The Ruins Of Fisher

GMC

While I also hate to see a integral part of the U.S.'s past industrial might fall into disrepair, there were dozens and dozens and dozens of Fisher Body plants over time. No auto manufacturer of any appreciable longevity has maintained all the facilities they've ever had, either.

Anyone know which division was supplied by FB# 21?

I would love to lift at least something for use in my shop- a bank of lights, a short row of lockers, anything that GM once used...

Edited by balthazar

Eeek....believe that hurt my eyes :(.

I dislike seeing buildings in disrepair.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"It's coming down to nothing more than apathy" ... The Fray ... 'Over My Head'

• 1 month later...

Drove past that building when I was in the D for NAIAS in January... very ominous looking... Honestly I thought it was kind of cool. The old Packard plant nearby was pretty cool too.

Theres actually a very modern GM plant very close to the old Fisher facility... I think they build the DTS and Lucerne there.

Its a pretty new plant... Fisher simply wasn't worth upgrading. IIRC the way it was designed in the 1920s with multiple floors etc was just unworkable with modern manufacturing.

Edited by Whistler

Conners Stamping was a cool plant in its day. went from building planes to Caddilacs.

Does that website have the Detroit Railroad station in it by chance? i couldnt find it when i skimmed over it.

These photos make me sad.

I would love to lift at least something for use in my shop- a bank of lights, a short row of lockers, anything that GM once used...

161443[/snapback]

Right on... even a brick to use as a paper weight would be cool. :yes:

Reminds me of FORD's South American city were he was going to make RUBBER but did not do it right. He planted the trees to close together and failed in that venture abandoning the entire place. It still stands as the Jungle and nature slowly swollows it all up reclaiming it. I look at this GRAND OLD domestic factory and I cant help but see our FUTURE as GM/FORD are in truble and jobs continue to leave our shores. As our American indestury SLOWLY DIES due to cheap overseas labor our Country will see MANY MORE OF THESE!

• 1 month later...

Buick City was a real tragedy. Made me sick and still does.

198073[/snapback]

Yeh I went to Flint last month when I was in detroit for the Dream Cruise. The whole plant has been demolished and the place is just one big wasteland now. The only reminder that there even was a plant there are the parking lots that are overgrown with weeds. I have some pics and if I knew how the hell to post them I would.