Definite: There will be a new Acura CL

matt41

The brother-in-law of an uncle of a friend of my second cousin once-removed said that he knew a guy who knows someone who works at Nissan who said there's a definate 48% chance that Nissan is looking into adding more models for Infiniti that currently aren't models. Stop the presses!

Sorry dude. We had to make fun of that post. Without any proof, how can we really believe it? The idea of a CL sounds cool but really, we need more then the word of someone you know.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Maybe for ONCE Honda will stop being lame and make a true pilllarless hardtop.

Someone at that company at least had an apppreciation for pillarless doors, or

so you would think by observing past product.

All the years I worked at GM dealers I never got one concrete idea of WTF was

coming down the pipe unless it was already in a C&D or MT issue.

This is a very possible rumor. Although I doubt the person knows anything and is probably just guessing like I am.

The new Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept unveiled recently is front engined, AWD, and not MR like the last NSX. If it came to production (which it's supposed to), it may very well be called the CL rather than the NSX, do to this. Honda has been getting a lot of flack for ditching the mid-engined layout on this new super car concept, mainly because people don't want the next NSX to be heavy, front engined, and AWD. Honda does listen to people on forums like www.vtec.net (if you watch any of the interview video's over at www.vtec.net, you'll see), and pretty much everyone on their likes the new concept, as a CL, and not an NSX.

The problem that Honda has to deal with is, making a completely new chassis (like they did with the original NSX) is expensive, specially if it can't be shared with anything. If they make a new FR chassis (like the AASCC), they can share it between the new super car/GT car (CL), the new RL, new TL, etc.

This is assuming Honda will be making their new Acura chassis' RWD biased. I think they may go that route with the higher cars like the RL and TL, and keep a transversely mounted engine with SH-AWD chassis for the cars like the TSX and RDX.

What I hope happens is that the AASCC will be a GT style car, named the CL, like an Aston Martin or M6, and then Honda comes out with a true NSX successor later, which will be mid-engined, light weight, and more exotic (rare).

Too bad Honda still doesn't understand the concept of RWD.

They do understand it, very well. They also understand the concept that FWD is better for mainstream cars. Cheaper to build, more interior space, less drivetrain weight. The TL and TSX have been nothing but a complete sales success, even with loads of RWD competition from Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Cadillac, etc etc.

Edited by siegen

They do understand it, very well. They also understand the concept that FWD is better for mainstream cars. Cheaper to build, more interior space, less drivetrain weight. The TL and TSX have been nothing but a complete sales success, even with loads of RWD competition from Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Cadillac, etc etc.

Well, at least we agree on ONE thing.... FWD is cheaper, end of story.

If a BOF car with RWD was the cheapest way to build a car Honda

would make a 3/4 size Crown Victoria with a balsa wood frame &

paper-mache driveshaft for the sake of fuel economy.

Still, as much as I hate cheap cars with thin sheetmetal, boring

styling and comuter-car-oriented mechanicals if Honda made

a RWD Accord/Civic for $18,000 that did NOT looks as fugly

as most of the current product, (the TSX is pretty good looking)

then I'd have a lot les things to despise Honda for.

They will not though. They're too busy enginnering the shared

chassis of their FWD MINIVAN & "PICKUP".

If a BOF car with RWD was the cheapest way to build a car Honda

would make a 3/4 size Crown Victoria with a balsa wood frame &

paper-mache driveshaft for the sake of fuel economy.

What makes you think that? Last time I checked, Honda made some of the most expensive economy cars. If Honda was concerned only with cost, why would they be incorporating their new ACE body structure into all of their new vehicles? It's more expensive to build and heavier, and its only advantage is improved safety in collisions.

Honda is all about cheap, easy to make cars, it's their marketing dept. that

work overtime. Otherwise why the hell would they base a pickup truck on

a damn minivan, go to McPherson Struts on Civics after years of preaching

double whishbones and all the other hypocritical B.S. that HondAcura gets

away with. Racing in Formula 1 is nice but try making a PRODUCTION car

that does not suck for a change. do you really think a TRUE enthusiast will

buy a FWD Sedan like the "European-Accord" TSX over a car like the

Cadillac CTS, BMW 3 series or even the Lexus IS300?

I'll just stop here because I do not need to remind anyone how I hate FWD.

FWD is for economy cars, esp. if the motor is mounted sideways

(transversely) like a sewing machine. :AH-HA_wink:

Hey siegen, what role did the CL play in the lineup? Was it a particularly sporty car or was it more of a cruiser? If it was the latter I don't know if it'd go with the new performance car. Depending on the dimensions I would think RSX would be a better name. Sure it was based on the Civic but it was supposed to be a sporty model right?

Edited by Dodgefan

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy whose cousin knows a guy who said Ford is going to bring back the Fairmont. That makes it definate, right?

The CL was more of a cruiser, more MB CLK than BMW 330ci, or more Monte Carlo than Corvette, if you will. I did get to drive a Type-S, and it handled very well for being a cheap, evil FWDer. They seem to be a pretty good deal used, too. I saw a Type-S with about 60k miles (I cannot remember the year right now) going for $14k which seems like a great deal.

Honda is all about cheap, easy to make cars

As is GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, and every other manufacturer save for some Italian and German ones.

it's their marketing dept. that work overtime.

Honda has horrible marketing, what are you thinking?