Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Wimpy Horn

tas81685

As most may have noticed GM has a very wimpy horn for their big trucks in the Silverado/Sierra class. I am looking to put in an new horn in replace of the old. I do not really want to worry about a big rig horn with all the compressor and mounting junk so just a quick replacement for a louder/deeper horn would be great. ANY SUGGESTION???

Oh, I'm right there with you with the same question!

For my '59 Buick, I'm using the low/high tone seashells from the '59, plus a mid tone seashell and a trumpet from the 4-note horned '72 Riviera. I rigged them up on the Riv I got them from and it sounded like a tugboat- unbelievably awesome.

I tried putting a pair of mid-'60s GM H/L seashells on my '94 Ford, but it was like there wasn't enough juice to them or something- they had a sickly warble that prompted their immediate removal. I suspect the same result would be the case on a more recent Silverado/Sierra. Horn construction must be different- electronic??

There has to be something available somewhere...

Guest YellowJacket894

Wow. From the sound of it, BV has gotten maybe a little too close with his Mazda.

Oh, and as for your horn, try looking online for a replacement. Otherwise, I'm not that sure of what to do. Balt's suggestion, however, probably is your best route -- just try to mess around with different horns you have in mind to get the tone and sound you want.

I hate the wussy tone of my gf's Prizm...it needs a better horn. I've always wanted to mount a train horn to a car :lol:

206973[/snapback]

It's funny you say that because truckers do it all the time and I have a friend in SoCal that has mounted some train horns to his fleet of antique buses. His are tuned perfectly, unlike most locomotive horns which get stuck up with soot and other stuff and damn.... they are loud and perfect sounding.

I understand the need to be heard when honking your horn, but they can't be that wimpy that you'd actually need a louder one. Course, I love the horn my Millenia has. It's scares Buicks. :P

My family has had two 90s Park Aves, (My bro still has the 92, and my dad had a 94), and the horn on those things sounds like a fricken train.