Project Camino!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MINI UPDATE:

Other concerns have stalled the project a bit lately - life got in the way again. But, I've had a few pics that have been hanging out in the camera for too long so I decided to post them now.

Another issue has been my search for a few key parts that I wanted/needed to obtain before I could go much farther. A while back I won a vintage Corvette/Camaro LT-1 valve cover but lost the auction to a sniper when trying for the mate for it. Since then I have been outbid again and again on sets of these. Well, I finally broke down and spent more than I wanted to to get a pair. I dislike most all aftermarket valve covers and especially the cheap chromies that came with my engine, so I just bit the bullet.

The other missing piece has yet to be found. I need the fan mount half of the A/C box as the original was chewed by mice (as was the one in my parts car). Both of these parts really have to go in now so I can finish the re-assembly.

Anyway, as I've said before, I'm re-conditioning each piece before installing it. In the following pics you will see some of the hardware and brackets being painted next to the labeled bags they have been stored in. Also the recently new and now cleaned-up alternator and starter motor as well as the new stainless transmission cooling lines. All of those items are now installed on the car. I have also re-installed the front wiring harness after cleaning it and the contact points of the connectors and coating them in fresh dielectric grease for good connections. I'm also posting a pair of pics showing some of these components on the car as well as a pic of the trio of valve covers which I am working on while browsing the forums tonight.

Once I get my hands on the half of the A/C box, only an extended nut and bolt drill stands between me and getting this car running.

PICS:

1000918zk6.jpg

1000919es4.jpg

1000920wf2.jpg

1000921fy8.jpg

1000923qs8.jpg

• 2 months later...

Another mini-update:

I now have the correct A/C box on its way from Arizona. And today, I went on a run for some odds and ends I need to get this thing back together. I also ordered new grommets for the valve covers and a new oil filler cap from GM. The nights are getting quite cold now, so I've decided to plunge into this project for the balance of this week and hope to have the car running by Sunday if the A/C box shows up in time.

Stay tuned.

Again, I am just SO happy to see this thing being put back on the road. Thanks for the pics, they are a "pick me up" (pun not intended) after a bad day.

Saw a really nice, solid, rust free 73 big body El-Camino undergoing restoration (taking a walk with my daughter in a different neighborhood.) Thought of you when I saw that.

Chris

I'm in an ungodly state of lust over the 'camino in the background.

Glad your in a financial state to be able to save these cars. Really sad when you see 25 68-72 midsize GM cars show up at a show and you get 1 car from the 73-77 era. I remember the 73-77 cars as new cars my parents friends and enighbors bought. They were not the fire breathing monsters that an LS6 Chevelle. GS skylark, or ram air GTO were, but they rode well, ran forever with minimal repairs, and looked good doing it.

LOTS of good boyhood memories here. Please, please...keep the pics coming.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

I've been in the barn all weekend and I'm going back in a few minutes. There will be pics tomorrow sometime.

BTW: I can't really afford to do this, but I'm doing it anyway. If I only did what I could afford to do, I go insane.

As for the colonnade cars, I like them more now than I did when they were new. They've grown on me, and judging by the increase in value in the last year and a half or so, they've grown on other people as well. :AH-HA_wink:

I had a long update typed but then my power browned-out and I lost it all.

So, here's the short version:

I am staying on this project until the car is driveable - I just can't stop now!

Work and sleep be damned!

Here are a few pics (rad support install with new mounts).

Lots more to come late tonight or tomorrow.

1000976qm8.jpg

1000975cz9.jpg

1000977nw2.jpg

At least SOMEBODY is able to stick with their projects; mine have come to a screeching halt for the forseeable future. (the Eldorado doesn't get any more shop time until my father's boat is done and in the water and the '40 Packard panel delivery is damn near done). I, too, am quite envious. I love that wagon and also the big crewcab Chevy. I wish like hell I could find something like that.

Thanks guys!

WMJ: The blue roof is my '79 Jaguar XJ6L

XP: The Mothertruck will be the next project if I don't sell it as is first.

This session has been a marathon since the beginning of the weekend, and I'm not stopping until it's all back together. I expect to turn the key today.

I have some new pics to post shortly, and then I'll be back at it.

Thanks guys!

WMJ: The blue roof is my '79 Jaguar XJ6L

XP: The Mothertruck will be the next project if I don't sell it as is first.

This session has been a marathon since the beginning of the weekend, and I'm not stopping until it's all back together. I expect to turn the key today.

I have some new pics to post shortly, and then I'll be back at it.

KEY TIME!!!

You better wait..... and we better be done before I have to go out... I have to make sure Jerami doesn't go too wild. :scratchchin:

WE HAVE IGNITION!!!

The Chevelle is now a running and driving beast.

After replacing the faulty fuel pump and correcting the firing order (oops!) she fired right up. A little fiddling with the timimg and carb adjustments, toppping -off the trans fluid and power steering fluid, and I was cruising up and down the lane in style. It's a ton of fun to drive a car without fenders and a hood around.

Posed her on the lawn for some better pics after rinsing the dust off:

1001006hh7.jpg

1001005ah7.jpg

1001004nz5.jpg

1001003hs2.jpg

1001002fk6.jpg

1001001fq0.jpg

1001000sl6.jpg

1000999ce8.jpg

1001007zm1.jpg

Nice, really nice. You did an aazing job detaling the engine compartment. Congratulations, Camino.

Paint could be a while (budget issues).

I want to get the rear underside done first also.

EDIT: Inspection and some shakedown runs will happen first too.

Project $$ are always the challenge! Have you decided if this is a keeper or a flip?

And you still need to "finesse" those wheel center caps to fit too :AH-HA_wink:

Project $$ are always the challenge! Have you decided if this is a keeper or a flip?

And you still need to "finesse" those wheel center caps to fit too :AH-HA_wink:

I think everything is a flip these days, but I expect to enjoy it a little first.

And, I haven't forgotten the wheel centers.

I'm getting there now, but lots of little, invisible, things have needed to be done. I've spent way too much time under the dash messing around with wiring and vacuum lines. The exterior is almost fully assembled now, and the underhood is done other than some tidying up and the A/C. I still have quite a bit of panel aligning to get right and some odd mechanical tweaking to do, but this thing is headed for the road very soon. I also need to get my hands on a vacuum schematic.

Pics:

1001014se4.jpg

1001015ak6.jpg

1001017nb7.jpg

1001019eb8.jpg

1001020lk0.jpg

1001021oz2.jpg