Work...

balthazar

Well... it is good, I suppose, to learn where one's breaking point is.

After tomorrow, I will have worked 30 of 31 days in January, only taking my B-day off {panicing; ocnblu scans his master list}. Some days were as light as 5 hrs, some as heavy as 11.

Apparently, 29 days is about it, as I saw a few instances of failed processing & motor skills today, which is not good when you're a neurologic surgeon.

Just kidding: I'm a contractor and have been working on interior renovation of a residential home. It's actually been enjoyable (nothing like being your own boss), tho the creeping brain fog of the past couple of days is a bit offsetting. One big plus: no pesky checks to take to the bank ;)

Anyway- if I can continue with this level of income for the rest of the year, I can recind my mantra of 'buying brand new vehicles is a collosal waste of money' and get my wife a new car. Tho it fits us well & has been dead reliable as expected, it's time for her '03 GP to move on. I need to get up to speed on the CUV segment...

The long days I definately do. Sometimes, to get some time off later that week I'll work almost 12 hours. However, I never go too much over the 37 and 1/2 hour work week. Longest I've done is about 52 hours a week. Only once last year did I work on any weekend day. Flex hours rock. With programming, it almost never matters what time of day you get something done, just that it's done by a certain day.

hehe, 63 hour week last week, 57 hours during the week and 6 on saturday. I gotta be careful about bumping myself up a tax bracket. Stupid taxes, maybe I shoul;d start an S chapter corperation like my boss and pay myself in dividends. Thatr would be cool.

I gotta be careful about bumping myself up a tax bracket. Stupid taxes,

:banghead: I screwed my self last year from that jumping a tax bracket.

yeah i broke my record i think in a hourly paid job. I think i had 126 hour week. 18 hour days 6 hours off 7days straight. It was pretty cool working at like 3 am in a shop when your all by your self. but i made about $4400 before taxes and deductions that week.

I think thats against the law isn't it?

As long as you enjoy your work, keep doing it!

Edited by capriceman

My hours are everywhere...usually trying to kill me.

It's been real quiet the last few weeks, so they cut me back quite a bit.

Kinda feels like a vacation....

I can't complain though..I had a lot of health issues last year...so it is giving me time to heal..

Besides the asthma, I'm feeling much better... :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Well, here it is, about 1.5 years later. Still contractin', wife's still driving the '03 GP (87K?), I'm still driving a Silverado 2500HD. Have not advertised for work yet since going into this line of work in Nov of '06, currently have 6 jobs going on at once, with 2 on the front burner. Working 6 days a week every week, sometimes 7. Add to that I've been helping my wife's cousin clean out his house (no pay there, but I've been scoring a truckload of tools). There's 4 of us; me, my 2 hands and my radio. I really need a clone. Or a Guat.

One good, lucrative contract and perhaps not only could I lay off on the hours, but actually work on the Buick some. Lately I've been feeling as if there's some aspect of a moral wrongdoing by not finishing this car. Look; it's almost done! :rolleyes: :

59_2-7-6-2.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Lately I've been feeling as if there's some aspect of a moral wrongdoing by not finishing this car. Look; it's almost done! :rolleyes: :

59_2-7-6-2.jpg

No worries. Don't rush perfection because it will end up being less. Take care of business first. One would think that with the schedule you keep and the money you're making doing so, you may have enough saved at some point to retire a few years early, and end up having MORE goof-off time in the long run.

>>"One would think that with the schedule you keep and the money you're making doing so, you may have enough saved at some point to retire a few years early, and end up having MORE goof-off time in the long run. "<<

Well, that's a cheery wish, but (and I'm not against this neccessarily) I intend to work until I die.

I can't sit around for long- I get antsy.

Was on a job a few years ago- the electrician had his father working with him, ran around, full of energy, easily doing as much as anyone else there. 81 yrs old. That'll be me.

No, the more hopeful think is: I may be able to save enough to pay someone else to finish it. It's pretty straighforward from this point on.

Well, here it is, about 1.5 years later. Still contractin', wife's still driving the '03 GP (87K?), I'm still driving a Silverado 2500HD. Have not advertised for work yet since going into this line of work in Nov of '06, currently have 6 jobs going on at once, with 2 on the front burner. Working 6 days a week every week, sometimes 7. Add to that I've been helping my wife's cousin clean out his house (no pay there, but I've been scoring a truckload of tools). There's 4 of us; me, my 2 hands and my radio.

I'd kill for that kind of freedom...

I can't wait for the Buick to be done. Thanks to you and Sly I'm now on the quest to buy a B-59... Some day.