Inside Info: BMW X6 [updated 1/16]

Variance

Inside Info: BMW X6

German magazine Auto Zeitung has spilled more information on BMW’s upcoming X6 Coupe, a sporty version of the hugely successful X5. Scheduled for release in the beginning of 2008, the X6 will share the same four-door coupe styling made so popular by the CLS, but will do so on the same platform as the X5. Being a “fun SUV,” the X6 will come with a more driver-oriented interior and range of powerful engines. The relationship between the X5 and X6 will be the same as the 5 and 6-series – more sporting and upscale. BMW’s goal is to target the Porsche Cayenne by having a vehicle that is both more fun to drive and cheaper to boot.

The X6 will get engines from the cream of the crop, including the following already found in BMW’s other offerings:

Twin-turbo 3.0L diesel with 286hp

Twin-turbo 3.0L petrol with 300hp

4.8L petrol V8 with 367hp

Motor Authority

Well this is confusing. Which is it; an SUV or a sedan or a coupe?

Oh wait, I get it; because they say so, it's all three. How much longer before manufacturers call vehicles with sunroofs "convertibles"?? If this dime-store magic trick is attracting even 1 new customer, I'll eat the lug nuts off my COE.

Seems an utter frivolity in the lineup- yet another SUV??? Shouldn't bmw focus on their problem areas first??

i like how BMW only advertises horsepower... because the torque numbers are laughable compared to cars with similar horsepower numbers... like the M3... 333 horsepower... but only 240 ft/lbs... its a disaster

but anyway... i dont like BMWs to begin with... stale styling, horrifying reliability and low torque per horsepower ratios make them a huge turn-off brand for me... not to mention how obscenely overpriced most of their stuff is... hmm... 55k for an M3... or 33K for the GTO thats faster than it... real hard choice...

Whatever.

People will buy it just because it's a BMW, and that's sad.

A BMW version of a cross between the R-Class and CLS is sure to be eye-gougingly ugly and it will undoubtedly hold no practicality at all. Not to mention horridly dodgy electronics.

Disgusting.

BMW needs to do a restructuring of their own and visit their heritage and some stylists with an attractive point of view.

i like how BMW only advertises horsepower... because the torque numbers are laughable compared to cars with similar horsepower numbers... like the M3... 333 horsepower... but only 240 ft/lbs... its a disaster

but anyway... i dont like BMWs to begin with... stale styling, horrifying reliability and low torque per horsepower ratios make them a huge turn-off brand for me... not to mention how obscenely overpriced most of their stuff is... hmm... 55k for an M3... or 33K for the GTO thats faster than it... real hard choice...

......sounding like comments coming from someone that has NO experience driving any BMW.......

I can't argue on the styling, as that's subjective.......but "horrifying reliability" has no basis in fact......and "low torque per horsepower ratios" sounds like you are basing your opinions strictly on numbers....

There's absolutely nothing "low-torque" about BMW's wonderful inline-6......and my own experience with the 4.4L V8 proves the same......

As far as the M3 versus GTO comparison......all the tests I've seen show BOTH cars in the high-4sec range for 0-60.....so how is the GTO faster? And I think any rational person could argue some of the price difference going to engineering and quality.......a GTO has sad hopes of keeping up with an M3 on a racetrack or road course.....

• 3 weeks later...

......sounding like comments coming from someone that has NO experience driving any BMW.......

I can't argue on the styling, as that's subjective.......but "horrifying reliability" has no basis in fact......and "low torque per horsepower ratios" sounds like you are basing your opinions strictly on numbers....

There's absolutely nothing "low-torque" about BMW's wonderful inline-6......and my own experience with the 4.4L V8 proves the same......

As far as the M3 versus GTO comparison......all the tests I've seen show BOTH cars in the high-4sec range for 0-60.....so how is the GTO faster? And I think any rational person could argue some of the price difference going to engineering and quality.......a GTO has sad hopes of keeping up with an M3 on a racetrack or road course.....

While I pretty much agree with you, on the GTO/M3 argument, stock for stock, a GTO, while being fairly even with an M3 down low, will rip the M3 a new asshole from a roll...That's about it though until you start getting into mods. The GTO is better competition for the 5 series anyway (in my opinion)...namely the e39 M5.

BMW engines are great though...yes, the S54 doesn't have much torque compared to horsepower, but that isn't the same throughout the rest of BMW's engine lineup (and if you've ever driven a car with an S54, or any M engine for that matter, it would change your mind)...Their I6 engines are great and are very solid, reliable engines. Just for an example with the hp/torque argument, the M62tu engine (4.4 V8) made an underrated 282hp and 324 lb-ft.

Well this is confusing. Which is it; an SUV or a sedan or a coupe?

Oh wait, I get it; because they say so, it's all three. How much longer before manufacturers call vehicles with sunroofs "convertibles"??

People will buy it just because it's a BMW, and that's sad.

Really though....to both.

If they go in the Range Rover Sport direction, I won't be too angry, however....