Business Week reviews Outlook

BW

Saturn's Great New Outlook

Well-designed inside and out, the new Outlook crossover may be the best vehicle that seats seven that GM has ever made

It's worth noting that GM sales and marketing chief Mark LaNeve says the company used the Honda Pilot as a benchmark for pricing and value. Indeed, the vehicles are priced side by side. But the Outlook is far and away a better package and performer than the Pilot. It's a bigger vehicle than the Honda (HMC), yet it gets better fuel economy courtesy of a new 3.6-liter V6 engine.

Saturn executives say they also looked at the Toyota ™ Sequoia, Toyota Sienna, and Honda Odyssey for customers they hope to win over. That demonstrates how much GM feels it has spearheaded a new segment.

good article

No kidding. In my notebook, under "negatives," I didn't write anything. This can't be, I thought.

And unlike the Edge, the Outlook comes with a sport mode to allow easy manual shifting. I was so surprised by my lack of criticism for this vehicle that later I called Jim Hall of AutoPacific, an auto industry consulting firm, who was on the drive with me. "Am I nuts? Is it that good?" Hall, never afraid to criticize, said, "Yeah, it is.

Is the Outlook too good to be true? Not at all. But for people who are drifting around the minivan and full-size and midsized SUV categories looking for just the right package that suits their current lifestyle and kid-hauling needs, the Saturn Outlook is superior to its domestic and Asian competitors. And it's definitely the best thing that seats at least seven people that GM has ever made. Bring on Buick, GMC, and Chevy!

Edited by regfootball

It's damned nice. I found 2 nitpicks: I think the 2nd row seats are just a tad bit on the low side (but no lower than your typical wagon or even my $h!acular M-Class) and I wish the entertainment system folded up from the center console and not down from the roof as it will obstruct rear vision...BUT you can have both a sunroof and an entertainment system...so whatever.

What's awesome is that he can't find a single thing wrong with it and it's probably considered the "worst" Lambda by most.

223003[/snapback]

The standards will be different for the Enclave. It's going up against the RX, MDX, and maybe a bit of M-class.

This concerns me.

It's damned nice.  I found 2 nitpicks: I think the 2nd row seats are just a tad bit on the low side (but no lower than your typical wagon or even my $h!acular M-Class) and I wish the entertainment system folded up from the center console and not down from the roof as it will obstruct rear vision...BUT you can have both a sunroof and an entertainment system...so whatever.

223008[/snapback]

what is it with GM and low seats all the time?

I am reading mkaresh's review on epinions between the outlook, pacifica, and freestyle.

judging by drastic improvements Honda has made with the last two redesigns....the Pilot will be incredible. BUT...it's price should also see somewhat of an equivalent increase to the Civic and CR-V, so it could move into Acadia territory. Currently, the Pilot bases around 28k.

Saturn does have more gas mileage, which is impressive, especially considering it's Honda we're talking about. It's also a much better looking vehicle, and apparantly, possibly a better driving vehicle too, though I would have to drive one to be fully convinced of it.

One thing that isn't superior in the Outlook compared to the Pilot are the plastics used. They still come up short in some areas. It's not all bad, and the dash and center stack are at least attractive, but, especially in the base model, Outlook fails to live up to Pilot. Considering it's a 27k turck though, what you get is not bad at all. Combine that with the fact that Honda generally is a standard for fit and finish in the industry, so if they didn't live up to the best, they still could be second best.

Fantastic. Great to hear such an enthusiastic review - I was a little worried about the acceleration of the Lambda's, but from this review it seems to be a non-issue.

It seems that the Lambda's long delay might have paid off. Random thought: would be nice if they could engineer a pickup of this platform & stay ahead of the curve...

Yeah, and the Pilot is sure to be superior  :rolleyes:

223590[/snapback]

well, I just saw the new MDX at the mall the other day.

The MDX is not even that stylish in the flesh. Very dull actually. Hardly a chance the Pilot has any more charisma. The MDX interior through the glass looked comfy, but not earth shattering. The new MDX sure does not appear to have a lot of space, in the third row, or for cargo. I don't foresee the Pilot to have much more.

In pictures, the outlook looks far more stylish than the MDX looked in person. I'll pocket the 10-15 grand and live with the GM interior.

Edited by regfootball

The MDX is not even that stylish in the flesh.  Very dull actually.  Hardly a chance the Pilot has any more charisma.  The MDX interior through the glass looked comfy, but not earth shattering.  The new MDX sure does not appear to have a lot of space, in the third row, or for cargo.  I don't foresee the Pilot to have much more.

In pictures, the outlook looks far more stylish than the MDX looked in person.  I'll pocket the 10-15 grand and live with the GM interior.

224205[/snapback]

I agree, the MDX exterior is underwhelming in person, and the Outlook is better looking with better character, although equally conservative. The MDX tries to come off as edgy and robotic but manages to be cold and uninitiated/unmotivated. There is one thing Honda/Acura do incredibly well that GM does not, and that is interior design/execution....in person the MDX had one of the most desirable interiors I saw at the LA auto show, about the only thing I found wrong with it was the pods that hold the gauges, which went too far into the techno theme.

Not that there is anything wrong with the materials chosen for the Outlook...though they were dull in base form, the upper model looked better and is at least comparable to the Toyotas and Fords of the world. The problem is...I don't consider those the leaders in interior quality/materials. Outlook is in danger of being surpassed by the next Pilot in terms of design, in terms of quality the current Pilot already bests it. The Acadia should be able to compete well with the next Pilot though.

I'll have to post impressions of the show later on.

i do not know what is so great about the Pilot. Two of my groomsmen and two of my coworkers have them. So I have ridden in 4 Pilots now; and I always need to keep from falling asleep. They are the most overrated vehicle. Even my buddy says so (his wife wanted the Pilot). It is fair to say they have good assembly quality, and the seats feel nice and precisely firm. But the interior design and plastics are not worthy of deification like others have suggested and what people tell me about the gas mileage is not that great either. Apparently I am missing something. The Mazda CX-7 has a far more interesting and better executed interior than the Pilot (even though it is smaller). The new Tahoe has a superior interior, albeit attached to a body on frame rig.

Edited by regfootball

The MDX is not even that stylish in the flesh.  Very dull actually.  Hardly a chance the Pilot has any more charisma.  The MDX interior through the glass looked comfy, but not earth shattering.  The new MDX sure does not appear to have a lot of space, in the third row, or for cargo.  I don't foresee the Pilot to have much more.

In pictures, the outlook looks far more stylish than the MDX looked in person.  I'll pocket the 10-15 grand and live with the GM interior.

224205[/snapback]

Chas <not a car guy> recoiled when he saw the face of a white new MDX while we were out shopping on Black Friday.

edit: and while he likes the looks and loves the interior of the Enclave, he's not a fan of the look of either the Outlook or Acadia. He'd never drive any of them because they're too big for him.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

he's not a fan of the look of either the Outlook or Acadia. He'd never drive any of them because they're too big for him.

224535[/snapback]

this here is an example of why I think the Edge will do fine even if the Lambdas prosper. Some follks might think the Lambdas are a bit too big, with the third row and longer WB and all.

It sure will be, or my name isn't Orville Redenbacher!    :huh:

223594[/snapback]

Don't be a sore loser...

The new Pilot will be just like the Ridgeline, Civic and CR-V before it... Smoke and mirrors to keep the Honda faithful coming back. Positive press is a given because it's a Honda and the media seems to like to hump Honda emblems.

The lambdas, on the other hand.... THEY will bring us customers.