2008 SATURN ASTRA PREVIEW

here

Its resurgent Saturn division is currently preparing to launch the all-new Astra, a car that's more-or-less identical to the European Opel Astra in every significant way...or so we hope. Rather than importing the car from Europe--which it will do at launch, to get the car more quickly--GM will build the car Stateside (in Tennessee, we understand) and massage some of the more expensive content out to make it a more cost-effective proposition for the U.S. market. However, we're pretty sure that GM and Saturn will have learned from Ford's experience with the Focus, so what arrives on Saturn forecourts in the fall of 2007 will be much closer to its European sibling that the over-diluted Focus was back in 2000.

Posted Image

only hitch, 4 speed auto...HMMMMMMMMM

Edited by regfootball

What a great looking little car for an econobox. :)

Just like a lot of people in the USA I have been saying

that Opels should be the basis of GMs compact FWD

cars in te USA. My rental car back in Slovakia/Austria

back in 2001 proved this to me. Great vehicle for a

little 4 door hatchback 1.6 liter.

I do not agree with their comment about an Astra RL with the supercharged version of the 2.0 ecotec. With the Cobalt ditching the very engine in 2008 and to make the economic sense for the investment GM made in the 2.0 DI turbo, I can only see that coming in the RL.

here

Posted Image

only hitch, 4 speed auto...HMMMMMMMMM

Most Europeans don't buy automatics at all. More models are available with five or six-speed automated manuals (Easytronic), and the six-speeds will increase, while there is one six-speed auto paired with a mid-range diesel. As you'll see with the Malibu, GM's new six-speed autos are still working their way down to cars with engines this small.

I genuinely think, GM should introduce a manumatic along with the european spec engines and a diesel in the Astra. It will not only be a cat among the pegions, but also will prevent from being "also-ran". VW Rabbit offers manumatic, and given how Saturn is perceiving itself as a Euro Brand, it is very justifiable to not to dilute it thinking "Americans will not like/buy this crap". That is the mentality which hurt small cars from big three in the past.

The 3-door is one of if not the best looking 3-door hatchbacks on the market.It looks to be quite a good car for Saturn, and with any luck the Saturn version won't change much besides the badge and probably the stereo unit. The 5-door is a good idea, but hopefully the sedan will make its way here soon. My only concern is the RL. As They've mentioned, the Astra OPC is a power monster, but it's platform isn't can't handle it. The Delta platforms are technically more sophisticated aren;'t they? What's the Astra's platform called?

How come they gave a preview yet they had the Euro-spec pictures and no solid info? This comes to Chicago, correct? Sounds awesome, sounds pointless for a FWD Pontiac now, since Chevy can easily cover the coupe/sedan segment, though a upscale compact sedan and wagon would be nice for Buick, if not to rival VW Jetta and Acura TSX.

Because they don't know anything yet. As for the powertrain info—GM doesn't have a non-turbo 2.0 L Ecotec aside from the very old and outdated cast-iron 120 hp model GM Holden still builds a very few of (for the Optra/Forenza for example), and even Holden specifies the newer, previous-gen European 1.8 L (123 hp) in their version of the Optra. The only Family II engines offered in the Astra are the old Saab cast-iron turbos, in 168 hp (to be replaced by a 1.6 L Family 1 Turbo with 178 hp), 197 hp and 237 hp, and the direct-injection 2.2 L with 148 hp (the same as the certified port-injection G5 and Cobalt, which gained 3 hp). The 2.2DI and all turbo engines come standard with 6-speed manuals. A 4-speed auto is only offered with the new and old 1.8 L engines, and the 2.2DI, but six-speed autos are in development (not a priority for GM Europe).

The only thing I'm worried about is what Audi was worried about wit the A4, that America just isn't into hatchbacks as much as the Europeans, but at the same time the Golf did make a great success and the Rabbit seems to be doing fine, I see many Focus ZX3 and the Mini is a hatchback you can say, see alot of those here in NY.

The only thing I'm worried about is what Audi was worried about wit the A4, that America just isn't into hatchbacks as much as the Europeans, but at the same time the Golf did make a great success and the Rabbit seems to be doing fine, I see many Focus ZX3 and the Mini is a hatchback you can say, see alot of those here in NY.

It is the perception and perhaps an excuse of the car makers to not bring genuine hatches in the states. :rolleyes:

http://www.opel.de/shop/cars/astra/config/....act?reset=true

Casablanca White, Royal Blue

Starsilver, Moonland grey, Light silver, Metro

Arden Blue, Pannacotta, Saphir Black, Ultra Blu, Petrol green

Power red

2 15", 6 16", 3 17", 3 18" and one 19" wheel style.

Base price is around $US 20,890 in Germany, a GTC Cosmo (standard Panorama windhsield) with 1.6 Turbo (only 6-speed manual), optional 18" Star-design alloy wheels, in Power Red (as pictured) is about $US 33,770. Recaro leather seats brings that to $35,770. Comfort Pack (Hill Start Assist, QuickHeat, Tire-pressure monitoring), Performance pack (Active Forward Lighting, IDS Plus suspension, Sport Mode), and DVD Navigation bring that to $US40,140. The OPC Spolier kit brings that to $41,950.

That's a great looking car but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's the up-level model. How about middle range?

All you need is the Power Red paint and Star-design Alloys, both available on the midrange GTC Edition for an extra $US2170, for a total of $27,640 (1.6 TwinPort [103 hp, 34-37 mpg combined, Euro cycle], 5-speed manual). That extra $2170 is mostly for the alloys, which are not only very expensive but require the IDS Sport option (5-lug hub, electro-hydraulic steering, IDS Sport Mode switch). I'd ditch the Alloys and stick with the nice 16" steel wheels, and go for the Xenons with AFL instead. If you really want, you can get the Panorama windshield on the GTC Edition as well, but that's expensive too.