Do this poll. Now.

pow

No on 85. If the minor's parents are abusive, that would be a problem.

Yes on 87. I have mixed feelings about this because I'm not sure this is the right mechanism to fund alternative energy research.

No on 88. This is a flat $50 assessment on all real property on California. If local school districts want to vote on an assessment, I'm for that, but this should not be Statewide.

The initiative process in California has gotten out of hand. But the legislature is less than functional as well.

But the legislature is less than functional as well.

210044[/snapback]

Maybe just tell the governor that deadlocks are caused by Skynet infiltrating the legislature with T-1000's.

That ought to end any deadlocks. But it could also cause a few by-elections due to death and dismemberment...

I like the initiative process, actually, and think it really fits California. Since California is a very progressive state with a lot of people who care and WANT to be involved in government, I think it works. Not all states would benefit from this though because for example in Indiana, people just hate any change whatsoever...and sometimes the elected officials really do know what's best for the people and if the initiative process were introduced there, nothing would ever get done.

Double-edged sword...it helps things get done in some cases but could hinder in others...in CA though it works.

We pay school taxes here in NY to the tune of $26 per $1000 real assessment(our area is cheap). We can vote against the raised budget every year but its a joke. If they dont get the money, they make parents drive their kids to the end of the roads for school. Its technically called a "contingency budget", but in reality its the "we gotcha clause"

Teenage pregancy - I would want to know but I also know kids dont want their parents involved. I cant blame them. I also strongly feel that babies should not be having babies, like they tell us when they ship our jobs overseas........things have changed! Starting familys at 14,15,16,17-18 or even 20-24 does not fit in with todays "advanced" (hardy har har) culture.

Alternative energy _ well.......yea........but .....no. Many studies have already been done that prove we can not even begin to produce enough corn in this country to power our automobiles. Let alone address what corn farming does to the soil in both nutrition and erosion. Solar energy is still far too ineffiecient. Windmills cant put a dent in our usuage. Leaves one wondering if we shouldnt put our resources into figureing out a different way to live. :scratchchin:

croc is wrong in his assessment of simple country folk. We know whats best and that is not turning into the suburbs. Which means little and slowest change possible. These mass population/developement changes pined as economic/community growth only suit those that gain by more numbers which is the bureaucracy. In our eyes this is always a negitive result, flooding an area with city ideas and city ideals, next thing you know money talks and the natives are walking because they can no longer afford to live in the communities they staked their claim on. Ive been to many boad meeting and these people are so self serving and logically lame its sickening. Big difference between the desires of already flooded and suburbanized California and other typical suburbanized areas than those of rural Americans........it dont make us ignorant. Our ideas of getting things done and those of suburbanites are in two different planes.

I feel every single bill that ever comes up should be publically voted on. NY and local gov. pass stuff every day that leaves most of us with our jaws hanging..........yet nothing gets done about it.

Edited by razoredge

croc is wrong in his assessment of simple country folk. We know whats best and that is not turning into the suburbs. Which means little and slowest change possible. These mass population/developement changes pined as economic/community growth only suit those that gain by more numbers which is the bureaucracy. In our eyes this is always a negitive result, flooding an area with city ideas and city ideals, next thing you know money talks and the natives are walking because they can no longer afford to live in the communities they staked their claim on. Ive been to many boad meeting and these people are so self serving and logically lame its sickening. Big difference between the desires of already flooded and suburbanized California and other typical suburbanized areas than those of rural Americans........it dont make us ignorant. Our ideas of getting things done and those of suburbanites are in two different planes.

210185[/snapback]

Don't put so many words in my mouth.

Suburbs are NOT the ideal by any stretch of the imagination...at least as they've been designed for the past 75 years.

What I was referring to was more along the lines of mitigating NIMBY-ism. For example...Indiana needs the extension of I-69 to be built. Nobody can agree where to build it. It needs to be done for economic benefit not only of the state but also the country. If Indiana had the legislative processes that California has, the damn thing would never be built because nobody wants it going across their farmland, or through their town, or near their great aunt Sally's favorite oak tree.

This has nothing to do with imposing the will of Californians on the rest of the nation...in fact I said I didn't think California's processes were appropriate for the rest of the country. So maybe you should read what is actually being said a little more carefully before you jump to conclusions.

M

Fox

Y

Y

N

How anyone could be against Prop 85 is beyond me.

No on 85.  If the minor's parents are abusive, that would be a problem.

210044[/snapback]

The law specifically addresses that.

Edited by sciguy_0504

A minor child's pregnancy is certainly a health concern, physical, mental, and emotional. It is inconceivable to me that this would not be something major enough to notify parents about. "Abusive parents" can be dealt with outside of this. Parents need to know what is going on with their children, especially while they are still under age and living at home. This is a situation where counseling is warranted for the child and her parents to make a healthy decision. It affects all aspects of the girl's life from that moment on.

A minor child's pregnancy is certainly a health concern, physical, mental, and emotional.  It is inconceivable to me that this would not be something major enough to notify parents about.  "Abusive parents" can be dealt with outside of this.  Parents need to know what is going on with their children, especially while they are still under age and living at home.  This is a situation where counseling is warranted for the child and her parents to make a healthy decision.  It affects all aspects of the girl's life from that moment on.

210590[/snapback]

This is true Blu, but parents will control the girls decision.

Maybe make her carry it and then give it up.........sometimes this is the hardest thing.

Maybe they will make her abort when she would back out at last minute......not sure what to think of that one.

Maybe they will do a shotgun wedding............. :lol:

Im no longer ashamed to say it but most young girls have it together far more than we three leggers at that age. They can survive, but if made to carry, it could control the rest of their lives. If made to go full term and then separate it could do long term harm to their spirit. Remember I am a father of a 17 year old girl............who has been told..... "I'll kick her ass............with one of these ( :) ) of course "

Don't put so many words in my mouth.

Suburbs are NOT the ideal by any stretch of the imagination...at least as they've been designed for the past 75 years.

What I was referring to was more along the lines of mitigating NIMBY-ism.  For example...Indiana needs the extension of I-69 to be built.  Nobody can agree where to build it.  It needs to be done for economic benefit not only of the state but also the country.  If Indiana had the legislative processes that California has, the damn thing would never be built because nobody wants it going across their farmland, or through their town, or near their great aunt Sally's favorite oak tree.

This has nothing to do with imposing the will of Californians on the rest of the nation...in fact I said I didn't think California's processes were appropriate for the rest of the country.  So maybe you should read what is actually being said a little more carefully before you jump to conclusions.

210226[/snapback]

You also misunderstand, I went full spectrum on it (as usual) but not at you. However, you spoke that we dont know whats best for us because we hate change. We have good reason. We dont really hate change, but we def. dont want this rapid growth we've seen in the past two decades "coming to our town" but it does, and like I said thats because it serves the purposes of the bureaucracy. This is always the purpose of planning boards, "community growth". Besides interstates mean exactly that.........accesss = developement = suburbs. Interstate means you are closer to the city, this means "they are comming". No insult meant to suburbanites, we would also understand that if we came to your town bought up a bunch of your homes and land and demolished them and planted Norway Spruce trees, we would not be surprises if there was an uproar............ :lol: In other words we dont impose our preferences on suburbanites but when they move to the country, next thing you know their trying to turn the country into the suburbs. Never makes much sense but happens everytime. "Lets move to the county and complain about everything that makes the country the country."

A minor child's pregnancy is certainly a health concern, physical, mental, and emotional.  It is inconceivable to me that this would not be something major enough to notify parents about.  "Abusive parents" can be dealt with outside of this.  Parents need to know what is going on with their children, especially while they are still under age and living at home.  This is a situation where counseling is warranted for the child and her parents to make a healthy decision.  It affects all aspects of the girl's life from that moment on.

210590[/snapback]

For me it's comparable to, "Would you like to know if your 14-year old daughter got breast implants?"

this reminds me of the 2000 elections when gay marriage was the the topic

of debate. many have argued that was a mitigating factor for the republicans success because it got many of the voters out of the house to vote against that and thusly vote for the candidates whom they favored.

i dont think this is anything knew but throwing these referendum/propositions on the ballot is a sure way to get more people out of the house and into the booths.

few issues strike up passion as abortion and gay marriage. parental notification for abortion is a real moral dilemma. much more so than a simple yes/no answer.

in short its loaded.

You also misunderstand, I went full spectrum on it (as usual) but not at you. However, you spoke that we dont know whats best for us because we hate change. We have good reason. We dont really hate change, but we def. dont want this rapid growth we've seen in the past two decades "coming to our town" but it does, and like I said thats because it serves the purposes of the  bureaucracy. This is always the purpose of planning boards, "community growth".  Besides interstates mean exactly that.........accesss = developement = suburbs. Interstate means you are closer to the city, this means "they are comming". No insult meant to suburbanites, we would also understand that if we came to your town bought up a bunch of your homes and land and demolished them and planted Norway Spruce trees, we would not be surprises if there was an uproar............ :lol: In other words we dont impose our preferences on suburbanites but when they move to the country, next thing you know their trying to turn the country into the suburbs. Never makes much sense but happens everytime. "Lets move to the county and complain about everything that makes the country the country."

210657[/snapback]

Razor, if a town does not want the interstate access, and expresses this sentiment to the state government, I guarantee you the government will agree to avoid spending the millions of dollars to construct an interchange.

And yes, Hoosiers hate change. It's a cultural thing. Even the people in the cities hate change. I used that as an example for Indiana, not painting a picture of rural Americans being change-fearing imbeciles who cannot make the decisions best for themselves.