A common problem with the new Civic

ToniCipriani

For those who have not driven a recent Honda made vehicle, the EL Gauges are brighter than hell during the day because they are black when not lit. Therefore, when driving at night, unless you crank the brightness back up, the EL Gauges dim when headlights are turned on. In fact, at the very center of the gauges in both the Accord and Civic is a symbol that shows headlights on.

As far as Auto-on/off headlights go... I own an '01 Silverado and an '06 TSX the Silverdao has auto lamps and the Acura doesn't. Honda does NOT make a vehicle with auto lamps until you get to the MDX and RL price points. Why? Same reason GM started adding the switch to turn auto off. Some people just don't like them and for most import buyers they've never had them. Why do it now when it adds cost?

To take this one step further only in the '06 refresh did Honda add oil life monitoring to its Accord when GM has had it on its vehicles since the 80's. Why did it take so long? Remember the Honda V6 in the Vue? Well, Honda got some technology from that partnership and alot of it was the Driver Information Center. Honda carefully places parts of it in the Accord and adds more features as you move into Acura pricing.

So... problem, issue, annoyance... call it what you will but, auto-on/off lights are no where near a deciding factor on vehicle purchase. And if it is, you are probably over looking other more important features.

I refer to DRL's as "idiot lights" and will not own a vehicle with them unless it can be defeated. (you have to know which wire to cut in the right relay) I know GM offers a couple of vehicles with the ability to defeat the DRL's, why not on everything? Same goes for airbags. In my wife's car we have the fuse pulled, as she is a petite woman and would get creamed. We always use our seatbelts though, without fail. Why can't there be a "keyed defeat switch" like in the front seat of pickups for all vehicles?

199689[/snapback]

:withstupid: i agree. having been injured TWICE by deploying bags give me EVERY RIGHT to disable the peices of sh!t. first time i had to have slivers of glass removed from my eyes due to the damn bag being designed to deflect off the windshield. second time i had my hand broken when the stupid bag propelled it into the windshield. as for drl's, i challenge anyone to find me absolute undeniable PROOF that anyone has ever been saved by that crap. and please, no anecdotal crap like "well, i know it helped when...". i am sick to death of all these nannys in dc (and i'm sure in ottawa) think they need to save me. IT IS NOT THEIR JOB!!! i will never own a vehicle with drls. period. it may the single stupidest automotive invention ever. think about it, if you need other cars to have their lights on so you can see them, you have no business driving. if we would just start teaching people HOW to drive, we could reduce accidents to nearly nothing. drls don't do a hill of sh!t's worth of good when people JUST DON"T PAY ATTENTION TO DRIVING!!!

:withstupid: i agree. having been injured TWICE by deploying bags give me EVERY RIGHT to disable the peices of sh!t. first time i had to have slivers of glass removed from my eyes due to the damn bag being designed to deflect off the windshield. second time i had my hand broken when the stupid bag propelled it into the windshield. as for drl's, i challenge anyone to find me absolute undeniable PROOF that anyone has ever been saved by that crap. and please, no anecdotal crap like "well, i know it helped when...". i am sick to death of all these nannys in dc (and i'm sure in ottawa) think they need to save me. IT IS NOT THEIR JOB!!! i will never own a vehicle with drls. period. it may the single stupidest automotive invention ever. think about it, if you need other cars to have their lights on so you can see them, you have no business driving. if we would just start teaching people HOW to drive, we could reduce accidents to nearly nothing. drls don't do a hill of sh!t's worth of good when people JUST DON"T PAY ATTENTION TO DRIVING!!!

200808[/snapback]

Wow, you're on a tangent. One cannot accurately calculate the number of lives possibly saved by DRLs. Common sense would tell me that if a car is clearly visible, there is simply much less room for error.

The comment about 'how to drive' has nothing to do with how well a person can see another vehicle ahead of them. There are so many variables for which DRLs simply enable less guess-work and chance. In my experience, daytime fog in the valley makes visibility quite poor. Do you think anyone would steer into an on-coming lane for any reason if they saw the headlights of a vehicle with a driver who didn't have to worry about turning their own headlights on when the car does it for them?

Why the hate on for lights? What's the big deal if a car has DRLs or automatic lights? If anything, too many people are horny for lights at night, blinding on-coming traffic with their fog-lights when there is no reason for them to be on in the first place. If the argument there is to have more light for better safety at night, wouldn't that be the same as having lights on in the first place during the day so others can clearly see without mistaking an approaching vehicle?

I'm annoyed by the whining some get their panties in a twist on about how 'rights are imposed against me'. It's a fricken' headlight! Get over it!

My example... might as well stop reading since you said "no anecdotal crap", but I chose to pass a semi-truck on a straight stretch and pulled out after checking for traffic. It was near-dusk with an apron of trees dividing the highway from the sky. By the time I was beside the trailers' rear wheels, I see a dark vehicle approaching. I slam on the brakes, startling my wife awake in the passenger seat, await for the trailer to pass, and duck back in behind him. Sure, the moron was driving past dusk with no lights, which is illegal. The driver was an idiot, and could have made the situation a non-issue just by turning on his own damn lights in the first place. Gee, it sure would be handy to innocent drivers, like myself, to have headlights come on automatically so fewer people would find themselves in the situation I was in, or even worse, a head-on collision... those certainly aren't anything new. Well, what do you know! They DO make those! Drivers with brains rejoice, because now drivers without brains have one less thing to feel stupid about.

if you need other cars to have their lights on so you can see them, you have no business driving

If other cars have their lights on so they can be seen, just what the hell is the problem?

Well, if someone is too retarded to know when to turn on their headlights, they should have their license removed. But for those of us who arent retarded, and turn on our headlights when needed and don't need electrical nannies. That's why you can turn off automatic headlamps in most vehicles. That's also why all vehicles are also required to have reflectors and reflective license plates, in case retards like them are driving.

As far as DRLs, in the situation you described, DRLs only light up the headlights/parking light, not the taillights, so those would have been useless. My arguement for them is similar to the above. If you're too stupid to know when to turn on your headlights, you shouldnt have a license. But when during the day, when the sun is shining brightly, as it always likes too, DRLs dont make a vehicle anymore visible unless you're legally blind. Even then, the sunlight will drown out any light from DRLs, making it blobs of light to the legally blind, which unless are driving without their thick glasses, wouldn't have any of those problems anyways.

Well, that's where switching between high beams and low beams should come in. I find it stupid that my fog lights only work with the low beams. They should be able to work with the high beams... you know... when you need the utmost light.

200281[/snapback]

I don't know about most states, but North Dakota has a law that when you're using your high beams, only those 2 lights can be on, no fogs. Also says that when your low beams are on, only 2 other lights can be on, so 4 total. Found this out when I had an extra set driving lights mounted on the bumper or a pickup and was driving one night with the low beams, the fogs, and the extra driving lights all on at the same time (didn't realize I had bumped the switch for the extra set) and met a cop. He gave me a warning and told me of the law.

As for DRLs and auto lights...why not, seriously? What is the problem? Yeah, most of us are smart enough to turn on our lights, but if you are that smart and you are just going to turn them on every time the car is going to turn them on, then why not just have it do it for you? What is the problem with making your car more visible to others? I love that my car does it for me, even though I'm smart enough to know when I would need them on. It is nice to have the option of turning them off though. I can in the Suburban with the headlight switch, and can in the Impala by pushing in the parking brake just a tad, but I never have to do it often. It is just nice to be able to turn them off when you are parked somewhere with the vehicle running and don't want them on, or when I'm pulling up the house and don't want to shine my headlights in the windows as I pull in. (or when your trying to lose the cops out in the country....jk)

As for ABS, I really think that it is a personal choice. I have always had them in my daily driver so it is pretty much all I know and therefor wouldn't want to NOT have them. I know many drivers that would rather not have them, and I think they would be just as effective of drivers without them.

The bottom line is that there are some stupid drivers out there and they are on the road. Having DRLs on your car makes you more visible to other drivers, no matter what time of the day it is. I don't know how anyone can logically argue that DRLs don't help out.

I lived on top of Blue Mtn (well, Ontario's version of a mountain, anyway) for one year and the fog would be so bad that I would have to drive with my parking lights on and my head out the window. I am not exaggerating. A steep rise of 1,050 ft so close to a large body of water (Georgian Bay) creates some wicked fog.

I can tell you definitively that high beams would have been a huge hinderance. Even the low beams would refract the light so badly that I could only see a white sheet in front of me.

As to the rest of the debate, well it is just silly. People are dying in Afghanistan and Iraq, yet we are arguing about DRL.