Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

08 Turbo 4 dr Cobalt SS

avro206

actually Road & Track just did a review (I think, or else it was car and driver) of the Sky Redline with the auto and found it was faster than the MT. Something about the torque converter keeping the turbo spooled constantly. And I thought the HHR SS was getting the 2.0 turbo, not a 2.2 turbo, did I miss something?

actually Road & Track just did a review (I think, or else it was car and driver) of the Sky Redline with the auto and found it was faster than the MT. Something about the torque converter keeping the turbo spooled constantly. And I thought the HHR SS was getting the 2.0 turbo, not a 2.2 turbo, did I miss something?

217831[/snapback]

no i don't think you missed anything , unless they brought over the European 2.2DI motor for it.

would the power be the same increased ratio? 2.0L ~260hp 2.2L ~ 285hp? :lol:

Turbocharging > Supercharging

Esp. in terms of efficiency!

why bump up the power of a 4dr with a turbo, just to take it away with a slush box?

seems kind of pointless to put an regular auto (not even a tiptronic) on a sporty car like that.

217813[/snapback]

Why, you say?

So people have a choice!

That if they want an automatic they can still have a decently fast car. What is wrong with that? We live in a democracy. Power to the people!!

There are days that I tire of drving the 5 speed in my Cobalt. Rush hour namely. Also over time it seems to be more sensitive to throttle inputs.

Personally, I think the current 4dr Cobalt looks too boring to be made into an SS turbo - give it a restyle so that it looks more sporty, and I'd be fine with having both the coupe & sedan in SS/T trim. :)

217869[/snapback]

I know its a matter of taste but I find the SS 4 dr to be suffiecently distinct from the base 2.2L cars. And when you look at sport sub compacts in its class the 4 dr SS ranks near the top. At lwast for me :AH-HA_wink:

(far better the Focus..yawn, Corolla ect)

why bump up the power of a 4dr with a turbo, just to take it away with a slush box?

seems kind of pointless to put an regular auto (not even a tiptronic) on a sporty car like that.

217813[/snapback]

Actually in many cases turbos are faster with automatics because you don't have to let off of the gas (loosing precious boost) to shift gears, I read this in the Road & Track Sky Redline review also, I seem to remember that the old Buick Grand National (and T-Type) benefited from this also.

Edited by SS427

In these days when Ferrari offers automatics, and Porsche 911 Turbo offers automatics, I think a 4dr 'Balt with a 6-speed manual along with a no cost 6-speed manumatic will make a perfect sense.

Firstly it will be one of the first in its class to do that.

Second it will attract people who do not know to drive manual but want to enjoy "sportiness".

Third it opens up better chances to fight the import humper reviewers to stop them from bitching.

It is a known fact that the Cobalt has an excellent chasis which was tuned at the RING. Furthering a sedan and an automatic will only increase its chances of having better sales.

having both an auto & manual as options = ok

not having a manual option would be dumb.  Like with the Aura, where people complained that they couldn't get a manual, and they tried to play the manumatic as "giving the feel of a manual".  BULL.

219424[/snapback]

For a sports car yes.....mid sized family sedans, not sure about that.

Lat time GM did that was with the W-bodies in the early 90s. They sold very few. And lack of demand is what killed it.

Domestics are the same--all auto V6's. Asians however have some with manuals and some that are auto only .

Perhaps its in the execution.

If GM could produce a good manual transmssion---nice clutch take up, shifter ect.

Make it smooth and easy to drive. Review of those W-bodires I mentioned (3.4L DOHC 5 speeds) were not kind on the manual trans operation.

But then if no one buys it--they can't justify making it. Those G6 6 speeds haven't exactly got glowing reviews.

So yeah I think they should try but get the execution perfect--however if it does not sell, I cannot blame them.

• 4 weeks later...