The 1995 Grand Am GT 5spd

Yup... It's time for some pics of the GA. I took them about a month ago. I just washed, waxed, and shined it up before I took them. Now for the basic rundown...

It's a Spruce green matallic coupe with the 150hp Quad4 and 5spd. It's stock for the most part except for a few things. Currently, though, the headgaskets leak and it ticks. Nothing too serious as it is runable, just have to check the oil for water quite often and keep a close eye on the gauges. Other than that and the need for a new paint job, it's in excellent condition. It has 118,000 miles. I bought it around New Year's and I paid $1000 for it.

The very few mods include: Clarion ProAudio reciever, Sony Xplod front and Visonic rear speakers, DEI Viper security system, K&N air filter, AVS headlight covers, and a "Grand Am GT" window sticker. Also, I just installed my blacklight a few days ago. I may have pics of it soon... Depending on whether you guys will bash me or not. :P

However, the long list of what I plan to do/get includes: Paint it, lower it 1 1/2 inches, 17" Mille Miglia wheels, tint windows, clean up cladding, Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, clear taillights, custom leather seats, Alpine Type-S speakers/sub, Alpine 5-way amp, 4-wheel disc brakes, catback exhaust, and some parts from the HO Quad4. Alot of that depends on a few things, though.

Here are the pics:

Exterior:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9
Pic 10

Interior:
Pic 11
Pic 12
Pic 13 Edited by blackviper8891

It's a nice looking car, Vipes. When I was your age, I wanted to modify the hell out of my car too. My '81 Grand Prix (brand new at the time) had those little chrome manual mirrors on each side. I didn't like those, so I planned on replacing them with those black euro-style mirrors that were popular then. Thinking back on it, I'm glad I didn't because they would have looked like crap on the GP. Then I wanted rims. My car had the Pontiac rally wheels. I wanted Keystones, but I couldn't afford to put a set of 4 on all at once. I bought one rim. It sat in the box for a year. I eventually took the wheel to a tire shop to put on consignment and that was the last time I saw it. I never got paid for it.

The point of my longwinded story is... it's your first car, and you have big plans. That's natural, but the best thing to do would be to get the head gasket situation fixed, along with any other mechanical issues. Driving it every day will help you get a feel for it and it might bring out some other things that you'd want to do before you start your customization process.

Oh... Always. Most I what I planned to do (but probably won't... I dream big. :P ) was to come after I took care of some problems. However, I really don't know if the head gasket is actually leaking. My dad said it was, but now he says it's fine.. and I just do not know anymore. The ticking is what I would say is the biggest problem, but its more of an inconveniance having to listen to it. It doesn't keep the engine from running great or anything. I don't mind it, but it bothers the hell out of my dad. The sad thing is... no one knows what causes it. Wasn't the timing chain, the headgasket, or anything else my dad checked. Yesterday, they were thinking it was the not-working A/C (I have no idea why) so they disconnected it... wasn't that. Now they think it's a ground wire somewhere. So... I guess we'll see. Anyways, it may be a first car, but it's in alot better condition then many of my family member's vehicles... which aren't firsts. Given that, my unwillingness to let go, and my willing to sacrifice... I think modding it is fine and should keep it for a while. :D Run it until it dies or until I absolutely need to get rid of it. If anything, some mods should raise it's value if I do sell it sometime. BTW, a little update... the Alpine speakers are to be ordered soon. I almost have enough money (I need a job :lol: ). Front and rear combined is about $190.

Nah... It always ticks. Although when I'm off the gas to decelerate or go down a hill, it doesn't. But when I'm on it or it's idling, it does. It does it the most when I'm cruising with my foot hardly on the gas. According to the previous owner, it starting ticking when he put in valve coils... I think that's what he said, atleast.

yeah nice car man, what you need before anything in that car is make sure you get a cb, saved me a shiteload on cell since my friends all got em, you can put a PA system on a lot of new CB radios and use it like a cop car, lots of fun at the local malt shop, and as far as performance goes, a CAI is nice, you can make your own temporarily or permanently if you have enough skill that your confident enough to do it or buy one for a couple of bucks, personally i think getting a new one looks nice, but you can make a new one just fine that looks decent, my friend used metal ducting and ducting tape, not duct tape, metal ducting tape, it looks pretty crappy for him, but im sure you could do better if you want to try it all in all CB radios are fun and if you and your buddys want to get one, a good one is prolly around a hundred bucks, but itll save on the cell if ya all got one Edited by mute

What the hell is a valve coil?

[post="1718"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You of all people should know what a Valve coil is.

Next you'll tell me you don;t know what a Whatsama-Flange is. This morning I was checking my blinker fluid and I noticed my sproket recirculator widget was al out of wack so I hit it with the left handed hammer a few times and fixed it. The trouble is I broke my trnasceiver gizmo in the process. ;)

Pretty much the same shade taht they paintede my STS in. My buddy Duffy's 1991 GTA is similar too but it's got more olive in it. Metallic greens look great on Pontiacs. Nothing says "Yes, I'm horny" like a forrest green Firebird! :lo:

:blink: Anyways... I'm having alot of fun with this car. So far... I've had it up to 80 mph... in 4th gear. I've also found out where it puts out the most power... around 4000 RPMs. But it's a torque-less little thing. I can rev the hell out of it on hills, yet once I shift into the next gear, it just won't go. On flat roads... it's fine, though. Also, this thing has one hell of a reverse, I got to tell you. I swear it's faster than 1st. :D One thing that I love to do is to turn off my radio and listen to the engine. For a 4cyl, this thing sounds awesome. It is by far the best sounding one I've heard. It still needs a less restrictive exhaust system, however. That will surely make it sound even better and give me some better performance. Also, I offered to take Bekah for a ride (she's finally starting to not hate so much)... but she says I drive too fast. She's right, but I don't always drive that fast. Only when I'm bored and I want to have some fun... Which is roughly 60% of the time, sadly. :P Oh, btw, I'm getting pretty shitty fuel economy for a 4cyl. But hey, what can I say... It's fun driving with a lead-foot and I'm not paying for gas. :lol: It'll be a bitch, once I do, though. :(

Nobody loves me enough to reply...

Anyways, not only is my parking brake shit... My back brakes are shit. They work, but about as well as the ones on my "Piece of Shit" TRX200... Barely. They're crappy drums anyways...

Also, I just noticed that the fog lights turn off when the high beams are off. It's retarded. They're not even that bright. More or less, they're for looks only. I'm going to see what I can do about that... Another thing is my headlight stalk. Talk about annoying. It takes about 5 pulls to get it to switch from high to low beam or vice-versa. I think it may be because its shitty and because of what I said earlier.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes... it was. Lost 5hp too. Although I didn't realize the redline was that low. The gauges clearly show it to be higher than that. I think that's a case of not getting what was paid for... :P j/k But damn. I thought I hadn't come close to the redline yet, but if that is really what it is, I just about hit it a few times... Oh well... Since you revived this thread, I might as well type some more... I haven't gone for a top speed run, yet. I keep meaning to, but I can't find a long enough straight stretch where cops don't lurk. So far, it's still only been up to about 80. I have, however, had some serious fun on the road commonly called "Rollercoaster Road". It earns that name. Woo... Talk about stomach butterflies. And I was only going 60 down it. If I went any faster, I may have left the ground. Don't know, though... I'll have to try. :D Also, another thing I've been meaning to try is a FWD burnout. It can be down, but maybe not with the GA. If the conditions are right, I may be able to. The feel of some starts make me think so... But I'll just have to try it. B) Oh, lastly, the PA GA meet is in less than a week now... Can't wait.

Yeah... well, the backroads around here don't have very long straights and they are very rough. I have to drive the hell out of it to get speed just before I get to one. Basically, I need to be going 70 around some tight turns. Not easy with the road being so rough and with only two good tires. And as I said, I had to slow down for a damn Civic unless I wanted to rear end him. I would have just tried again, but can't really be wasting gas until its back below $2/gal, which will never happen. :D

• 1 month later...
hehe good one, once in my 01 gls alero I took an exit ramp at 105 mph, when I got to the end i was still going 30 after florrring the brakes through the ramp but I managed to merge with traffic lol crazy crap, anyways it was an emergency one of my friends mom was in the hospital and I was taing him there as they needed him for blood donation. Also on that trip I had the car maxed at its 110 limiter for about 10 miles and I was doing 70 on a 25 mph back road where I got a about 3 ft of air over a rise. The alero handled like a champ, took the bumps and flew whenever I floored it. N-bodies are good handling cars. There is somuch you can do swaping parts with the quad 4. Ive know people to get 230 or so hp naturally aspirated for only about 3 grand. I lie the look of your generation GA better than the last generation BV sharp looing car, if only GM had better interiors inthe mid 90's.

Yeah... N-bodies rock. :D

I tell you though... I've been wasting my gas pretty regularly as I've found a new road. It's strange as I drive by it everyday, yet I never really drove on it and realized how much fun it is. Super fun. I smile everytime I drive on it. Basically, the pavement is actually in pretty good condition (well, atleast compared to what I'm used to) and there are lots of tight turns, hills, and just plain crazy sections. There is also one tight turn located on an abrupt hill.... I really have to tell you that getting air while going around a turn is scary. I didn't think I would and didn't realize how much of a drop off it is. I almost lost it. Anyways, the rest of the road is so fun and can give me butterflies in my stomach. :P

I still invite any and all C&Gers to come over here and try out these roads. B)

Anyways, I've heard about the potential for the Quad4. My problem is that I really don't have the money (unless I start selling sh!t) and my GA is more or less just a beater. A pretty damn good beater at that. I try to take care of it, but it needs too much so I run the hell out of it. Glad to say it's put up with it so far... although the sh!tty roads around here are taking a beating on it. Lots of newly found noises coming from the dash and such...

BTW, I'm suprised that people like my GA, styling wise, better than the 5th gen. I mean, I love the look of mine and all, but it's a cluttered design. IMO...

Also, another thing I've been meaning to try is a FWD burnout. It can be down, but maybe not with the GA. If the conditions are right, I may be able to. The feel of some starts make me think so... But I'll just have to try it. B)

[post="16410"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Go to a "do it yourself" carwash. Drive into a puddle wiht only the front wheels and yank hard on the e/p-brake. Bring it up to 3000 RPM (or more if you hate your car) and drop the clutch and watch the smoke start to build.

If you want to cheat even more.... pour Bleach on the tires... smells nasty but makes sick clouds of smoke. For the record I've never used bleach on the Camaro.... I did at the Burnout contest with my '83 Firebird.

• 1 month later...
Shh, don't tell anyone, but I like the Grand Am Coupes. Especially in that nice dark green. And stickshift? Say no more.

• 1 month later...
Uh-huh... Well... I know! You could buy it! Only $500. It just needs a headgasket and some TLC here and there and it'll be a great... beater? Daily driver? IDK.. whatever! :P Also, you better act quick! I've suddenly got a few people interested in it... By the time you change your mind, it might be too late! :lol: :D (Do I sound desperate?)

If I had the money.. I'd be interested in learning stick off it. Is it driveable at the moment or will it need to be repaired before driving? You're about 5 hours south west from me so that's a bit of a drive.

If I had the money.. I'd be interested in learning stick off it. Is it driveable at the moment or will it need to be repaired before driving?

You're about 5 hours south west from me so that's a bit of a drive.

[post="84559"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, it would need a headgasket for sure. I mean, it's driveable, but it can't be driven far without overheating. If I don't sell it, I think I'll just put a headgasket in it. My dad said a headgasket costs $100 (does that sound right?). My mom was going to pay for half of it, if I wanted to get it. IDK, it really all depends on whether anyone buys it. I know atleast one person is supposed to be coming to look at it this weekend. One was supposed to yesterday, but he blew me off. Never came... bastard.

Heh, BHG... I know how you feel. My car's got a BHG but its also got an aluminum head. That means if i go through too many heat cycles, it could "meltdown" and warp the head. Dont know what your cylinder head is, though. It wouldnt make a world of difference if your leak was small though. Also if you had a water jacket to oil jacket leak, youd have needed to change the oil and coolant constantly, as im sure you would have done. New generally HG cost about 100 bucks or so depending. Hope you get things worked out, whatever you decide to do BV. B)