Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Edmunds Evaluation: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si

47 posts in this topic

Variance    0

Edmunds Evaluation: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si

Posted Image

With BMW's sport-utility sales slipping recently, some might criticize BMW for letting the X3 languish too long before implementing all the enhancements. If the original X3 were as good as this one is, it might've avoided some of the early dissatisfaction and enjoyed even more success than it has. If you're in the market for a small and sporty sport-ute, put the 2007 BMW X3 back on your list.

Read "More of a good thing" @ Edmunds

Flybrian    0

Whatever happened to cars, America? This thing is still uglier than a 3er wagon; nothing is going to help that. And the interior blows.

Intrepidation    846

Guys, I need your help....

How is this....

Posted Image

so much more special than this.....

Posted Image

seriously....

206280[/snapback]

Better materials maybe? That wood in the BMW I'm asuming is real..and it has the all impotant badge on the wheel, automatically making it better :P

aaaantoine    4

Off the top of my head, in favor of the X3 interior...

- Nicer wood texture

- Nicer steering wheel design

- A manual transmission

- Nicer leather texture

- A pop-up nav screen

And that's without sitting in it. Though, in favor of the Impala...

- Nicer stero / HVAC controls

pow    106

How is this....

Posted Image

Posted Image

seriously....

206280[/snapback]

The X3 feels well-made... like a quality product. The Impala doesn't.

But since when did C&Gers start comparing $40K BMWs to $20K Chevys? The SRX would be a fairer match.

I like the outside of the X3, and the I6 has a nice sound to it. But the interior (stylistically) sucks...an affliction most Bangled BMWs suffer from.

Drew Dowdell    5,000

Off the top of my head, in favor of the X3 interior...

- Nicer wood texture

- Nicer steering wheel design

- A manual transmission

- Nicer leather texture

- A pop-up nav screen

And that's without sitting in it.  Though, in favor of the Impala...

- Nicer stero / HVAC controls

206299[/snapback]

Nicer wood texture? It's glossy smooth!

Nicer steering wheel design? It must be that 3-spoke thing that everyone harps on. I like neither of them actually

Manual transmission isn't an interior feature

Nicer leather texture? you can tell that from photographs?

Pop-up nav screen... ok you've got me there since the Impala doesn't come with Nav.

But still, I was talking about design more than features.

Drew Dowdell    5,000

The X3 feels well-made... like a quality product. The Impala doesn't.

But since when did C&Gers start comparing $40K BMWs to $20K Chevys? The SRX would be a fairer match.

206304[/snapback]

I'm sure you're only refering to the minutia.

My point is, design wise, there isn't a $20k swing here...

regfootball    234

Whatever happened to cars, America? This thing is still uglier than a 3er wagon; nothing is going to help that. And the interior blows.

206269[/snapback]

people have decided SUV's and crossovers are more of what they want these days. Sedans and coupes are headed for the relic bin, unfortunately.

the x3 interior is nicer because it has seats you sit in, not floppy seats like the impalas you sit on.

the x3's dash angles towards the driver.

the (NEW) x3 has better plastics. the old x3 had terrible plastic.

Edited by regfootball

aaaantoine    4

Nicer wood texture?  It's glossy smooth!

Nicer steering wheel design? It must be that 3-spoke thing that everyone harps on.  I like neither of them actually

Pop-up nav screen... ok you've got me there since the Impala doesn't come with Nav.

206323[/snapback]

Wood texture is glossy smooth on both. And I'm not even considering whether or not it's faux wood, which it probably is in the Impala. Anyway, the wood in the X3 matches the interior better than the wood in the Impala, IMO.

The wheel design isn't so much about the number of spokes, just that the Impala's wheel seems very, very plain and ordinary to me. The X3 wheel stands out.

You got me on the MT. I just thought I'd point out that it's there, and available.

In the photos you posted, you can see the stitching and gentle rippling in the BMW seats. The Impala just has flat, no frills leather.

In summary, these are the differences you'd expect between a family sedan and a luxury vehicle. I am not bashing the Impala for bashing's sake. It has a pleasant interior overall. Just... boring.

But on another note, I hate the look of the radio in the X3.

...When the hell did I become an interior snob!? :blink:

Drew Dowdell    5,000

Wood texture is glossy smooth on both.  And I'm not even considering whether or not it's faux wood, which it probably is in the Impala.  Anyway, the wood in the X3 matches the interior better than the wood in the Impala, IMO.

The wheel design isn't so much about the number of spokes, just that the Impala's wheel seems very, very plain and ordinary to me.  The X3 wheel stands out.

In the photos you posted, you can see the stitching and gentle rippling in the BMW seats.  The Impala just has flat, no frills leather.

206510[/snapback]

I'll agree about the wood, but I couldn't find a tan interior Impala. The tan interior with the wood looks 1000 times better.

So here is gray X3 interior....

Posted Image

but you're still focusing on items that naturally would be different on cars with a $20k difference.

I'm talking about the over all design. Other than the steering wheel, it just doesn't look special, or more better, or any of the terms generally thrown about regarding BMW interiors.

These look much more upscale and give a "warm fuzzy" that the X3 doesn't.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I mean really. Look at that SRX dash compaired to the X3. Cadillac is ahead of BMW in design in this case.

What I'm getting at here is that the X3's asthetic design is more akin to the Impala's when it should be more along the lines of the M-class, SRX, and Touareg.

aaaantoine    4

I'll agree about the wood, but I couldn't find a tan interior Impala. The tan interior with the wood looks 1000 times better.

So here is  gray X3 interior....

Posted Image

206519[/snapback]

Okay. Now THAT is nasty. Is that still a $40,000 car we're looking at? The Impala's interior wins against that, hands-down.

but you're still focusing on items that naturally would be different on cars with a $20k difference.

I'm talking about the over all design. Other than the steering wheel, it just doesn't look special, or more better, or any of the terms generally thrown about regarding BMW interiors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I mean really. Look at that SRX dash compaired to the X3. Cadillac is ahead of BMW in design in this case.

What I'm getting at here is that the X3's asthetic design is more akin to the Impala's when it should be more along the lines of the M-class, SRX, and Touareg.

206519[/snapback]

Agreed, these are all nicer interiors than the one in the X3.

ohsnap    0

It's definitely not cute in that gray.....I like it tan though. It's still on our list for our next car but with the RDX $10k less I'm leaning towards the RDX.

The O.C.    2

Nicer wood texture?  It's glossy smooth!

Nicer steering wheel design? It must be that 3-spoke thing that everyone harps on.  I like neither of them actually

206323[/snapback]

BMW = Real wood. Chevy = Fake wood.

BMW = Soft-touch plastics (especially more now with the '07 redesign.) Chevy = Lots more hard-touch plastics

BMW = Manufacture of the various interior parts/console/door panels/lids all feel like they are carved out of granite. Chevy = Floor console you can wiggle back-and-forth for example....glovebox door that "clangs" when you close it instead of "thunks" like the BMW's does.

BMW = Clear, concise, easy-to-read gauges. Chevy = NASCAR-inspired red and grey flash to the instruments (SS at least)

BMW = Wonderfully-supportive seats with (optional) leather that FEELS like leather. Chevy = Woefully flat seats with (optional) leather that feels more like vinyl.

Just some examples.

The O.C.    2

So here is  gray X3 interior....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

206519[/snapback]

First of all, the grey X3 interior is the previous-gen dash.

Next, the X3s interior, for better or worse (I think better) follows relatively closely to BMWs current design language as represented by 3, 5, 7, and the new X5.

BMW isn't trying to give the X3 an RX330 Lexus-like interior. That's not what BMW interiors are supposed to be like.

Drew Dowdell    5,000

First of all, the grey X3 interior is the previous-gen dash.

209197[/snapback]

Is it a bad thing that I can't tell? Even after you pointed it out... I still really can't tell.

Posted Image

Posted Image

toyoguy    0

what does an SAV (rofl) exactly need such a meaty steering wheel for.

Nobody and I mean nobody is going to try to cut a corner in this.

This isn't a true BMW and an insult to the nameplate.

sciguy_0504    0

It's too mechanical for me, too cold. Even the tan interior does not exude warmth and it is barely changed from the previous-gen. This is "new?" Must be a joke.

The O.C.    2

what does an SAV (rofl) exactly need such a meaty steering wheel for.

Nobody and I mean nobody is going to try to cut a corner in this.

This isn't a true BMW and an insult to the nameplate.

209330[/snapback]

Uh.....have you driven an X3?

It's most likely THE best-handling SUV ON THE MARKET.....(at least numbers-wise)

C&D tested one when it first came out with the Sport package.....and yes the ride is tough.....but the X3 pulled 0.88g (!) on the skidpad....performance wasn't that bad with the "old" 3.0L pulling 0-60 in 7.4secs with the 6-speed manual tranny....

I drove my friend's X3 that she just got.....with the base suspension and automatic and was amazed at how nimble it was even without the sports package....and how little body-roll there was.

turbo200    6

How is this....

Posted Image

Posted Image

seriously....

206280[/snapback]

imo, the dash has more design to it, more taste, more creativity. let's leave the materials aside for a second and focus on the look, the gauges and steering wheel look more expensive/look more professional/look nicer, the upper dash design seems more substantial looking while also looking less fat [i don't know how to explain this better, just look at it I guess], the lines are more appealing on the upper dash, the center stack flows has creativity has lines and it looks ten times more classy with BMWs no frills stereo design and quality wood, GM's center stack is like every other GM center stack, like a log with a dimple in the middle no design appeal no lines just a round pod attached to a log. Creative door panel design only add to that quality feel.

However, this is not a fair comparison, SRX versus X3 is fair and I see you have that too.

Aside from what's listed above, the experience when you sit in the car is of a much better made car in the X3, the Impala feels unfinished and raw.