1 year review of prius

Dsuupr

I can't imagine any circumstance that would ever see me considering a car like the Prius. There isn't a single category in which it even merits consideration.

All tech aspects aside, if a car can't even muster the basics in a way that appeals, it need not apply. Beyond the drunken fascination with "synergy drive" there is no basic goodness to a Prius.

Having spent a considerable amount of time in the former Soviet Union, I can tell you that the Prius lacks the basic goodness of a crowded Moscow bus in the middle of winter.

We should be ashamed of the fact that we as a species have built such a steaming pile as the Prius.

Chris

I would love to puke on every Prius I have seen. The car is a politcal and trendy progressive dare I say liberal save the earth statement nothing more. Folks concerned with saving money and planet are better off getting a Cobalt XFE, Focus, Civic etc.

don't puke on the paint, it'd prob rust.

the prius only does one thing. low mpg. it's a one trick pony. judged by any other facet or feature, especially on price, it is inferior to many other competitors.

don't puke on the paint, it'd prob rust.

the prius only does one thing. low mpg. it's a one trick pony. judged by any other facet or feature, especially on price, it is inferior to many other competitors.

Well, the gas mileage is part of the equation. The greenness (i.e. emissions) is the big selling point, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, the gas mileage is part of the equation. The greenness (i.e. emissions) is the big selling point, I think.

And sadly that is the only reason they sell not because it is a good car of a great quality vehicle. If you want that get the new Insight that has to have Toyota worried because it looks better and prolly won't suck. :neenerneener:

I happen to really like the new Honda Insight tho, and once again IF I got an import it would be a Honda no questions.

Edited by gm4life

It's not a bad car, but it is a larger car than I personally like, and it is FWD. And even though it is not badly styled, I still think it (Accord) is kinda bland.

Chris

The Fit is laid out nicely and drives nicely. But if it were up to me, I'd rather have the Astra than the Fit.

Although let's be honest, for the same money I could buy a very gently used supercharged Cobalt SS and a sticky set of Auto-X tires.

I'll give you one good guess as to where my dinero would go.

Chris

Warning-Rabbit Trail-

gm4life, I am quickly thinking Cobalt SS/TC would be an even nicer "next" car than a MINI. Going to ask a question in the Chevrolet forum to see if I can find an answer, but the new Cobalt SS has a warranty that covers autocrossing and track days. That was my biggest "arguement" for buying an older Cobalt, because usually once the carmaker finds out that you've used their product for high performance/competion use, they void your warranty. MINI does, it, Mitsu does it, Honda does it, Nissan does it, Ford does it, etc.

But Chevrolet supposedly (according to several sources, including some friends of mine in the SCCA in the know) say that Chevrolet is so confident in the Turbocharged Cobalt that warranty coverage continues even if the car is used for autocross/track use.

But on a personal note, I still like the idea of a Firebird or Camaro. We had a Michigan Vs. Ohio State party at my friend Steve's house, and his basement is done up with a pool table and a big screen in an automotive theme, relaly nicely with a lot of vintage stuff. He has a door cutout with a white "IROC" label on a dark blue door. One of his buddies was pulling the 350 from a wrecked IROC for a 32 Ford Street rod, and he saved that portion of the door skin.

It made me think hard about a third gen Camaro.

But a long rambling post to say...Cobalt SS/SC would be cool, Cobalt SS/TC would be even cooler, and there are IROC 3rd gen and Decent 4th gen cars out there for decent prices. What I really need is for the economy to stabalize so I can justify spending $ on another car.

Oh, yeah...back on topic...the Prius still sucks.

Chris