Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

How much are Buick Regal T-Types worth?

There is an 86 or 87 T-Type Regal sitting outside of my work. It has been there for 3 weeks or so. I don't know what is going on with it but I keep on telling the service manager not to junk it. It is quite nice but needs a little TLC. It is a T-Type because it is engraved into the dash. It also has the hood bulge and the Grand National rims. How much are these worth now when restored and would they be worth restoring? HERE ARE THE PICTURES FINALLY. Sorry about the focus. I was rushing so I wouldn't be late to work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by american_revolution_2005

Guest YellowJacket894

I'm not sure of the worth of the car, but I'm pretty sure that the T-Type had the same turbocharged 3.8 liter engine of the Grand National and GNX (post-1985). Also, it could be possible that that particular T-Type could be one of the rare "Special T" models, which had the Grand National exterior and T-Type interior.

I'd buy it.

Those are one of my favorite choices for sleeper collectible. IMO, they are worth far more than the market indicates as they are a GN in sheep's clothing. They got the GN drivetrain and a choice of color and other options the GN lacked while posessing the same legendary performance. They are also much more rare than the currently over-valued GN. If you find a decent one at a good price, buy it!

I would think they would go for something around 7k to 10k depending on the condition its in. The T-Types were actually a hair faster than the GN's because it had less weight. I would LOVE to own one! Prolly my dream car (GN/T-types - 86/87s)

That is an unfortunate color, one that I don't think is original. While the car is pretty clean, the miles are suspect, it has been modded in unknown ways and has an intercooler which was only available in '87 ,I think. I'd keep looking.

that would be an awesome car to have, but if it's in pretty good condition i bet they could ask about 7k straight faced, GNs sell on ebay regularly close to 15K if not more.

i bet it'd be easy to make a GN clone, if you wanted to.

i think off the top of my head the late t-types had about 220hp and more than 300 ft lbs

GNX's had close to 260hp and 350 ftlbs i think

i'd love to get one, but don't have the space to keep it covered and nice

W...wait? Aren't those the turbo Buick's?! The ones kinda like 'loki's' signature?

thanks lol yeah it's a t-type

Would the Kelley Blue Book have prices listed?

Yes, if it's a '87. Go to their website and select used car values. Select a year/make/model, click go, then choose the type of value you want. Option it out as is, give them a ZIP code, and it'll give you a US$ suggested value. Hope that helps.

Unlike the Cavalier, which will never be a diamond in any way, this car could well be a diamond in the rough just needing some TLC. The book value may mean little in this case. I'd say if the car is mechanically sound, and the price is below 5k, buy it. A paint job and some new wheels will do it wonders.

More info. is required however.

GNX was intercooled, among other mods, but wasn't rated any higher than the GN's 245 HP (wink-wink).

Actual output was 345 HP.

just curious if this was a dyno'ed number or the best estimate from the time?

Guest YellowJacket894

My gut tells me that chances that this could be a Special T edition model are very good. Don't quote me on that though, as I haven't seen a T-Type Special T in person.

I'd buy it. I love the GNX and T-Type Regals.

Edited by YellowJacket894

The car is an '86 or older judging by the mirrors. I have my doubts that it is even a T-type as it looks a bit off to me. Just to add to the confusion, there was also a Turbo regal that was not a T-Type as well as a T-Type that was not a turbo.

Be careful, it is tough to tell from the pictures but I have my doubts about this car.

Look closely at the position of the mirrors, on most,if not all G-bodies in '87 the mirrors were moved from the position this has them in to the corner of the "A" pillar and the door's leading edge with the body of the mirror over the glass of the window. Older G-bodies had the mirrors where the car you're looking at has them. I could be wrong about the Regals, but I don't think so.

Another difference is that only the '87s were intercooled.

Looks like a good ride. I'd go for it, at least you could inquire about it being there for so long. It not normal for someone to just up and leave a car at a shop unless either they can't pay for the repair at the time, or they just don't want it anymore. If its mechincally sound, I'd more than buy it simply becuase it would be reliable even if it LOOKED bad. Would more than definitely make a great sleeper if it were turboed.

If it's an '87 then it's worth $1000 wrapped around a telephoone pole so long as the motor turns...

I'd say looking at the cosmetic condition of the car it MIGHT be worth $5000 if the milage is

exceptionally low (like < 30,000) . The T-Type is more of a sleeper but it's also FASTER than the

GN since it has a few aluminum bits that are cast iron on the GN.

Now a GNX, of which they made 547... that's worth its weight in Lobster.

BTW: there's tons of info out there to be read on the GN/T-type Web Ring.

Here's just the first site to pop up for me google:

http://www.gnttype.org/

I dunno Dave, I have some doubts as well. The chrome trim is suspicious. From some searching, it looks like some T-types had much of the chrome blacked out except for the bumpers and the borders of the grille, while other T-types looked just like base Regals. This one has some black-out trim and some chrome trim, which means one of two things: either this car is a base Regal that is halfway through being converted to a Grand National, or it is a T-type/GN that was in an accident and the previous owner replaced the trim with base Regal trim. You might want to get the VIN on this car along with the RPO information, which on the G-bodies I think is located on a sticker on the inside of the trunk. If the RPO codes match up to ones belonging to a T-type or GN, then go for it and put the correct trim on it. Otherwise, it's a base Regal and possibly a rolling Pandora's box.

This GNX (documented no. 302) is driven DAILY in the summer time.

My friend Sean, the one wiht the "Hum-Burban" rat-rod-truck lives

across the street from a BMW dealership overflow lot, SCCA race

car (Porsche) tuning shop and a restoration shop taht specializes in

1960s-70s Americna muscle. The owner of that last place owns this

GNX and when he's not dropping 440s in 1962 Valiants & restoring

1965 Impalas he's screwing around with T-Types & GNs... this GNX

is very stock however, even though it's MINT it has 65,000 or so

miles on the clock and it gets treated like some yuppies daily driver

5-series BMW... not beat on but not pampered much either.

IIRC the rims & prom are the only non-stock parts. :)

Posted Image

NOW THAT IS A PANHARD BAR!!!

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

I dunno Dave, I have some doubts as well. The chrome trim is suspicious. From some searching, it looks like some T-types had much of the chrome blacked out except for the bumpers and the borders of the grille, while other T-types looked just like base Regals. This one has some black-out trim and some chrome trim, which means one of two things: either this car is a base Regal that is halfway through being converted to a Grand National, or it is a T-type/GN that was in an accident and the previous owner replaced the trim with base Regal trim. You might want to get the VIN on this car along with the RPO information, which on the G-bodies I think is located on a sticker on the inside of the trunk. If the RPO codes match up to ones belonging to a T-type or GN, then go for it and put the correct trim on it. Otherwise, it's a base Regal and possibly a rolling Pandora's box.

Later in the model years......you could order the "T" Package (wheels, tires, suspension, sport steering wheel) and the "Turbo" package (powertrain) separately on ANY Regal model......I was at a car show in Irvine a few weeks ago, and two guys had two Regal Turbos there.....both "Q" ships one was light blue, and the other was white. They were both "Limited" models with the bench seats, but were equipped with all the good bits.

They had the stock sport wheel, and the stock I/P that had that goofy bar-graph tachometer and boost gauge in the lower right...

So....it's possible to have one that doesn't look like an "authentic" T-Type.....but still does have all the good chassis and powertrain bits.

Later in the model years......you could order the "T" Package (wheels, tires, suspension, sport steering wheel) and the "Turbo" package (powertrain) separately on ANY Regal model......I was at a car show in Irvine a few weeks ago, and two guys had two Regal Turbos there.....both "Q" ships one was light blue, and the other was white. They were both "Limited" models with the bench seats, but were equipped with all the good bits.

They had the stock sport wheel, and the stock I/P that had that goofy bar-graph tachometer and boost gauge in the lower right...

So....it's possible to have one that doesn't look like an "authentic" T-Type.....but still does have all the good chassis and powertrain bits.

Just because it had the turbo didn't make it a T-Type and the reverse is also true. Very confusing.

T-Type was a trim option and actually had nothing to do with the drivetrain: a T-Type could be ordered with a NA 305 V8, for example.

My favorite was a T-Type Turbo in that Silver Grey Metallic color they used in '87. I've come close to buying one more than once.

To directly address the original question of value, as I've said before these things are priced all over the place. However, The only ones I ever considered seriously making an offer on were all priced within a few thousand of 10K up or down. These were very clean, low mileage examples.

Just because it had the turbo didn't make it a T-Type and the reverse is also true. Very confusing.

T-Type was a trim option and actually had nothing to do with the drivetrain: a T-Type could be ordered with a NA 305 V8, for example.

My favorite was a T-Type Turbo in that Silver Grey Metallic color they used in '87. I've come close to buying one more than once.

To directly address the original question of value, as I've said before these things are priced all over the place. However, The only ones I ever considered seriously making an offer on were all priced within a few thousand of 10K up or down. These were very clean, low mileage examples.

But you are confusing the trim level "T-Type" with the "T" option package. In the later years (or maybe only '87) the "T-Type" as a trim level went away......replaced with option packages.....the "T" package, the "Turbo" package, etc.....