Jump to content
Create New...
  • Drew Dowdell
    Drew Dowdell

    Honda Gives the CR-V a Buff and a Shine.... and a Hybrid

      ...just a mild refresh, but a full hybrid...

    Honda debuted the 2020 Honda CR-V today with a lightly refreshed exterior, but with a big announcement under the hood.  This is the first time Honda  will be offering the CR-V with a Hybrid Powertrain.  There are some other powertrain changes as well.

    Starting with the Hybrid, the system is a two motor hybrid that combines electric power with gasoline propulsion from a 2.0 liter DOHC engine. This engine boasts a thermal efficiency over 40 percent, the highest of any mass-produced Honda engine.  Peak total system horsepower for the Hybrid is now 212, up from 190 on the standard gasoline model. This is the same powertrain found in the Accord Hybrid. It is also the first time Honda has offered AWD on a hybrid vehicle. In times of low traction, a clutch can engage an electric motor to the rear wheels to help with grip.  Hybrid models are equipped with Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System, a small speaker on the front of the car that makes a noise for passers by while the vehicle is traveling in electric only mode.

    Previously, base model CR-V LXes got a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder. Now for 2020, all non-hybrid CR-Vs will come with the 190 hp 1.5-liter turbo unit. No matter which mode of power you choose, power flows to the wheels through a CVT. 

    On the safety front, the CR-V now comes standard with Honda Sensing, a suite of sweet safety technologies that include Collision Mitigation Braking System, Road Departure Mitigation, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Lane Keep Assist. Additionally, as an option, are blind spot information, rear cross traffic monitor, and auto high beam headlights. 

    EPA figures will be released closer to launch, but Honda is forecasting a 50% increase in fuel economy over the non-hybrid models. Non-hybrid production begins this fall and hybrid production starts in early 2020. 

     

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    I agree!  I see some new features on the Hybrid!  Heated steering wheel, paddle shifters, wireless charging, parking sensors and LED fog lights!  This could be my next new car!  Hybrid will be great for all of my work driving too 😊

    Edited by Matt 967
    • Like 1
    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    9 minutes ago, Matt 967 said:

    I agree!  I see some new features on the Hybrid!  Heated steering wheel, paddle shifters, wireless charging, parking sensors and LED fog lights!  This could be my next new car!  Hybrid will be great for all of my work driving too 😊

    An estimated 40mpg if the 50% increase in fuel economy figure holds up.  That would be great for you.

    • Agree 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Over all nice but plain CUV, fits the Honda customer profile and should serve them well. The wood trim looks real and not that plastic fake look but that could just be the pictures.

    Two things: 

    1. This is going to make it harder for GM to do their package overprice as so much is now included in the base units.
    2. GM and FCA need to get their act together to have a Hybrid CUV or EV CUV ASAP as Ford has Hybrids that folks like and now Honda.

    This will help push more towards the Hybrid / EV world as these options come out hopefully reasonably priced.

    • Agree 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    GM and FCA need to get their act together to have a Hybrid CUV or EV CUV ASAP as Ford has Hybrids that folks like and now Honda.

    Don't forget about the other best seller that has a hybrid, RAV4. It starts less than 28k, too.  

    • Thanks 1
    • Disagree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The RAV4 hybrid is selling at 100K+ a year clip in the US last I checked, so Honda needed to get this here.  In Canada currently there is almost a six month wait upon ordering a RAV4 hybrid.  They should probably have the option for their thirstier midsize/3 row models too (Passport/Pilot)

     

     

     

    Edited by frogger
    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    5 hours ago, dfelt said:

    Over all nice but plain CUV, fits the Honda customer profile and should serve them well. The wood trim looks real and not that plastic fake look but that could just be the pictures.

    Two things: 

    1. This is going to make it harder for GM to do their package overprice as so much is now included in the base units.
    2. GM and FCA need to get their act together to have a Hybrid CUV or EV CUV ASAP as Ford has Hybrids that folks like and now Honda.

    This will help push more towards the Hybrid / EV world as these options come out hopefully reasonably priced.

    1. is true, GM is going to have to change their pricing structure around in order to keep customers. CR-V has Sense standard, Toyota has their thing standard on the RAV4. 

    2. What hybrids at ford? The only hybrid that Ford is making these days is the Explorer. Fusion and CMAX are dead. 

    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    19 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    1. is true, GM is going to have to change their pricing structure around in order to keep customers. CR-V has Sense standard, Toyota has their thing standard on the RAV4. 

    2. What hybrids at ford? The only hybrid that Ford is making these days is the Explorer. Fusion and CMAX are dead. 

    Have not looked at the Ford lineup of Hybrids, thought they had more than the one and clearly the others are dead as you pointed out. Guess they need to kick themselves in the pants too.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

    Have not looked at the Ford lineup of Hybrids, thought they had more than the one and clearly the others are dead as you pointed out. Guess they need to kick themselves in the pants too.

    The only hybrids/EVs at ford are:

    1. Fusion Hybrid - Dead
    2. Fusion Hybrid Energi - Dead
    3. Lincoln MKZ Hybrid - still kicking for now.
    4. C-Max Hybrid - dead
    5. Ford Escape Hybrid - Dead
    6. Ford Explorer Hybrid - Brand new
    7. Lincoln Aviator GT - Brand New

    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    The only hybrids/EVs at ford are:

    1. Fusion Hybrid - Dead
    2. Fusion Hybrid Energi - Dead
    3. Lincoln MKZ Hybrid - still kicking for now.
    4. C-Max Hybrid - dead
    5. Ford Escape Hybrid - Dead
    6. Ford Explorer Hybrid - Brand new
    7. Lincoln Aviator GT - Brand New

    The 2020 Escape is a hybrid and plug-in hybrid. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    42 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Ah you got me there. Still, Ford's hybrids haven't stuck around very long. One wonders if they will this time.

    All of their past attempts felt very half-assed, imo. 

    Having a hybrid with an guestimated 39mpg combined and a plug-in with 30 miles of range, those sound much better competitors to the hybrid market compared to their past "efforts". 

    The new one is too soft looking for my but if the baby bronco version also gets ~30 miles of plug-in range, I could see myself seriously considering that down the road. But then again, at that point I'll probably be more apt to be looking at something Explorer Plug-in-sized. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Last night my SO decided she would like to get a CUV to replace her lightly driven 2008 Accord Coupe with 40K miles on it.  She asked about hybrids but I convinced her pretty quickly it wasn't worth it given how little she drives (maybe worth it with our combined mileage if I end up driving it too if it is a small upcharge for a bit of extra oomph with the MPG).  In the end she will probably end up in a CX5 or Forester, she did express some interest in something "fancier' but I don't think it is worth it with the kid seats, spills, crumbs etc..

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

    All of their past attempts felt very half-assed, imo. 

    Having a hybrid with an guestimated 39mpg combined and a plug-in with 30 miles of range, those sound much better competitors to the hybrid market compared to their past "efforts". 

    The new one is too soft looking for my but if the baby bronco version also gets ~30 miles of plug-in range, I could see myself seriously considering that down the road. But then again, at that point I'll probably be more apt to be looking at something Explorer Plug-in-sized. 

    The Fusion hybrid was very nice, no compromise hybrid and felt more solid than the Camry or Prius. 

    • Agree 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Similar Content

  • Posts

    • Latest News Toyota Will Take Over the Windy City, Chicago February 8th with 44 Autos. Spaciousness is what Toyota will give to the world with the first ever 2024 Grand Highlander and 44 other vehicles including the Crown Family. ---> Read More Toyota Crown Hybrid, the Stop Gap Product Till EVs The Toyota Crown while well-known across the Asian rim is the longest running product line from Japan and is now here as a stop gap measure in the U.S., Again. ---> Read More GM & Netflix Partner to Show Case EVs on TV General Motors and Netflix are joining forces to give electric vehicles (EVs) the stage they deserve. ---> Read More Infinitum All-in-one Electric Motors the Future of the Auto Industry? Infinitum is an electric motor designer that no one has heard of yet, but that is about to change with their All-in-one solution. ---> Read More Is Toyota Shooting Itself in the Foot in Regard to EVs? The Asahi Shimbun news organization is reporting that Toyota is joining the ranks of Hyundai, GM, Tesla, VW and other Auto OEMs with a dedicated EV platform, but with a BIG catch. ---> Read More GM Dumping Pouch EV Cells for Cylinder 4680 Cells Korean sources have learned that GM is dumping the Pouch for the Cylinder and not just any average one, but the 4680 spec that Tesla is pushing in their own EVs. ---> Read More Kia Chooses onsemi Silicon Carbide Power Module Traction Inverters for High Performance Electric Vehicles Kia starts production on performance EVs using industry leading Traction Inverters by onsemi for improved electrical handling. ---> Read More Click here to view our privacy policy CheersandGears.com - Established 2001  P.O. Box 17974, Pittsburgh, PA 15235 You can manage your subscription settings at the following link https://www.cheersandgears.com/settings/?area=newsletters
    • I remember those. They always seemed to be cream colored.  As far as FWD V8s, I prefer the STS of that era.    When I was living in Ann Arbor I had a friend that was an engineer at Ford working on the ‘98 facelifted model.  Got to ride in one one winter’s night in ‘97.     I remember going to the Detroit auto show in ‘95 and ‘96, 25 yr old me really wanted an STS.  I still like them.  
    • Was never on my radar.  So much so, that I just did a double take on the title mentioning it had a V8.  I knew it was FWD, I never knew  right up to THIS moment it had a V8.  I just listened to the video to find out it was the moduler 4.6 V8.   You learn something new everyday.    The Towncar and the Mark VIII was what I liked from Lincoln then.  And both models were FONDLY liked.   But in 2023, I actually like it.  Too bad I was turned off by it then.   Reflecting back as to why that was...I couldnt tell ya.   PS: I never did, nor do I right now, equate the 1995 Continental with the Taurus. 
    • Since it's been so cold I haven't done much work on it.  But last month I took the wheels off and dropped them off to have new tires fitted. Put the wheels back on today and repaired a positive battery cable that I had broken in the fall.  Today it moved under it's own power for the first time in probably years.  I took if it for a very short spin up the block and back.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search