Lincoln's Used-Car Subscription Program Not Doing So Well

Back to the Drawing Board

Lincoln launched a pilot program for its own subscription service through Ford's Canvas earlier this year in the Los Angeles and the San Francisco areas. Unlike other programs that offer new vehicles, Lincoln's program offered off-lease vehicles that ranged from 2015 to 2017 model years. This allowed Lincoln to offer lower prices than competitors - prices ranged from $500 to $950 plus variable pricing on the amount of miles per month. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Lincoln's subscription service isn't doing so hot.

“I’ve been surprised how few people are genuinely interested in that type of ownership. If you had asked me a year ago, I would have said this is the next big thing. A lot of people are struggling to make the math work,” said Lincoln’s director of marketing, sales and service, Robert Parker.

Parker explained that most of the customers who signed up needed a vehicle for a short time like searching for a new vehicle or needing something to get them around while their car was in the shop.

“The amount of people coming out after one or two months is very high. It’s just kind of an interim process,” said Parker.

Lincoln is going to be making some changes to their program, although it is unclear what those might be. Parker threw out the suggestion of involving Lincoln dealers in the service, along with expanding vehicle ability.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

You can lease a brand new Lincoln for $300-400 a month first off.  And secondly, maybe after one month in a Lincoln they couldn’t wait to get a different car.

When will people learn?  Car sharing is a BAD IDEA!  I don't care which marque does this but NOBODY should share a car. . . . . unless you are in a place for a week or two.  Cars are NOT smartphones or magazine subscriptions.

6 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Why? It's just a long term rental with insurance and maintenance built in.  If someone like GM did it at reasonable prices (fat chance) I would get into it. Swap cars twice a year, have an AWD SUV in the winter and a Camaro in the summer.  Or if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of hauling, get a truck.

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Probably the most true thing you have said in 10 years of reading your posts. BRAVO!

DUH! They picked the two markets that are the most import heavy.

....and going to get more import heavy. Peoples buying habits are not going to change.

14 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Cancel the program already.....

...and shutter the plants.

11 hours ago, regfootball said:

^^^ interesting idea.  Camaro in summer when there's no snow.  AWD in winter.  I like the thinking.

Agreed.

if the costs weren't so high, I'd consider it myself. It's basically like renting a car.

if it flies F#$%@ or floats....you are better off renting it. True for race cars, true for regular cars.

Love the fact that I have not had a auto payment in years. Scaled down my auto stable so I have the following paid for awesome auto's.

• 1994 GMC Suburban SLE 402 V8 Custom powertrain / suspension
    • 1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 w/ 5.9L V8
    • 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum
    • 2008 Trailblazer SS AWD

Since I hold onto my auto's, I see no value to me in subscription service of never ending payments. I also see no value in swapping auto's every 2-3 years like my brother in law does with 2 or 3 year leases. I will stay with buying and upgrading my auto's to meet my needs and holding onto them. Next purchase will be an EV when one comes out that the wife loves and wants to drive for her work.

An Auto OEM worst nightmare are buyers like me.

• 1994 GMC Suburban SLE 402 V8 Custom powertrain / suspension
    • 1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 w/ 5.9L V8
    • 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum
    • 2008 Trailblazer SS AWD

An Auto OEM worst nightmare are buyers like me.

your solution works good for you, and other solutions work good for others.  You are buying insurance for 4 vehicles, and parts and maintenance on those.  The risk for many who are not repair savvy and if a particular vehicle is not reliable, is that they may cost more to repair and maintain.  Fuel costs are worth considering too.

I've had a few vehicles where i have paid them off and then mysteriously after that happens then the AWD malfunctions, or the tranny threatens to die etc.  50% chance you'll win that scenario and 50% chance you will lose.

I don't mind for a few years right now when we put huge miles on our vehicles, to lease.  We travel to relatives a lot and so I like the peace of mind of a newer vehicle with warranty etc.  And I get the best miles out of that vehicle.  (We rode our town and country hard and put close to 50k miles on it and I didn't ever even put brakes or tires or anything on it.  Had I bought it at lease end, the monthly would have gone up quite a bit and I would still be looking at maintenance costs.  It is tempting to find a used vehicle that you can bet the future on and not have payments, but that's a bit of a roll of the dice.  Mostly though, used vehicles with life cost an arm and leg too.

If the lease terms are ok I am fine with that, but what is more of a loss are those that buy and then trade often, that is where you take the bath on paying for all that interest, depreciation, sales tax, etc.  And an example of a minivan.  I am never going to want to own it long term, my needs will change.  So buying is not even smart in that degree.

Edited by regfootball

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I prefer Klingons to EV myself. If something is going to take over the world it should at least be interesting.

Lots of interesting EVs coming my friend, trust me! :D

16 minutes ago, regfootball said:

I can understand and respect where you are coming from. For me, the lifestyle I have lived growing up and shown my own kids, a minivan would never work. My kids also could never use a car or minivan as the lifestyle they also live requires an SUV. From winter sports to offroading, camping exploring the world, they accept the lower fuel efficiency and added maintenance for the versatility an SUV gives them.

Same reason I grew up in 4x4 wagons (Suburu GL and Dodge Colt Vista)... we were always out camping and such.  The "wilds" of NJ where we went weren't enough to warrant a Suburban, but if we really needed to get somewhere the Colt Vista couldn't, my dad's F250 could do it.

That said, my dad couldn't help taunting a show-off Wrangler driver who was on a lightweight off-road course.  Put the Colt Vista into 4WD and started following him around the course with 2 kids in carseats in the back.

Cars should be so reliable now, I'm ok with driving one 15 years, ~180,000 miles+.  Probably  I've just been lucky with current ride and the next one will need warranty service or something other than the basics in that time.  I'd rather build up equity, spend on travel and family, retire by 55 than spend on new vehicles.  Maybe my parent's first generation immigrant cheapness made its way to me as I get older.  For the life of me we cannot get them to enjoy their $$.

Lots of interesting EVs coming my friend, trust me! :D

i do think older BOF SUV's if you can find good ones are good investments.  I still regret not at least looking into a Tahoe back a few years ago.  It was like a 5 year old but with 140,000 on it but looked like new inside and out.  That's one i likely would have lost little money on over time.

5 hours ago, frogger said:

part of the discussion on expense of vehicles these days has to talk about those who buy the luxury brands and spend twice as much for what they can get with other brands.  That's a topic that can be debated all day.  But where i work some of the 'ups' (and in particular the women) drive Volvo Audi SUV etc.  Everyone has a right to get what they like and need.  But honestly a 60-70k Volvo or Audi crossover isn't going to do something 4x better than a GMC Acadia...... Americans spend lots of $$$ for brand elitism....

10 hours ago, regfootball said:

That's the hardest part about reviewing cars these days.  They're all so good at what they do that most comments we have on them boil down to nit-picking.  It's really rare to get a car that is truly bad for the class... and these days even a Corolla has 98% of the safety tech that a Benz has..  Sometimes even more because the Corolla comes with it standard.

So true.  I occasionally get to be a passenger in a coworkers Audi Q7. I get inside the thing and apart from ‘crisp panel gaps and seams’ the q7 gray interior, especially in ‘family lived in condition’ the interior is almost 2004 Pontiacesque in its perceived luxury and ambiance to me.

The COVID-19 pandemic has possibly caused another auto show to rethink their plans. According to Automotive News, organizers of the show are planning to delay the show from November to next May. Three sources tell the outlet the new dates are May 21st to 31st. Two of sources go on to say that an announcement could come this week.
      Automotive News tried to get comment from Terri Toennies, president of the show, but did not reply.
      By possibly moving the LA Auto Show to May, automakers and organizers of the New York and Detroit shows find themselves in a difficult spot. The LA show sandwiches between New York (April) and the revised Detroit show (June), which may cause automakers to make difficult decisions as to which shows get the most significant unveilings or whether to attend at all.
      Auto shows in general have been struggling before the onset of the pandemic. With automakers deciding to hold their own events to have more time in the spotlight and save cash, the spectacle of the show has gone down.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      It has been some time since we last reported on PSA Group's plan to re-enter the U.S. When we last checked in, Peugeot was chosen as the brand to be entering the U.S. by 2023 and rumors were swirling about a possible merger between PSA Group and FCA. A lot has changed since then as the two automakers begin to finalize plans for a merger, and the COVID-19 pandemic has no end in sight in the U.S. What does that mean for Peugeot's return to the U.S.?
      "My role is to grow the PSA business in North America, growing our mobility capability and preparing for the launch of Peugeot." said Larry Dominique, CEO of PSA North America to Automotive News.
      "From our standpoint, we're planning as if [the merger] doesn't exist. We're marching forward as if PSA was going to be there by themselves."
      Dominique is right now focused on the present with the top priority being building out a dealer network for both U.S. and Canada before the launch. He explained that the company is planning a two-prong approach, having franchised dealers and online retailing.
      "The future success for OEMs is the reduction of distribution costs while ensuring both retail and OEM margin sustainability. This has to be done through strong pricing power, not volume turnover," he said.
      Part of this is due to COVID-19 pandemic which has many automakers rethinking how they sell vehicles, something Dominique admits is a big challenge.
      "All my competitors are going to be focusing on digital, which means we have to step up our game and deliver an even stronger customer experience when we launch Peugeot in North America. We need to get out of an environment where the retailers are dependent upon just F&I and service to pay their bills."
      Another challenge facing Dominique, what models to sell in the U.S. The market has changed a lot since PSA Group announced its intentions to re-enter the U.S. Consumers now are focused on trucks and crossovers.
      "I don't have a full-sized truck,. But the C and D segments are what's relevant to us. The C and D segments are high volume and important to North America. That's where we're going to focus initially,"
      To us, this hints at the 3008 and 5008 crossovers being some of the first models to be available.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      The COVID-19 pandemic has basically brought most of the world to halt. Orders to stay at home, businesses either having workers to their work from home or closing down, and unemployment skyrocketing is causing the economy to crater. There are efforts to try and jump-start the economy such as $1,200 stimulus checks. But an executive at Ford wants to see a return of a "cash for clunkers" like program.
      “We think some level of stimulus somewhere on the other side of this would help not only the auto industry and our dealers, which are a huge part of our overall economy, but will help the customers as well,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford’s vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service to Bloomberg.
      “Cash for clunkers was very effective at that time. It would be nice to think we could have something equally as effective for 2020 when we get out of this because it was a great program.”
      According to LaNeve, internal discussions are taking place at Ford about doing a similar program and there are plans to bring the Government in to these talks.
      When asked by Automotive News about this, Ford spokeswoman Rachel McCleery said, "The auto industry is America’s economic engine.We are encouraging Congress to look at a variety of ways to drive job creation, increase demand, support customers and provide long-term stability for the entire auto ecosystem."
      A brief refresher on the Cash for Clunkers program. In 2009, the U.S. Government introduced a billion initiative called the Car Allowance Rebate System, which gave a voucher worth between $2,900 and $4,500 to anyone replacing a vehicle newer than 1984. Their old vehicle would be taken away and disposed of. The program was nicknamed Cash for Clunkers.
      On the surface, the program was a success. Within first month, all of the funds were exhausted. This prompted the U.S. congress infuse an addition two billion into the program, which would be all gone within 17 days. But begin to look deeper and the results are mixed. In 2012, a study published in the Quarterly Journal of Economics described the program as being a bit of a wash,
      "...the effect of the program on auto purchases is almost completely reversed by as early as March 2010 — only seven months after the program ended.”
      Other studies have come to the same conclusion.
      There's also the question of how many perfectly good used cars were taken off the road due to the program.
      Source: Bloomberg via Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Drive, The Truth About Cars

1. ideadman
      ideadman
    2. What if
      What if

There are no registered users currently online