Mustang V6 Review

avro206

post-888-1168972605_thumb.jpg

post-888-1168972710_thumb.jpg

I just came back from holidays in Hawaii. While there I had 3 rentals cars, this one being a V6 Mustang convertible. Over the years I have had my lisence (16.5 years), I have driven and rented many cars. I have never been so disapointed with any car I was with this piece of garbage!

Hey GM! You have a real low target to aim for--a V6 Camaro can easily be better then this car.

Closing my eyes I felt I was driving a 1980 Mustang.

The steering was vauge and lifeless, the brakes spongy, the handling was a joke!! What other cars come with 65 series tires??? Sure some cars have 185/65 but 225/65??? Thats from the 80's!!

Powertrian:

It sounds like a Deer tractor---as asmatic one at that. From start up to idle to acclearion this engine sounds very bad.

Exhaust sound is plain nasty. on the plus side, it does provide pretty decent pick up and strong midrange but did not spin the tires off the line (yes the traction control was off)

Ford never should have put this horrible engine in the Mustang. I would accept a slightly slower car if if the egine had an ounce of refinement.

NOTE TO FORD: Drop the 3.5L DOHC in ASAP.

The 5 speed auto was prety good. It kept the engine in its powerband.

Interior: Well retro is not my stlye--so in my eyes, it was...well...an eyesore. Guages are pretty low and not the easist to read at a fast glance. The rest oif the interior seemed very cheap to me. The shifter loooks and feels like a toy--what a joke. Trunk space was good and top operation was fast and easy to operate.

I know this is a V6 model--but a decent engine and some handling ability should be mandatory. The whole car felt half baked. I would never recomennd that anyone buy this car. In the future I will rent a GT---I think I could like that.

PROS: trunk space was good. With some nice rims and tires they look okay. Coupe looks better IMO.

Good acceleration

Cons: everyting else sucked

Edited by avro206

• 5 months later...

Keep in mind you were driving a rental. I know that doesn't account for poor interior design or tire size, but maybe somewhat for the brakes and handling. I wouldn't buy the V6 model, but I liked the GTs that I drove. I like the retro look though, so that's partially just opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of the Mustang, but for Ford's sake I wish they'd update the damn suspension and, like you said, give it the 3.5L V6 instead of the V6 they have in it right now. I agree with Northie in saying that if GM dumbs down the Camaro to match the Mustang like this, they'll have some upset customers.

Then again, look at the '08 Malibu versus the competition and you can see that for the same price, it looks like you get a lot more refinement with the Malibu. We'll have to check out that comparison more once the time comes though.

• 2 months later...

Agreed. I'll be renting a car for two weeks at the end of the month and I'm going to avoid the archetypical secretary and dental assistant Mustang if at all possible. If all goes well I'll have a Malibu or an Impala or even a Cobalt. Hell, compared to a Mustang, an Aveo would be pleasant.

• 1 month later...

I like the retro interior so that is really just preference. Many of todays genric blah gray, tan and black interiors are so same ol same ol that this is a refreshing change. I do agree that the 4.0 liter is unrefined and tractorish sounding which is weird because the rental 2007 Explorer with this same drivetrain combo and 5 speed automatic was much more refined. And I do see what some of you meant about this car feeling like an 80's or 90's Mustang. The 3.5 Duratec, better brakes and a sport suspension option would go a long way in making this a more desirable choice. And I love the exterior styling even 3 model years later.

i think the mustang is slated to receive either a 3.7 or 4.0 litre version of the new duratec in the future. it sure needs it.

keep in mind the convertible likely had mushy suspension to soak up bumps better than the coupe. the cvt doesn't have the ability to take as much road punishment as the coupe so they sometimes set it up softer.

When I'm in Hawaii, the last thing I think about are cars. My fancy turns towards other things! :smilewide:

Oh an Hawaiian Airlines Rocks! We took it to Australia the last time my wife and I both went. :yes:

Well I also rented a Corvette convertible.....I can concentrate on 2 things at a time! (Hawaii and cars) I was constantly on the look out for GTOs (didn;t get them in Canada)

Well, Avro, I drove a 1980 Mustang when they were new (I was a car jockey at a major hotel in Toronto in 1981) and I just came back from California a couple weeks ago where I rented a new Mustang convertible, and all I can say is you should be working for Consumers Reports. Your writing is about as factual and unbiased.post-436-1193917813_thumb.jpg

I would concede that the interior materials are this vehicle's weak point. The cloth interior won't wear well, IMO. The handling was fine. I blasted along Mulholland Dr., and flew along hwy 15 to Vegas at 85 mph and found the cabin to be quiet and wind-noise free. If you want to use 1980's analogies, a 1985 Rabbit convertible I had some experience with 20 years ago had so much cowl shake that the front wheels would actually lift off the ground during severe cornering.

Frankly, if I was in the market for a convertible I would consider this vehicle. The power was good. Handling was exemplary for a convertible. For $30k, Ford has done a good job with this vehicle. I'd rather pay that for this then a Mazda or Solstice. I hated giving this vehicle up after 4 days and 1,000 miles.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings