Project Camino!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately I find myself wanting this car. It gives me a Cadillac and Saab in one package, plus it's a wagon and it comes with 1.9 liter diesel engine. I know it's not your thing, but it's a win/win for me. I also want it in black.

cadillac_bls-wagon158.jpg

I'd rather have the CTS wagon...because if I want a Saab-based wagon I'll buy a Saab. :P

Camino you project is really coming along! Can't wait to see it finished.

For the last few days I have spent an insane number of hours trying to get the alignment of all the panels right. It's not perfect yet, but I decided that I needed a break from that frustrating task.

So, I finished the detailing of the front bumper parts ( rub strips, bumperettes, turn signal lamps, and license plate holder) and installed them on the re-chromed bumper I found on Ebay a while back.

I had to see what it looked like on the car, so I installed it temporarily.

Pics:

1001023jr2.jpg

1001022ll0.jpg

1001024pw4.jpg

The front plate is as old as the car (or close to it). I'm not sure, but I think that I had it before I even had a car. When I cleaned it up tonight, I saw that the price sticker was still on it - I paid $2.99 for it way back when. I know that I had it on my first El Camino for a short time about 1980.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit behind in updating this as the wagon has been driveable for a few weeks now. For the moment it is "finished". The paint, A/C, and so on will have to wait for funds to become available. But , the car is on the road, inspected, registered, and insured. The time between now and when it gets painted will serve as my "shakedown" of everything I have already done. I'm pretty happy with the results. The weather is pretty nice today (for a change) so I put it outside for some decent pics, and will be driving it to Thanksgiving dinner.

Pics:

1001109cp7.jpg

1001112au2.jpg

1001110sw3.jpg

1001111da4.jpg

1001113cs5.jpg

GM has pretty much been the king of nice, midsized cars. I remember when cars like that used to rule the road. Much nicer than the jellybean cars of today.

Nice work Camino!

Chris

66, you are right. I think it was when the excellent RWD G-bodies were left to stagnate and the jarringly insufficient FWD A-bodies took their place that GM "lost it" with regards to midsize cars. It was around that time the Japanese started to display a talent, through hard work, for building midsize cars that people wanted. In 2008, we finally once again have a top notch Malibu (hindered only by a lack of bodystyles) that, despite excellent press and multiple awards for quality, cannot match the ugly but nicely made Accord and the all-around crappy Camry for sales. A travesty, imo. Sorry to hijack.

• 4 weeks later...

Camino, I thought of you earlier today, when I saw this:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/971927261.html

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I can't remember who I was back then" ... Tim McGraw ... 'Red Ragtop'

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry I missed your post Cort, the listing expired before I got to see it.

Was it a wagon like mine?

*nods*

Yes, indeed. EXACTLY like yours ... silver with red interior. I thought it was yours when I first saw it ;). he he

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'll take a Chevrolet just any day" ... John Conlee ... 'Common Man'

• 9 months later...

Funny...that is EXACTLY what I thought the fair market current value should be!

Damn...really do wish this year had been a little bit better to me financially. I've worked about 30 hours a week all year.

Had I been working regularly...methinks the wagon would have Ohio plates on it...things are getting better though.

Chris

• 1 year later...

Did you ever solve your center cap issue? I noticed while reading my C&D magazine that Tire Rack is carrying Enkei Classic's...wondered if those might be the wheels on your wagon. If so, may be able to order new center caps. Link

Nope, never did.

Thanks for the link (it sure looks like those are the wheels I have). I'm still hoping to find some Chevy center caps that fit. I have a feeling that late 70s Vette caps might work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, the exhaust that came with the wagon is finally starting to go. One of the mufflers is bad and it will take the tailpipe with it. Everything else is still solid, so I'm debating about what to do. Meineke want $250 (estimate) for a cheapo muffler and custom-bent tailpipe.

Eventually, I want to replace the old headers and duals that came with the car with ceramic headers and a full stainless exhaust.

I wonder if Ocn's buddies in Lancaster would do just a pair of mufflers and tailpipes in stainless for me - with the rest to follow later.

• 2 years later...