FIRST LOOK: 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid

Flybrian

Still not a fan of the blob-like new Yukon faces, so this iteration still isn't that great, but they seem like they'll be great vehicles once out.

As long as it all operates flawlessly, and the mileage is significantly improved (i.e., not just barely at all like with AFM), AND the price isn't stratospheric (these trucks are already at the high ends again, with options).

Actually, with this and the Tahoe, I still do wonder. They remove the roof rails, side trim, and rework the fascias to really get the best COD they can and allow for the best possible mileage at all cost, so I wonder what kind of minute effect the same revisions would have on a regular full gas model. Just food for thought, I guess.

But again, the Chevy does look better this time too...

I don't think it looks very good, but obviously those who buy hybrids could care less about looks.

221741[/snapback]

but what if the looks of hybrids are keeping some people away? I'd never buy that pregnant shoebox Toyota calls Prius, but I'd buy an Avalanche Hybrid as long as they didn't change the looks.

I'd buy an Aura hybrid as long as I could get one loaded with all the goodies.

I think one of the most interesting hybrids possible would be an RX-8 hybrid. Low end torque from the electric motor and the freedom to rev to 12,000 rpm.

No, my biggest 3 objections to the current crop of hybrids are:

1. They look like ass

or

2. They look ok, but only come with minimal options available.

or

3. The look good, come with decent options, but mileage advantage is minimized because they made it a sport model with a V-6.

If Saturn makes an Aura XR Greenline that I can load up with every option, I'm sooooo there.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

I don't get it.

The regular Yukon I get, because it's about towing, off-road ability, and high-ridin' style.

But the hybrid Yukon has a limited towing capacity, lowered ground clearance, and tacky add-ons.

It's like... well, making a gas-guzzling full-size SUV more efficient, while taking away the advantages of a gas-guzzling full-size SUV. And the Yukon pales in comparison to the Acadia/Enclave in terms of space and luxury.

That said, 24 combined MPG is impressive for a 3-ton SUV, even if it's a bit pointless.

Where's the body side molding?

222002[/snapback]

Gone for the sake of aerodynamics. I like the looks, and at first agreed with empowah about it being pointless. Then I realized GM is just pandering to the tools who continue to buy fullsize SUVs and never take them offroad or tow anything or haul anything or carry more than 2 people in them. They bitch about gas consumption, so this is a way to appease them. I guess.

I don't get it.

The regular Yukon I get, because it's about towing, off-road ability, and high-ridin' style.

But the hybrid Yukon has a limited towing capacity, lowered ground clearance, and tacky add-ons.

It's like... well, making a gas-guzzling full-size SUV more efficient, while taking away the advantages of a gas-guzzling full-size SUV. And the Yukon pales in comparison to the Acadia/Enclave in terms of space and luxury.

That said, 24 combined MPG is impressive for a 3-ton SUV, even if it's a bit pointless.

222277[/snapback]

How many people actually use their Yukon for towing?

Gone for the sake of aerodynamics.  I like the looks, and at first agreed with empowah about it being pointless.  Then I realized GM is just pandering to the tools who continue to buy fullsize SUVs and never take them offroad or tow anything or haul anything or carry more than 2 people in them.  They bitch about gas consumption, so this is a way to appease them.  I guess.

222279[/snapback]

True. In that sense, the Escalade makes the most sense out of all the GMT900 Hybrids because the Caddy is about extravagance and personal pleasure, not rationality.

:ohyeah: I love the Look. Much better Grill, Love the clean lines. I never used my roof rack and took it off, I also took off the side body molding as it was ugly on my GMC Yukon XL. Clean is what I like. Clean Monochromatic. paint job. The only areas that should have chrome is the wheels and the front grill.

My major bitch with the new Escalade is the over BLING job they did. Way to much chrome. The chrome should be an option. Only so many people like that much chrome and it is usually the rappers and jocks of a certian group that likes it.

Mercedes and BMW have sold millions of dollars on their auto's and never needed freakin Bling. I actually loved the older look of the escalade over the newer version but Hope GM will wake up and make Chrome an option and just leave the large Caddy logo on back and drop the Chrome brick as it looks gawdy.

This Yukon is clean and looks great. The only down side is I use mine to haul Trailors. My boat during spring and summer and my snowmobiles during the winter. It has to have hauling.

Course I would love a Yukon XL with the Duramax and 6sp Allison. That would be da Bomb baby and clean like this one. :P:pbjtime:

That thing looks ugly. Not sure why but there is something strange about it. Where's the body side molding?

222002[/snapback]

They did something strange to the rear bumper..made it squared off and wierd. I noticed the same thing on the Tahoe Hybrid pics a while back.

I might be the only one but I love the idea of the Hybrid looking different from the regular suv offernings.

People seem to forget that hybrid buyers like to be different for difference sake. They want people to know they are driving a hybrid, so GM did the right move on making the hybrid look different and alittle wierd.

• 4 months later...