2007 Maxima review

regfootball

1. Someday I'll have a CVT........ in a 1959 Buick.

2. CVTs are not meant for Sport Sedans.

3. I'll start to give a damn about the Maxima when it's RWD again.

Funny this was just posted...a co-worker, who drives an '03 Altima that he loves, took an '07 Maxima out over the weekend and is still raving about it. Described it as a roomy and beautiful car, that the V6 had a ton of power, but that the best thing was the CVT that just made it quick and eerily smooth.

I think the car still has some weirdness (i.e., some of the outside details like the taillights), and it is FWD, but overall, a very nice car...and the CVT seems to have only made it better.

The current Maxima just looks bloated in all the wrong ways. The one-piece rear bumper/clip area adds to its ass-heavy appearance and the lack of any ride control for the rear suspension results in extremely heavy 'dip' when four are seated inside. Too many of the details are too unappealing for me to like it, and I did like the preceeding Maxima.

I haven't driven Nissan's CVT, but thus far, my limited CVT experience leaves me feeling weird.

when i got my 500 last fall, my first choice was a quest van. due to safety recall, i couldn't get one but i had expressed interest in a 6 speed manual maxima in lieu of the quest for the same lease rate as my 500 and for the quest. I wanted the maxima with the stick, which i had test drove and found the car to be just about right for me.

But the whole quest debacle pissed me off so i went to the Ford dealer which begging me practically to get into something.

Ultimately what led me not to get into the maxima was the yucky interior. I hated the dash and door panels.

they still didn't really fix it, although half heartedly tried. But the CVT? Well, truth be told, if the 500 had more power I would have picked the CVT. In fact, I prefer a CVT. But i had to get the 6 speed on the 500. So now I look at the maxima and am sad they got rid of the 6 speed manual because I think they should have kept it, but at the same time the CVT I find appealing. CVT's are the way to go, once you get used to them.

As far as durability goes, the Murano has had no issues with its last gen CVT. The 500 has had no CVT issues.

So I would welcome and trust the CVT in the Maxima, although I would love to see the manual still avialable.

In about 10 years, I bet all we have mostly is CVT's and DSG's/SMG's.

That'd be fine with me. I hate slushboxes with a passion. It's like having sex with Scarlett Johannson but having to wear 3 condoms.

Edited by regfootball

I'm with Fly in terms of the (6th gen.) '04-'07 Maxima's styling.Let's hope the 7th gen is based on the Infiniti M35/M45 like the Charger is based on the old E-class Benz. I've been saying this on the Maxima forums for about a year now.

I'll keep my 06' Accord with 6sp Manual and 0-60 in less than 6sec. That is, if I had one.The front end might look Acura-ish, because it uses a more pronounced 5-point grille than the 2006 model, which Acura uses on all of its vehicles, even the RSX to some extent.But the front end on that '07 Maxima is hideous thanks to the air inlets on the bumper (which are square?? :huh: ), they look like an Accord gone wrong. The car overall doesn't look bad though, until you look at the air inlets, they just don't flow at all. The rear part of the car, when looking from the front 3/4 view, looks a lot like a Prius.

Edited by siegen