Politicizing....

turbo200

I don't want to turn this into politicizing, or an attack on any one group or party, though it is clear what party my outrage is against. I am not trying to attack the group, but moreso the leaders of it who are in office now. The ones who are, sadly, corrupting their party and leading this nation down ever more tenser halls.

Why should we divide so much? Why can't we all just agree and meet in the middle, that's supposed to be the beauty of our government, is that we have two parties to check and balance each other for the benefit of the public. One party that favors more government involvement and one that favors less. But where did we go wrong that all we can do is turn something into, "You, Democrats think this way, and you Republican, are wrong because of this."

Those in control don't want to lose control. That is why we are where we are. They don't care about what's best for America, they are fighting to stay in control. Never has it been more and more and f@#king more clear than this week, with all Republicans jumping on a misguided joke that was supposed to mean something, and clearly meant that, but everyone including the President denounced, in a stupid, I repeat, stupid fashion. The way the joke has been misinterpreted shows the Republicans believe themselves to have IQ lower than that of a 13 year older, because that's the age it takes to understand what Kerry was trying to say.

I don't know what you all think of Kieth Olbermann. I'm not the kind of person that sits at home watching anyone of the "reporters/commentators" whatever you want to call them. Occasionally, I see them speaking and I can agree or disagree with what they say. O'reilly surprised me the other day because I actually agreed with him on something he said, but I've never cared to watch him so it's not like that's a rarity or anything.

Anyways, I just got to the gym when Olbermann was giving his consensus on the Bush reply to Kerry's comment. If you have the time to read it, that would be great, and then comment constructively. Please do not turn this into little comments that absolutely add nothing. Let's not turn this into one side versus the other [though I suspect opinions have changed a lot since the last election].

It's no longer responsible to continue to be divisive. It is no longer responsible to throw mud in each other's face.

Here are some links and quotes from what he had to say.

EDIT: I've just read through the first article and realized it mirrors my thinking pretty much identically. I didn't read the article, I caught the middle of the speech where he starts talking about the misinterpretation of the Kerry quote on TV. I just wanted to say my opinions were based on little knowledge of what's going on in the political world but some experience with how it does affect the country, and it wasn't based on Olbermann's thinking alone.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15519404/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15392701/

It is from the Republican National Committee;

It shows images of Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri;

It offers quotes from them—all as a clock ticks ominously in the background.

It concludes with what Zawahiri may or may not have said to a Pakistani journalist as long ago as 2001:  His dubious claim that he had purchased “suitcase bombs.”

The quotation is followed (by sheer coincidence no doubt) by an image of a massive explosion.

“These are the stakes,” appears on the screen, quoting exactly from Lyndon Johnson’s infamous nuclear scare commercial from 1964.

“Vote—November 7th.”

Eleven Presidents ago, a chief executive reassured us that “we have nothing to fear but fear itself.”

His distant successor has wasted his administration insisting that there is nothing we can have but fear itself.

The vice president, as recently as this month, was caught campaigning with the phrase “mass death in the United States.”

Four years ago it was the now-Secretary of State, Dr. Rice, rationalizing Iraq with “we don’t want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud.”

Days later Mr. Bush himself told an audience that “we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun, that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud.

P.S. This guy is heavily opinionated and not for the faint of heart. He is pissed and it is clear. The second article is about a commercial that's just been released; another example of people in power who lack principle. They want to attack based on people's naivete and innocence and ignorance, they are instilling fear and taking advantage of decent people. I hate it.

Edited by turbo200

I don't really have anything of substance to add beyond my agreement on all counts. I've been registered republican since I was first able to vote and I've recently decided to switch my registration to independent. None of the major parties reflect my beliefs any more. I didn't vote for Bush in either election but I didn't feel him being elected was a serious mistake until his second term.

To be fair, I have little comfort in the thought of the democrats taking over, but I see no other way to force a shift in the direction of the ways things are going.

I think my feelings about this administration are well known, and I find it sad that in this day and age and after all that our forefathers fought for that disagreement with government policies and leadership is automatically branded as un-American.

Lounge Rules

While the Lounge is for members only, there are two key points we wish to have our members abide by:

1) Please use office talk. Talk that you would not use around the office, or infront of your boss for that matter, please do not use here on C&G

2) No political talk. There are plenty of forums on the 'net for that. Lets keep C&G free of political talk.

Political parties and affiliations aside, there are some serious precedents being set in this country that more Americans need to be aware are happening. Not many know of the Military Commissions Act or the Supreme Court ruling in Connecticut (dealing with private property ownership), but these two actions conflict with key rights bestowed to us under the Constitution.

I'm leery of the direction our country is heading.

Political parties and affiliations aside, there are some serious precedents being set in this country that more Americans need to be aware are happening.  Not many know of the Military Commissions Act or the Supreme Court ruling in Connecticut (dealing with private property ownership), but these two actions conflict with key rights bestowed to us under the Constitution. 

I'm leery of the direction our country is heading.

211714[/snapback]

Military Commissions Act:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15365720/site/newsweek/

This is how the White House describes it [for a counter balance :scratchchin: :

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20061017-1.html

Edited by turbo200

Washington said political parties will ruin this country.

Thats why i look at both canadiates and choose the better one. Lately i have been leaving blank balots because neither deserve a vote.

One editorial I've read suggested that middle-class Americans start voting for independant candidates to send a wake-up call to bipartisan government, to focus on real issues rather than the relatively trivial ones.

I'm no political expert, but regardless of Lounge rules, I like this thread. Keep it going.

The most important thing is that the politicians know that we care. If they continue to see our piss-poor turnout at the polls, they'll continue to not give a crap what we think (speaking for any demographic, but particularly the 18-30 crowd).

I've watched "Countdown w/Keith Olbermann" since it debuted a few years ago. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan of Keith. There are too few counterpoints to Rush, Hannity, et al. In the last few months the show has really turned up its criticism of the Bush administration, and rightly so. Last night's was one of Keith's better "special comments", but they've all been pretty good.

I think the state of politics is pretty sad on both sides. It's all about shallow soundbites. The problem with the current administration is that there is a total lack of accountability and check and balances. It has shown that divided government is a good thing after all.

Line em all up and mow them down, push them into a big pit and cover with the weekly garbage.

Then and only then can we rest assured the next batch will take their job seriously and protect what needs to be protected in this country and then let the other countries finish their own laundry.

The only good "law makers" are those that are dead............. :pbjtime:

sad fact is that Americans are as divided in thier beliefs as our politicians, so no matter what is done or what is said the country and the whole world for that matter will always be in a steady state of decline as we obsess with the almighty dollar and what we percieve as progress