The mid-engine Corvette is the rumor that won't die. This past year has seen speculation explode thanks to spy shots showing a mid-engine mule running around GM's Milford Proving Grounds. The Detroit News has published a report today saying the model would arrive in 2019 along with other details about the model.
We're going to give a summary of the most interesting bits from the report, but we highly recommend checking out the full piece.
- Has the codename of Emperor and is expected to debut in early 2018 (most likely Detroit)
- The goal for this model is to try and draw younger folks into buying a Corvette. The average age of a Corvette owner is around 59 years old.
- A source says the mid-engine Corvette will become the sole variant after 2021. This is when the current C7 Corvette will end production.
- Could be the basis for a sports car wearing the Cadillac badge
- Bob Lutz and former chief engineer for the Corvette, Tom Wallace said they got plans for a mid-engine Corvette approved in 2007. These plans would be shelved only a couple years later due to the bankruptcy.
Source: The Detroit News