Saw the New Tundra Last Night

mystik

I went to a Houston Rockets game last night and they had a 2007 Tundra all under wraps set to be unveiled at halftime. Kinda bugged me how much they were promoting it as a "Truck built in Texas, by Texans, for Texans.". It looked smaller in real life than it does in the pic, and the slight angle on the rear pillars make the extended cab look really short. On another note, I read in Motor Trend that Toyota delayed the Tundra when it heard that the Silverado was debuting with two interiors. They felt they needed to make their interior more upscale with nicer materials. lol.

I went to a Houston Rockets game last night and they had a 2007 Tundra all under wraps set to be unveiled at halftime. Kinda bugged me how much they were promoting it as a "Truck built in Texas, by Texans, for Texans.". It looked smaller in real life than it does in the pic, and the slight angle on the rear pillars make the extended cab look really short. On another note, I read in Motor Trend that Toyota delayed the Tundra when it heard that the Silverado was debuting with two interiors. They felt they needed to make their interior more upscale with nicer materials. lol.

212198[/snapback]

wait you mean Toyota is advertising the new Tundra in the Toyota center?

and they're advertising the fact that they built a huge facility in San Antonio to accomdate it.

Just as an FYI, I went to the Toyota dealer Friday. They had no FJ's around, are selling Camry hybrids at sticker, they started construction on an expansion lot exclusively for the new Tundra. :scratchchin:

wait you mean Toyota is advertising the new Tundra in the Toyota center?

and they're advertising the fact that they built a huge facility in San Antonio to accomdate it.

Just as an FYI, I went to the Toyota dealer Friday.  They had no FJ's around, are selling Camry hybrids at sticker, they started construction on an expansion lot exclusively for the new Tundra. :scratchchin:

212212[/snapback]

Didnt say they shouldn't advertise in the Toyota Center did I? Bothers me how over the top Texan they're trying to be. Look at us! Our name starts with the same letter that Texas does! We're more Texas than Chevy! Whichever way you slice it, the truck looked bloated and awkward. Not classy or elegant in the least bit.

In all fairness, I think the Tundra will be a good truck... albeit not a great one.

It may boast a slight advantage in the "fit & finish" category compared to the Domestics, and it may hold its own in other aspects...

But... I don't see any real deal-breakers on this truck... nothing innovative that'll draw attention from the truck buying public.

The new Tundra is being shown off at the New England International Auto Show in Boston. I got a good look at it but didn't find it overly impressive. I don't like the convoluted design of the interior, and after sitting in the GMT-900s, I don't think it will have too much of an advantage in fit/finish either. Unfortunately, I still know it will sell based on the fact that "it's a Toyota" and I don't think a 380hp/6speed combo will hurt sales either.

EDIT: I'm planning on going back to the show this Friday and want to spend some more time looking at it. I should have pictures as well if anyone wants to see anything in particular.

Edited by bcs296

The new Tundra is being shown off at the New England International Auto Show in Boston. I got a good look at it but didn't find it overly impressive. I don't like the convoluted design of the interior, and after sitting in the GMT-900s, I don't think it will have too much of an advantage in fit/finish either. Unfortunately, I still know it will sell based on the fact that "it's a Toyota" and I don't think a 380hp/6speed combo will hurt sales either.

EDIT: I'm planning on going back to the show this Friday and want to spend some more time looking at it. I should have pictures as well if anyone wants to see anything in particular.

212403[/snapback]

see if you can get the reactions of the people looking at it. (assuming theres a crowd gathered.) that might be interesting.

I saw a Tundra at the Topsfield Fair last month. In person, it looks ok...better than in the pics. That said, The front is awkward...the headlights are just floating there, the design isn't particularly aggressive and it wouldn't look out of place with a Hyundai badge on it. Didn't get to see the interior much though.

I'm also not very impressed with Toyota's representatives. I talked to an official one, and he was going on and on about how the Tundra beat the 5.6 liter Hemi Ram. :rolleyes:

Guest YellowJacket894

It'll probably sell just like the old one, with maybe a slightly higher margin of sales.

I'll point out a few things that prove my point that the Tundra will not live up to the hype presented by the media:

• Showed a photo of the new Tundra to a relative who owns three Toyota products (a 1998 Camry, a 1996 Tacoma, and a 2003 Tundra), one of them the current Tundra. Needless to say, he wasn't thrilled in anyway with the styling compared to the truck he already owns. He said if he should need to trade in his truck, he would shop elsewhere.

Bottom Line: The Tundra is not a looker. Get over it. It makes me think of certain Pontiac models of the Nineties that tried way too hard to make their statement as a sporty vehicle. The Tundra tries way to hard to be a truck and something more than what it replaces and fails. Sorry.

• Recently, I spent some time with a new, top-of-the-line GMT-900 Silverado Crew Cab at a dealer. The Crew Cab had the interior shared with the Tahoe and fit and finish was similar to the Tahoe -- small to no gaps, all pieces fit great, switchgear felt solid and far above cheap, driving position was excellent, materials seemed to be worth the price paid for the truck. Remembering back to setting in the Tundra my relative owns, it was at or even above the Tundra's fit and finish.

Bottom Line: Guess who's caught up, Toyota? Yeah, that's right. GM.

• I've yet to drive a new Silverado (or the Tundra for that matter) and I can't honestly say I know what this area is like. I'll update this opinion when possible.

Bottom Line: Remains to be seen.

I'll also post my views when I get to see Toyota's new Tundra in person. But I doubt much will change, if anything at all. Edited by YellowJacket894

I have spent some time with the Silverado (although WHY oh WHY would GM ship everyone in the Toronto area the same color and same model??) LTZ and drove it over some pretty bad roads (is Toronto competing with Montreal these days?) and can say that I am amazed at the road holding ability of this truck. Gone is the shudder and shake that pick ups always had as the rear end bounced and jounced around.

Interior fit and finish is amazing, too. For better or worse, the Chevrolet corporate look is encompassing all vehicles of late from the IMpala to the Tahoe and now the Silverado. It is clean and uncluttered. Everything in its place.

Compared to current Tundra's I have seen, it is leagues ahead. Is it better than the upcoming Tundra? From pics I"ve seen, I suspect not, but in this market it is getting harder and harder to score any direct hits.

Truthfully, the F150 and Silverado are amazing vehicles. Beating either of them is going to be damned hard. How much money is Toyota willing to throw at a market that is fiercely loyal and hugely profitable to GM and Ford? GM and Ford can spread improvements across nearly a million units each; Toyota's pick up sales are barely a fraction of that. Toyota may be cash rich, but they need to be careful that hubris doesn't sink them.

Why is it that when everyone talks abou the truck market, they tend to include GM and Ford but not Dodge? Dodge may not sell as much, but it still sells alot and it's plenty competetive. Granted, it's getting older now and probably needs a redesign, but it's no PoS.

ls in regards to brand loyalty, Ram owners are also very loyal.

<_<

Edited by Dodgefan

I'd give you that before the 2nd gen, but not since the 2nd gen Ram.

212718[/snapback]

Like I said, traditionally, as in -1993. Plus, the Ram seemed to lack some of the more thoughtful engineering of the Ford and GM trucks in favor of brute force and domineering looks. The MegaCab is one example of that Dodge correcting that shortfall.

Like I said, traditionally. Plus, the Ram seemed to lack some of the more thoughtful engineering of the Ford and GM trucks in favor of brute force and domineering looks. The MegaCab is one example of that Dodge correcting that shortfall.

212720[/snapback]

Yeah, I get your point. But I still think it should be recognized more, since it is #3 out of 5, and is one of the top sellers in the US market. Hell, at one time it was #3.