Project Camino!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, it isn't going at all. It's been way too cold in the barn and I've been dealing with a hundred more pressing things. :banghead:

Tomorrow I plan to buy a new wick for the kerosene heater and see what I can do to warm it up to a workable temp.

Once I get some other things under control, and get enough heat in there, look out for a frenzy of activity on the project. I'm hoping to spend a huge chunk of the winter out there, completeing the wagon (except paint) and the Mothertruck as well.

Wish me luck.

• 3 months later...

You know- I never did click on this thread before. I dismissed it as being a 'design' thread or something, I guess; I did not realize it was a hands-on, in-the-steel project. I skimmed thru just now- very thorough job Camino! Nutshell it for me: you bought the Camino to resto, where does the wagon fit in- a 2nd concurrent resto?

You know- I never did click on this thread before. I dismissed it as being a 'design' thread or something, I guess; I did not realize it was a hands-on, in-the-steel project. I skimmed thru just now- very thorough job Camino! Nutshell it for me: you bought the Camino to resto, where does the wagon fit in- a 2nd concurrent resto?

Exactly Balthazar, I had intended to simply swap the drivetrain from the Camino into the wagon and call it good - but now I have two full resto projects on my hands.

So it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know it's been a long time but here is something of an update. I am nearly done with the braking system both front and back. These shots are of the driver's side rear brakes (i am still working on the passenger side). Once both sides are buttoned - up, I only have to add the rear brake lines and bleed them for that whole system to be completed. At that point, everthing in the entire braking system will be brand new except for the rear backing plates, the proportioning valve, and the brake pedal itself. Everything else is new: master cylinder,booster, stainless hard lines,flex lines,calipers,rotors (and bearings),pads, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, drums, self adjusters - everything.

Meanwhile, I went through the hassle of removing the fan mount half of the A/C casing from the parts car only to discover that a friggin' mouse chewed that one as well as the original! I have located exactly one 73-77 GM A-body in the local yard (a '76/77 Grand Lemans) and ,hopefully, the one in that car is still intact. Unfortunately, I won't know until I get it out.

I know that this isn't the most exciting update, but the good stuff will be coming soon.

Pics:

1000690ir5.jpg

1000830ln2.jpg

1000831xs3.jpg

1000834nn2.jpg

1000835xl3.jpg

Oh, while I was working back there I decided to have my sandblast guy do the underside of the car in the back. Trying to grind down the rust and refinish it without a lift and blaster just didn't sound like fun to me.

1000829ap8.jpg

Hey Camino,

PROGRESS ... awesome!

Heh, I was wondering when you were going to update this....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Baseball season is underway" ... Steve Goodman ... 'GO CUBS GO'

I was wondering myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh really?

Gonna keep it a secret?

I didn't win the auction, but today got a "2nd chance offer" since the winning bidder couldn't pay. I'm still haggling with the guy, but am try to go for a personal inspection tomorrow or Thu. If I buy it, I'll share :AH-HA_wink:

I've been busy over the last few days, and a good bit of progress has been made.

1000669iw4.th.jpg

you Sir are a madman, and I mean that in the BEST way possible!

I love the updates. :)

So what was it?

Meanwhile, I've been making some progress on the wagon. The braking system is complete and it won't be long before the drivetrain follows suit.

Pics and an update soon.

:useless:

1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - LINK

The seller was a really nice guy, it was just more of a project than I was looking for. The owner prior to him had it repainted and that was the big deal breaker for me -- I'd have preferred it unmessed with. The wheels and the chrome definitely told a story about its life prior to repaint.

:useless:

1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - LINK

The seller was a really nice guy, it was just more of a project than I was looking for. The owner prior to him had it repainted and that was the big deal breaker for me -- I'd have preferred it unmessed with. The wheels and the chrome definitely told a story about its life prior to repaint.

Gotcha.

Don't worry, there will be pics soon enough (I've taken a few already). I just want to get a bit more done prior to updating this.

One tidbit: the wheels are on and look good. :AH-HA_wink:

Well, I wrapped-up the rebuild of the rear brakes by finishing the passengers side a few days ago. I didn't bother with any pictures since it would look just like the driver's side in my last update. From there I moved on to installing the new stainless lines and a new flex line in the rear. Then it was on to bleeding the system - I discovered that I hadn't tightened all of the fittings in the front the hard way (oops). I guess that's what happens when too much time goes by in between work sessions on the project. Obviously I started with bleeding the master cylinder and then moved on to the rest of the system. So now the car has the completely new system installed and functional.

I have now moved on to getting ready for the drivetrain to finally settle into its new home. I'm pulling parts down from the shelves for the last time and it feels good. What didn't feel all that great was installing the new motor mounts. Whoever engineered the location of the mounts on the front crossmember is beyond question some sort of sadist! It is very difficult to bolt them in on the driver's side and damn-near impossible on the passenger's side. After quite the struggle, I got the job done and am very glad to have it behind me. The trouble stems from the lower control arm blocking access to backside of the bolt locations. When I do the Camino, the first thing I'll bolt to the frame will be the motor mounts!

Lots of smaller parts are being cleaned and painted for the re-install and the crossmember and trans linkage are ready to go in. If I'm lucky, the drivetrain will go in this weekend. I took some shots of the rear to give you an idea of why I'm going to have the sandblast guy handle that part of things, and took a few shots from underneath looking forward from where the trans will soon be.

Finally got to mount the wheels and tires on the car as well.

I feel like I'm getting there now.

PICS:

1000898td0.jpg

1000897xs2.jpg

1000896jy3.jpg

1000895if1.jpg

1000894eb5.jpg

1000893qm2.jpg

1000892ro2.jpg

1000891py0.jpg

1000890sf6.jpg

1000889ju0.jpg

1000888yk1.jpg

1000887gy3.jpg

1000886en4.jpg

1000899rz2.jpg

I wish fluids still came in METAL containers like back in the day.

Looking good :thumbsup:

It's amazing how those wheels cleaned up. That front dust cap looks like it'll be a PITA for center caps though...

Can't wait for the engine install shots!

Thanks.

Yeah, the center cap thing is a hassle - but I'll find something that works at some point.

I'm about to grab a quick meal and head back out there.

I messed with small stuff until 2:30 AM last night. I'm trying to get all the stuff on the cowl and firewall done ahead of the drivetrain going in so it will be easier to do. It is so tempting to just let that stuff go and install the engine/trans - but so far I have been able to resist that temptation.

I'm heading back out there for another session shortly, tomorrow morning will likely be...

...difficult.

Here's a note to anyone with a 73-77 A body:

The motor mounts are such a hassle on these colonnade cars that I'll never do them as a service item - I'll pay someone with a lift and more special tools than I own. Looking at the crossmember, the way that the mounts are engineered makes absolutely no sense. My guess is that a design revision forced this odd arrangement somehow and GM cheaped out on the solution. It's as if the crossmember was designed to use the smaller, old style mounts and some genius just had to use the newer, larger mounts. There are a huge number of other holes in that part of the crossmember as well, making me think that GM didn't quite finish engineering this arrangement. The mounts themselves are so far forward that the lower forward corner (and bolt hole) actually overlaps the front edge of the crossmember rendering the fourth hole useless. Consequently, these mounts only use three bolts.

The drivetrain is in!

I did lots of little stuff on the firewall and underneath the car and then finally got to the point where the drivetrain needed to go in. After fussing with so much small stuff, it was nice to make so much happen in one fell swoop for a change!

It was quite a struggle to do this by myself, but I managed to get the engine and trans in with the headers already attached to the exhaust .

Some of the pics are of the detailing of the small parts and one is of the notorious motor mount issue, but most are of the fun stuff.

More details and pics soon.

1000901xg1.jpg

1000900kr0.jpg

1000917jh2.jpg

1000902xx0.jpg

1000903ty2.jpg

1000904me4.jpg

1000905fu8.jpg

1000906pc0.jpg

1000907wt9.jpg

I hope to have it running before the end of the week, and if I'm lucky, all of the body panels back on soon after.

Then I'm planning to have the back half of the underside sandblasted and painted. Following that, the body gets media blasted and a re-paint. This stuff will have to wait for the funds to be in place and the timing between media blasting and bodyshop to be set.

Tee-hee- the motor looks.... so.... tiny. Is that a XS (extra small) block ? :D

Just kiddin', congrats on the 'drop'!

:lol:

Nah, it's just that the colonnades are XL-sized midsize cars. :AH-HA_wink:

It felt really good to finally get the drivetrain in. I've done a little bit more since these pics, but I'm waiting on some pieces before I go much farther.