least the automatic transmission does feature paddles on the steering wheel to allow for some manual control to solve this. The continuous updates Mazda makes to the vehicles should be applauded as it helps keep them competitive in light of tougher competition. The 2017 Mazda6 is a key example of this. You might not be able to detect one of the changes made, but the other one us quite noticeable and makes the 6 that much better. Disclaimer: Mazda Provided the 6, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Mazda
      Model: 6
      Trim: Grand Touring
      Engine: 2.5L DOHC Skyactiv-G Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Six-Speed Automatic
      Horsepower @ RPM: 184 @ 5,700
      Torque @ RPM: 185 @ 3,250
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 27/35/30
      Curb Weight: 3,305 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Hofu, Japan
      Base Price: $30,695
      As Tested Price: $34,530 (Includes $835.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:

Horsepower @ RPM: 184 @ 5,700
      Torque @ RPM: 185 @ 3,250
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 27/35/30
      Curb Weight: 3,305 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Hofu, Japan
      Base Price: $30,695
      As Tested Price: $34,530 (Includes $835.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      GT Premium Package - $2,500.00
      Machine Gray Metallic - $300.00
      Door Sill Trim Plates - $125.00
      Cargo Mat - $75.00
      If it weren't for focus groups, the design of the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox could have looked so much different.
      Speaking to Automotive News, chief engineer of the 2018 Equinox Mark Cieslak revealed that focus groups weren't not impressed with the first designs of the redesigned model. They described the design as being bulky, 'not compelling', and looking a bit odd. If this was old GM, they would have gone forward with the design.
      "Back in the day, we would have probably just kept going," said Cieslak.
      "What we had on paper we felt was not going to win."
      But this being the new GM where bean counters lost a fair amount of influence, the decision was made to go back to the drawing board. At the time, GM was scrambling to fix the Malibu as its redesign earned poor reviews and a drop in sales which likely played a part in this decision. They needed to get the Equinox redesign right as the model it would replace was very popular. There were concerns that this could cause the new Equinox to be delayed. But in the end, the team were able to design a new Equinox without falling off schedule.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

"Back in the day, we would have probably just kept going," said Cieslak.
      "What we had on paper we felt was not going to win."
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt - Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.cheersandgears.com
      Tesla Officially in Trouble, Business Insider Says!

To quote Business Insider final comments on Tesla and the Chevy Bolt:
      "Clearly, Tesla would be in less trouble if the Chevy Bolt were a bad car. But it isn't. Teslas have always blown me away. The Bolt blew me away for different reasons. I just hope Tesla is prepared to take this into account."
      Matthew is a Business Insider senior correspondent who covers transportation and as a fan of Tesla was excited to check out a Chevy BOLT as comparison to the Tesla. On a recent trip to california he took time to visit the closet Chevrolet Dealer to his hotel and this is what he found.
      He states that to borrow Barkley's line, "Tesla is in trouble." You have one of the world's biggest auto companies that is known for killing the electric auto stepping off the sidelines and actually committing considerable resources to building a long range EV where it can afford to lose money on it long term till the market changes. Tesla has 400,000 plus pre-orders, but is burning through cash by the billions and while the launch of the Tesla 3 is near and Tesla still has Sexy much like Apple to an iPhone. Tesla does not have the depth of customer auto experience to pull from and as the author points out, Tesla balance sheet is precarious as it is based on raising funds on a growth story. The author goes onto say that no one will cross shop a Tesla S or X with the Chevy BOLT. They will due to limited options cross shop the Tesla 3 to the Bolt.
      To pull some interesting statements from the story, the author had the following to say:
      "I found it more fun to drive than both the Tesla Model S and the Model X, but not the original Roadster, a much smaller vehicle."
      "The Bolt is plenty fast for most people."
      "GM isn't going to overwhelm Tesla with Bolt sales. I actually think the Model 3 will greatly outsell the Bolt once Tesla's car arrives. However, it's also possible that if the Model 3 is delayed or is slow to ramp up, Chevy will be preparing a mid-cycle refresh of the Bolt before Model 3 sales start to achieve some major momentum. In other words, GM will always be ahead, and the company — barring another massive financial meltdown — will never stop putting the Bolt up against the Model 3."
      BI covered the BOLT in follow stories with the next one being more of an official review that starts off with covering the auto with the following statement: "A platform, not business as usual!"
      From ride-hailing to ride-sharing, self driving Chevy has delivered an auto for the future that gives GM options on how they build and expand their EV lineup. BI took delivery of their white Premier BOLT just before the blizzard that hit NY. Clearly a compact-crossover-hatchback look, design is what the magazine employees felt it was and is. Surprising the BI reviewers was the amount of cargo the auto can hold and how well it handled 4 people and grocery getting. BI states that GM has told them the next addition to the BOLT lineup will be a larger auto that can accommodate 5 or more people. An exceptionally well executed minimalist design that comes with an interior that feels more premium in comparison to auto's this size in the past from GM that felt clearly parts bin cheap. The review goes on to talk about how setting the front seat for a 6'4" tall driver and getting in the back with room ahead of the knees for the same size person is a nice welcome addition to such a compact auto. Heated steering wheel was welcomed by all. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto kept everyone happily connected to their phone while driving.
      The final statement to quote from the review is as follows:
      "We were impressed with the Bolt, as a car, as an electric car, and as a mobility concept. In many ways, it is GM's post-bankruptcy masterpiece, a real feather in the cap of CEO Mary Barra and her executive team, who took what the company had achieved with its ill-fated EV-1 back in the 1990s and turned it up to 11.
      I also flat-out loved driving it. I blasted in and out of New York City twice, rocketed around the streets of Gotham, darting through traffic, and cruised along the highways of New Jersey. I also enjoyed just driving it around the quiet streets of the suburb where I live.
      The steering is quick and responsive, and the handling is sharp enough to provide the confidence you need when surfing that sweet EV torque.
      The single-pedal mode is also very cool — I dug not using the brakes at all for extended excursions in my town. After a bit of practice, you get into a kind of Zen state with it.
      Not a single person asked me about the car, and that can be chalked up to the ho-hum design. But I didn't care. I was lovin' it. Plain and simple, the Bolt is fun."
      Here is where we have overlap between story #2 and Story #3 which covers the 7 Killer Features:
      Dual Screens- 10.2" touch screen infotainment center & an 8" drivers console display which are totally customizable. Auto's wireless charging console. BOLT App allowing you to be connected to your auto at all times. Five cameras: front, rear, side mirrors and their 360 camera. 9hr full charge time from a 240 volt charger. 25 miles per hour, faster with Level 3 DC charging. Lane Keep assist feature. Modern Seat design allowing for maximum space inside. Over all these writeups show that GM has delivered a superior auto to the Prius, Leaf, 500e, etc. The future will be bright for the BOLT as GM move the platform forward.

BI Story #1