Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Tiger to Become Spokesman for Other GM Brands?

Tiger to Become Spokesman for Other GM Brands?

Posted Image

Tiger Woods might one day stump for General Motors brands other than Buick. The broader role could be part of an aggressive marketing effort to revive the Buick, Pontiac and GMC brands in 2007.

A new GMC crossover vehicle, the Acadia, is arriving in dealerships. Buick dealers will get a similar vehicle, the Enclave, next year. Pontiac, meanwhile, might receive a new entry-level car similar to the G5, John Larson, GM's general manager of Pontiac-Buick-GMC, said during a recent event here.

The brands' sales are down so far this year (see box), although GM's drive to trim fleet sales accounts for some of the decline.

The new products provide the Buick-Pontiac-GMC channel with opportunities to expand advertising beyond traditional TV and print to grassroots and alternative forms such as drive events and Web advertising, Larson said. That would help GM reach younger buyers, he added.

Autoweek

Woods is not in anyway a draw beyond serious golf fans, IMO, and I don't find him to be especially creditable. He has never been worth the extreme cost. Frankly, that hot chick Merc uses is more believable- just hire a spokesmodel, give him a golf club and save $12M (or is it $20M?).

To expand him to other divisions..... only if it doesn't cost another dollar.

On second thought- just dump him.

I'm sure they must do studies to figure out how effective he's been, and I doubt they'd be thinking about expanding him to more divisions if he wasn't doing a good job.

Tiger is very famous and champion, I think he reaches a lot of people and people associate him with the best.

I guess you're right, but he doesn't work for me & I've never heard anyone 'buzzing' about him WRT their car purchase. My father has golfed for decades and bought a Lucerne this year- Woods had nothing to do with it. I also doubt the veracity of a study that 'measures' a spokesmodel's effectiveness, but if they say it's working, OK.

My wife worked at the US Open in 2003 and got to see Tiger every day. She said that he was a terrible person, throwing fits when he had a bad day and treating everyone around him like servants.

Some spokesperson!

My wife worked at the US Open in 2003 and got to see Tiger every day. She said that he was a terrible person, throwing fits when he had a bad day and treating everyone around him like servants.

Some spokesperson!

231098[/snapback]

sounds like alot of people not just Tiger

NOW you get your Bitch a$$ in the kitchen and make me some Pie!! :lol:

Woods is not in anyway a draw beyond serious golf fans, IMO, and I don't find him to be especially creditable. He has never been worth the extreme cost. Frankly, that hot chick Merc uses is more believable- just hire a spokesmodel, give him a golf club and save $12M (or is it $20M?).

To expand him to other divisions..... only if it doesn't cost another dollar.

On second thought- just dump him.

231042[/snapback]

Worth repeating.

GM should not use a "SPOKESPERSON". The cars should be good enough to sell themselves!!

It's not like Toyota is using Paris Hilton to sell Camrys or Honda is using Lynsey Lohan to pimp Accords.

GM needs to learn that no "SPOKESPERSON" can change a perception issue if the cars on the lot is not worthy. Buick with its terrible minivan, LaCrosse and dull Lucerne won't change anyones mind.

How do GM think they are fooling using Tiger Woods?

GM should not use a "SPOKESPERSON". The cars should be good enough to sell themselves!!

It's not like Toyota is using Paris Hilton to sell Camrys or Honda is using Lynsey Lohan to pimp Accords.

GM needs to learn that no "SPOKESPERSON" can change a perception issue if the cars on the lot is not worthy. Buick with its terrible minivan, LaCrosse and dull Lucerne won't change anyones mind.

How do GM think they are fooling using Tiger Woods?

While I agree tiger does little to promote the brand and will concede that the Terraza minivan is not earth-moving, the Lacrosse and Lucerne are hardly dull by comparison to the Toyota blandry and Honda awhored. The Lacrosse, in CXL and CXS trim, is just as good as either of those cars on any day. I ain't a fan of the fish eyes but they're no worse than the pig snout grill on the Camry. As for the Lucerne, you have really got to be kidding. Its styling is classy and tasteful. Its quieter and drives just as well as my Es300. Oh, did I mention it is outselling the the Avalon(redesigned completely in 05') by a very healthy margin?

Maybe Paris Hilton could do a better job of convincing people to spend an additional $3k-$5k to choose an Avalon over a Lucerne than toyota salesmen are doing. :Toyota:

Edited by Regalguy01

While I agree tiger does little to promote the brand and will conceede that the Terraza minivan is not earth-moving, the Lacrosse and Lucerne are hardly dull by comparison to the Toyota blandry and Honda awhored. The Lacrosse, in CXL and CXS trim, is just as good as either of those cars on any day. I ain't a fan of the fish eyes but they're no worse than the pig snout grill on the Camry. As for the Lucerne, you have really got to be kidding. Its styling is classy and tasteful. Its quieter and drives just as well as my Es300. Oh, did I mention it is outselling the the Avalon(redesigned completely in 05') by a very healthy margin?

Maybe Paris Hilton could do a better job of convincing people to spend an additional $3k-$5k to choose an Avalon over a Lucerne than toyota salesmen are doing. :Toyota:

I agree. To lump the Terraza, Lacrosse and Lucerne together in a single generalized indictment is either pure carelessness or ignorance. Neither of which I'd want to see on a resume and both traits are what really drives people at this point to buy Toyota. Not good.

Personally I'd dump Tiger too. I always thought the concept of him driving a Buick was odd. He's a kid driving what is presumably a mature adult's vehicle. (I didn't say 'old' as I was referring to the demographic of 30+ somethings who would also consider buying Lexus.) Can't you just envision him as a kid who got his hands on mom or dad's Buick Rendezvous and calling all is friends to go for a joy ride?