College Dorms

NOS2006

Kettering University. - NOT BIG 10 or ACC or SEC etc.  STRIKE ONE

With Kettering's co-op program, he well get more experience in his first year then he would at a big 10 school.

It's ...like 80+% guys - that alone should is a big strike.  trust me, i went to a school with like 60% guys and women all cop an attitude from the favorable numbers.  even the fat chicks with bad personalities have their pick of the guys. 

This however, i cannot disagree with at all it is 110% true. i wish i could say differently, but every girl there thinks that they are a gift from god because they have guys following them around everywhere. it blows.

This however, i cannot disagree with at all it is 110% true.  i wish i could say differently, but every girl there thinks that they are a gift from god because they have guys following them around everywhere.  it blows.

179596[/snapback]

Blah, not when you look like me. :lol: Just kidding.

That "BIG 10" comment was asinine.

hey man, big ten schools are big ten schools.

etc.  SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12.  Better atomospheres.

you might think its assinine, there is a difference.

179621[/snapback]

Yes, there is a difference......

Education: Kettering > SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12

Girls: Kettering < SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12

Is Kettering really that much better than Michigan or Missouri-Rolla?  The last two are extremely highly regarded engineering schools, Mizzou is also highly respected in the field and has a TON of beautiful women.

179627[/snapback]

I'm sure that every school has its ups and downs different categories. The one thing that seperates Kettering from the rest of the pack, and that is their co-op program. The amount of knowledge and common sense that you learn in the workplace simply cannot be gained any other way.

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

179628[/snapback]

The part of Flint that Kettering is in, isn't bad at all. When people hear about Flint, the automatically assume that there are crack deals going down on the corner. Kettering is on the outskirts of Flint, and the neighboring community is very nice and embraces the university.

How to decorate the dorm room, eh? Always fun...it all kinda depends what you're going for ie what you want to communicate to people and what you're designing for your own piece of mind.

Decorations aside, invest in some serious padding on your bed, eggcrates and pillowtops. Don't spend too much on the comforter cuz its gonna get wrecked. In fact, try to get a washable duvet cover if you can. Sleep is a valuable commodity in college, so a comfortable and clean bed is a definite bonus.

As for posters, try not to overkill the cars and the girls, as moderation is always key. Keep in mind that wallspace is limited, so choose wisely. For a wide range of posters, I usually shop allposters.com's college section. Also, be sure to check out the giant poster section..

Remember to bring your favorite pictures of good (or crazy) times with friends, some pics of the fam etc. Most rooms have bulletin boards for that posting pics & they're a great icebreaker when everybody's moving in.

For more ideas on how to personalize your room, you can check out places like Spencer's Gifts and Urban Outfitters. Hope that helps & good luck!

Let's see what I have here...

G6, Solstice, Aura Vue Green Line and Sky, Cobalt, Pursuit, another Solstice, Camaro Concept, some GM ad postcards and a Network Protocol Map. A few network diagrams of my house's network as well.

I was expecting a Security Vunerability Map in the mail, but it never got here. And no people posters.

Haven't got crazy since I started University either...

Is Kettering really that much better than Michigan or Missouri-Rolla?  The last two are extremely highly regarded engineering schools, Mizzou is also highly respected in the field and has a TON of beautiful women.

179627[/snapback]

so you're saying the women there each weigh a ton?

BBW fan I guess........

That's what made me glad I went to an SEC school. University of Alabama might not be known for its engineering department, but its still a good school and the female contigent damn sure isn't lacking. I enjoyed my years there although I didn't complete a degree program in engineering.

Yeah that was pretty much my view of it too.

I think deferred Rush is a good policy, most people who pledge during orientation are tricked into doing it.

179274[/snapback]

Orientation? I've never heard of that! I can see the deferred/nondeferred argument both ways...I mean on one hand deferred makes them focus on school the first semester, but with nondeferred you get to meet a lot more people sooner. It's an interesting balance.

News on Kettering University:

Kettering University is highly ranked in the 2007 edition of “America's Best Colleges” by U.S. News & World Report. To see Kettering’s national rankings, visit www.kettering.edu. Here are the highlights:

Kettering University has retained its #1 ranking for Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering (IME) and continues to be ranked in the Top Twenty in the nation in the 2007 edition of "America's Best Colleges Guide," which is published by "U.S.News & World Report." Kettering's category is Undergraduate Engineering schools, whose highest degree is a bachelor's or master's degree.

Mechanical Engineering is now ranked #3 nationally!

Electrical and Computer Engineering is #7 nationally!

“We are pleased to again be recognized as one of the top engineering institutions in the country,” said Kettering President Stan Liberty. “I know that the unique model of co-op education is a contributing factor to the annual rankings. I’d like to congratulate the entire Kettering community for their ongoing contributions that help us build and sustain the excellence of a Kettering University education,” he added.

The national rankings are:

# 1 - Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering

# 3 - Mechanical Engineering

# 7 – Electrical and Computer Engineering and

#12- Overall ranking for Kettering University.

#1 for Year #7

Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering retained its #1 ranking. It is the seventh year in a row that Kettering has been designated as best in the country in its category.

From #5 to #3 -- Mechanical Engineering climbs higher into the Top Five Kettering's Mechanical Engineering Department, the largest academic unit on campus, is now in the Top Three in the country, ranked at #3. The department has been in the Top Ten for the past six years. Last year, it was ranked #5.

From #8 to #7 – Electrical and Computer Engineering Kettering’s Electrical and Computer Engineering Department continues its Top Ten listing, moving from #9 two years ago, to #8 last year, to #7 for 2007.

Overall rank: #12

Kettering remained in the "Top Twenty" in the country in the "Best Programs" category.

Thanks oblu.

Today I got some of my necessary supplies for school.. towels, new blanket, sheets, pillow cases, new pillow, throw-rug, freakin' hell yeah. It's all so soft and comfortable lmao. Don't call me gay.. don't judge me. :P:lol:

I'm moved in now (been moved in for a couple days) and it's been pretty cool so far. I've met quite a few people and most of them seem pretty nice.

The parties are pretty insane. I went to a frat with like 500 people stuffed in the basement with free beer.

UI is ranked #5 overall in engineering, Kettering is ranked #12, so they're both pretty good. I couldn't find the rankings for each individual segment because they wanted me to pay for it.

Northie, you're going into Mechanical, right? If this is the right site and info, UI is ranked #6 for ME:

http://www.publications.uiuc.edu/info/rankings.html

But, sweet, everything's going well? That's awesome. I've already met some people I'll be hanging out with the first weekend at least (well, actually I've been talking to a girl I met at the overnight stay a few months ago and I've been talking to her pretty heavily the last week or so)... It should be cool. Good to hear you're having a good time though! I know MSU goes in this week, too..

Nah, there aren't any early move-ins because of the school's year-round scheduling (I probably won't ever meet half of Kettering's incoming freshman students that are part of "my class"). Only thing I can do to get involved with the school early is join a 2-day $150 Camp where they do a bunch of different activities, but I'll be alright without that.

Wow, Kettering is that small? There are 1200 freshman in engineering at UI and 7300 freshman overall.

183147[/snapback]

Yes, thats kinda part of the reason the school is so good. In core classes like math, the classes only have 30 people. When getting into your major and minor in your senior year, class size narrows down to 5-10.

Yes, thats kinda part of the reason the school is so good.  In core classes like math, the classes only have 30 people.  When getting into your major and minor in your senior year, class size narrows down to 5-10.

183160[/snapback]

I think I have one lecture with 270 people (it might have been 170) but everything else is around 31. One class actually only has 17 people.