Drew Dowdell

Lexus GX 460 Gets a Face..... Lift?

...take that BMW and your big grilles...

The Lexus GX 460 is one of those vehicles that just keeps on being sold in spite of being rather old. For 2020, the GX 460 gets a face lift, a new safety system, and an available all-new off-road package.

Starting off with the styling, Lexus added a giant spindle grille to the front, apparently borrowed from the larger LX.  Lexus also added Lexus Safety System+ as a standard feature across the lineup.  This addition means that now all Lexus vehicles have standard active safety equipment.  The Safety System+ on the GX 460 consists of Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert, Intelligent High Beams, and High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.

The new available off-road package offers multi-terrain monitor, panoramic view monitor, transmission cooler, fuel tank protector, crawl control, and multi-terrain select. The suspension is Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System that helps level out the vehicle in different load conditions to keep all four wheels on the ground.  On-road smoothness is helped by the Adaptive Variable Suspension that uses electronically controlled shocks that can be selected to Normal, Sport, or Comfort modes depending on the driver's mood.

The standard and only engine remains the same, a 4.6-liter V8 producing 301 horsepower 329 lb-ft of torque.

The updated 2020 Lexus GX 460 arrives at dealerships this fall.

2020_Lexus_GXG_0076_23261BEFB359BF3F8F22B2C31B73B3949AA55722_low.jpg

2020_Lexus_GXG_0055_486D926FED0A5EE6BC165A4C64E1C288F381554B_low.jpg

Edited by Drew Dowdell

Source and Image: Lexus Media

Man, it gets uglier and uglier.  I wish we would get European version of Land Cruiser Prado face, looks so much prettier.2019-toyota-lc-prado-main-1547126137.jpg

The GX is a complete waste of an SUV. How they can butcher the 4 Runner and convert it to this monstrosity is beyond me. Just hideous.

My parents who never comment about cars ever, have often said, "Lexus needs to stop this huge ugly grille thing they're doing."  As a matter of fact, I don't know a single person who likes them.  Yet they sell.

24 minutes ago, Paolino said:

Only the LC500 gives that grill a proper look IMO. The rest of them should be taken out back and beaten with a shovel.

It is embarrassing how old this vehicle is.  A 4.6 liter V8 making 301 hp?  What is it a 1995 Northstar?  That is 30 year old numbers.  Even in 2007 a 301 hp V8 was dated.  For reference there have been 2 full redesigns of the GLE since this went on sale.

Maybe they are going the Mercedes route (G Wagon) and waiting ten more years before they finally update it properly. It worked for them. It could work for Lexus.

Even in 2007 a 301 hp V8 was dated.

No, it wasn't.

2007 F150 w/ 5.4 made 305hp/365tq

2007 Silverado w/ 6.0 made 322-360hp(depending what you bought)/373-382tq.

2007 Ram made 345hp/375tq

These were all the biggest baddest versions at the time.

Yeah, the Merc 5.5L was 380ish but I don't think 301 would be considered dated in 2007.

I don't mind the engine so much.  I'd rather a 301hp V8 that is buuuuuuter smooth than a turbo V6 that I have to wait for the lag before I get my power

Very true. It may be dated but it is damn near bullet proof. At least it also has those proven 4 Runner bones. Personally I’d take a 4 Runner over the GX but I guess if one wants a little more luxury, you couldn’t beat the reliability of the GX.

I actually tried to convince my wife to consider used or CPO GX460 , there are a lot of them off lease with low miles.  Was hoping to take it from her after she drives it about 8 years.  But it drives like a truck, and she didn't like it.

Just now, ykX said:

The extra luxury does not cover those old school truck bones unfortunately. Not a bad thing if you don’t mind that kind of ride but it’s definitely not for everyone. It’s taller than the 4 Runner stance also does not help. It’s why is just go with a 4 Runner and call it a day.

2 minutes ago, ykX said:

What does she drive now?

What does she drive now?

2011 MDX.  Probably will get another CPO 2018 MDX sometime this year, she test drove it and liked it.  It does drive nice, I have to say.

46 minutes ago, ykX said:

Nice rides, just tight on space for tall peeps like me. Glad she likes it. That is an important marriage win. :)

6 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Mercedes changed engines and transmission over the years, and of course interior switchgear to whatever was used in other models.

For Lexus money why don't they give you a 450 hp V8 that is butter smooth?

Over in the GLE they have a 488 hp V8 with electric assist and the X5 has a 521 hp V8.  Lexus is literally 220 hp behind BMW and the BMW gets better gas mileage.

I don't worry about 0 to 60 or raw horsepower that much. As long as the power is smooth, instant, and "sufficient", the rest of the experience matters more.

For Lexus money why don't they give you a 450 hp V8 that is butter smooth?

On an SUV that costs more than double the GX (and that’s the cheapest G Wagon). Upping the engine and switch gear is the least they can do.

And while HP numbers are low vs those two Germans, it’ll spend far less time in the shop down the road too. 500 HP on an SUV is just a waste anyway, especially in this country.

Oh and that GLE needs 66 more HP to get the same 0-60 time as the GX (and that’s with a hybrid 367 HP engine and three more gears). Color me unimpressed. The base is the anemic 255HP for about the same price as the GX. Again, unimpressed.

Edited by surreal1272

54 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

So if the Escalade used the 345 hp V8 from 2007 model in the 2020 model that would be okay?  This Lexus V8 was introduced in 2006 for the 2007 model year.  Imagine a C8 Corvette with the same 400 hp engine as a C6.  That is what Lexus is doing here, it is a joke.  The whole Lexus brand is hideous looking, Toyota switchgear filled, underpowered, uninspired, underwhelming product.

You are trying to move the bar while ignoring the actual evidence. We are not talking about Cadillac and it is just unrelated to even bring up the Vette. We are talking about SUVs, not sports cars. and I’ve already said that it would be nice if it had more power but as Drew pointed out, it isn’t everything plus it is damn near bulletproof compared to the Germans. Your average SUV/CUV buyer is more concerned about ride and comfort first, reliability a strong second, and power falls back to third and the GX is more than enough for most. Sports cars are a whole other matter. That’s a fact that’s not even debatable.

Hell, the 4Runner has been using the same motor for that long yet sells better than any Mercedes SUV out there, which pretty much proves my point. What works against the GX is the horror show looks.

Edited by surreal1272

Old isn't reliable, it is just old.

2018 sales

Lexus GX:  26,724

Merc GLE: 46,010

BMW X5:  45,013

Audi Q7: 37,417

The buyers aren't flocking to that GX, and I can't believe they actually even sold 26k of them.

Old isn't reliable, it is just old.

2018 sales

Lexus GX:  26,724

Merc GLE: 46,010

BMW X5:  45,013

Audi Q7: 37,417

“Old isn’t reliable” yet you would have never said that in regards to the G Wagon which was far older than anything from Toyota or Lexus.

In the case of the two I’ve mentioned, it certainly is though and you clearly do not pay attention to every reliability study and article that backs this up. I also was not debating sales but since you’ve brought it up the GLE is only up 3,900 units for the year (so far) on the GX (12,900 vs. 9,000 roughly). The GLE is down 33% for the year while the old GX aid down just 5%. Guess by your logic, people aren’t flocking to the GLE this year. Your sales argument isn’t even that solid but like I said, the lack of GX sales has more do with its ugly looks than its powertrain.

Cadillac has used the 6.2L for years now yet it still spanks the Germans, for the record.

Edited by surreal1272

Old isn't reliable, it is just old.

2018 sales

Lexus GX:  26,724

Merc GLE: 46,010

BMW X5:  45,013

Audi Q7: 37,417

Yup, just like the G-Wagon was OLD!

Yup, just like the G-Wagon was OLD!

LMAO! Exactly my point but he won’t dare use that same argument against the “best or nothing”. The difference is the old GX and 4 Runner have far more reliability cred than that Benz ever will.

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

In the case of the two I’ve mentioned, it certainly is though and you clearly do not pay attention to every reliability study and article that backs this up. I also was not debating sales but since you’ve brought it up the GLE is only up 3,000 units for the year (so far) on the GX (12,000 vs. 9,000 roughly). The GLE is down 33% for the year while the old GX aid down just 9%. Guess by your logic, people aren’t flocking to the GLE this year. Your sales argument isn’t even that solid but like I said, the lack of GX sales has more do with its ugly looks than its powertrain.

The G-wagen wasn't reliable because it was old, it was reliable because Mercedes engineered to take a beating and had them hand built, and it always had the current V8.

A lot of that GLE is model changeover.  With the 3-row GLE on sale now that will turn course this year.

That Cadillac V8 is old too, not Lexus old, at least GM updates their small block V8s with some frequency.  And it doesn't spank the Germans as the X7 has 521 hp, the GLS has 488 + an electric motor and the Escalade has 420 hp.

And I imagine BMW is going to do an X7 M and and X8 M, because Mercedes has a GLS63 and a GLS73 on the way.  And then Bentley will have to answer because their 600 hp Bentayga will look lame vs a GLS73 or a Ferrari Purosangue.

This week marks my first review vehicle for 2020 - the Lexus UX 200 F-Sport. This one comes equipped with such items as F-Sport exterior package, 18-inch wheels, Lexus Enform with Apple CarPlay  compatibility;  Wi-Fi connectivity, and a 10-way power driver's seat. Options on this vehicle include blind spot monitoring, heated front seats, heated steering wheel, heads-up display, navigation, and a windhield de-icer - the last one being quite important as we had an ice storm roll through last night.
      Power comes from a 2.0L DOHC four-cylinder with 169 horsepower. This is likely the same engine I had in my 2019 Toyota Corolla SE hatchback I reviewed last month. This is paired with a CVT and front-wheel drive. Disappointingly, Lexus isn't offering all-wheel drive on the UX 200. To get that, you need to climb up the UX 250h.
      For the day and a half I had the UX, I found to be quite nippy around town. Though on the freeway, the engine becomes quite buzzy and you do need to step on it to get some forward momentum. It is also surprising how maneuverable the vehicle is. I was able to snatch a narrow parking space at a popular restaurant with no issue.
      The price-tag on this tester is $42,285 with destination. This surprised me considering how much stuff this vehicle is equipped with.
      So while I put some more miles on and grab some photos, drop off any questions you have for Lexus' smallest crossover.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Los Angeles - Lexus unveiled the 2021 Lexus LC 500 Convertible at the LA Auto Show today, ending speculation over whether the model was actually coming or not.
      Typically when manufacturers make a convertible version of an existing car, significant weight penalties crop up as structural bracing is added to preserve rigidity. Lexus was able to move supports, and bracing to produce a convertible with only minimal weight gain while maintaining structural integrity. The LC Convertible’s suspension is tuned specifically to complement the subtle changes in weight between the two platforms, as a reduction of un-sprung weight in the front suspension improves the overall stroke. In the rear, engineers were able to further enhance structural rigidity by reshaping and relocating the rear suspension brace tower. Weight was reduced in the rear of the vehicle by utilizing a lightweight die-cast aluminum suspension brace, while a performance dampener is employed to enhance ride comfort.
      Power of the LC 500 Convertible is the same as the coupe, with a 5.0-liter V8 rated for 471 horsepower, 398 lb.-ft of torque paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission. To make the engine’s throaty voice heard while the top is down, the engine’s intake pulses are naturally carried through a diaphragm into a sound pipe that carries the sounds, not the air itself, into the cabin to enhance the V8’s rumble, all done without any electronic enhancement.
      The top is a 4 layer design and the mechanism includes a tonneau cover for when the soft top is stored. The top can be opened or closed at speeds up to 31 mph, while an animation on the display shows the tops progress through the motions. The cloth colors are offered in black or beige. Exterior paint options on the convertible include Ultra White, Smoky Granite Mica, Liquid Platinum, Atomic Silver, Obsidian, Caviar, Infrared, Cadmium Orange, Flare Yellow, and Nightfall Mica. Depending upon the exterior color chosen, three interior colors are available: Black, Circuit Red and Toasted Caramel.
      The car being shown at the Los Angeles Auto Show is a limited edition model with a run of 100 units. It comes in Structural Blue with a white interior and blue top.
      The LC Convertible's HVAC system is designed to maintain temperature year round even with the top down. Neck heaters are included in the seats while the dash outlets are designed to direct heated or cooled air to the driver's hands.  For 2021 the LC Convertible gets Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, and Apple Car Play standard along with a 10.3-inch multimedia screen.

• By Drew Dowdell

• Let me just say this... the Blackwing V8 is probably dead given that the new 2020 Escalade DID NOT USE IT. And, good riddance. GM should focus on their strengths not try to copy the Europeans overly complicated and unrelaible engineering paradigms when it is 20 years too late and buyers committed to European engineering hype are not going to give Cadillac a second look anyway. Here's what I believe GM should do for the 2020s... say hi to the.... Microblock Family The Microblock is a pushrod 2-valve per cylinder architecture scaled down from the Smallblock design. Bore spacing is reduced from 111.76 mm (4.4") to 101.6 mm (4.0") allowing the engine to be 40 mm shorter, narrower and lighter than the Smallblock. With the new V8 tipping the scales at very svelte 180kg, the Microblock offers 8 cylinders with a mass comparable to turbocharged DOHC V6 engines. A bore of 93mm and stroke of 98mm gives a displacement of 5,326 cc (325 cu-in) in the V8 engine with 11:1 compression enabling the use of 87 octane fuel. More importantly, the same dimensions give an ideal 3,994cc (244 cu-in) displacement to the V6 and 2,663 cc (162 cu-in) in the the Inline-4. Despite the longer stroke, piston speeds at the engines' 6,000 rpm redline is actually 3.2% lower to the Smallblock 6.2L engine at its 6,600 rpm rev limit giving improved harmonic refinement. The V8 and V6 engines feature Dynamic Skip Fire technology, while all engines adopt GM's new 48v electrical system. This new arrangement ditches the starter and alternator in favor of a flywheel integrated motor-generator with 50 lb-ft @ 0 rpm and 15 hp @ 3,200 rpm, while featuring a trunk mounted Iron Phosphate battery with a 20-year/200,000 mile maintenance free service life. Also eliminated is the accessory belt and the mechanically driven water pump allowing the engine to match the electrical system's 20-year/200,000 mile scheduled maintenance interval (apart from annual 20,000 mile oil changes, filter replacement and fluid monitoring). The family is introduced with four engines a 600 hp bi-turbo version available exclusively on Cadillac vehicles as their premium power plant, a 400 hp V8, 300 hp V6 and 200 hp I4. 5.3L Microblock V8 Bi-turbo (LVT) -- 600 bhp @ 5,300 rpm, 600 lb-ft @ 1,600~5,200 rpm, 6,000 rpm redline (91 octane) 5.3L Microblock V8 (LVE) -- 400 bhp @ 5,800 rpm, 400 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm, 6,000 rpm redline (87 octane) 4.0L Microblock V6 (LVS) -- 300 bhp @ 5,800 rpm, 300 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm, 6,000 rpm redline (87 octane) 2.7L Microblock I4 (LVF) -- 200 bhp @ 5,800 rpm, 200 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm, 6,000 rpm redline (87 octane) Why? Because pushrods are nothing to be ashamed of. They are in fact superior for the rpm range which street cars motors operate in.
    • If you are talking about environment and global warming, that might be true. However, looking purely from a practical perspective, it is proven that even taking into account electricity cost and source, EVs are still significantly more economical than ICEs. It also a fact that they require substantially less maintenance, and are easier to upgrade.
    • The hallmark of the scientific method is that nothing is ever ‘proven’, only supported by evidence, and is always open to discussion/argument.  Nothing is more anti-science than blindly accepting a specific theory as empirical and final. Let me leave this right here: Pluto.
    • What does styling changes from generation to generation have to do with brand loyal customers thinking a general consensus "ugly" vehicle is not "ugly"? There is nothing wrong with completely changing your styling from generation to generation, it's how the styling turns out that matters.

1. bcs296