Sierra vs. Tundra brochure

BigPontiac

...and the "real" truck guys (contractors, farmers, etc.) don't tend to read CR, plus they are more mechanically savvy so don't fall for the hyberole and outright lies of the media. You'll get the usual martini swilling weekend warriors and the odd disaffected GM/Ford customer who will buy these trucks, but that's it.

Unless GM or Ford do something completely stupid with their trucks in the next couple years, they have the home court advantage.

The Tundra may have the goods, but it looks like a bloated catfish, and the radio controls are a helluva reach. GM did a far better job with its interiors. However, the six-speed needs widespread availability. Better power management should narrow the gap in unladen acceleration comparisons.

Edited by C.H.U.D.

Go away for a while and stop by and there's still a couple of the Toyota suckers here.

And they still are desperately trying to post the nonsense about people "admiring" the incredibly hideous Tindra.

My goodness, go back to the Toyota boards and try to explain the screwed up "new" Scions or Highlander. Or even the class action losses of the sludge defect AND the sexual harrasment suit.

I just don't see GM people hanging out on one of the Toyota boards causing trouble but the Toyota nuts just love to go someplace and cause pain for themselves.

By the time the sales floor opened there was a heavy dust storm outside...

Superb paint finish

If there was a heavy dust storm, that would mean the Tundra would be very dusty. Are superb paint jobs now ones that are covered in dust, or am I missing something here?

I saw two Tundras this weekend... both on the interstate. The second one at least had a dealer plate on it (didn't notice if the first one had a dealer plate or not), so I'm wondering if they were doing a dealer trade, because they were going opposite directions not that long after each other (I was going the opposite direction of them both times, on the same interstate). I haven't seen one up close outside of the auto show, but my initial impressions were that it is a better than average truck, but not a great truck like the T900s. I think the interest level from the crowds at the auto show reflected that.

GM does need to do something about the Tundra being the better performer, whether trucks are supposed to be performance vehicles or not. I suspect that soon enough the 6L will be gone, replaced by the 6.2 with 417lb-ft and 380-400HP.

>>"...superb paint job..."<<

toyota must've really upped the QC on their paint department, because 50% of the lexus trucks I've looked at up close had terrible factory orange peel. But with toyota's recent record on quality, somehow I doubt that.

orange peel can easily be buffed out, the red silverado I saw the same day had a none of the depth or gloss of the red Tundra I ran into.

If there was a heavy dust storm, that would mean the Tundra would be very dusty. Are superb paint jobs now ones that are covered in dust, or am I missing something here?

Nope, and the dust storm began after I was already in for service.

Big truck, it is. Best looking, it most certainly is not. Well, IMO anyway. I think the Sierra is the best looking, even if it does heavily resemble the outgoing F-series SD in the front. The Sierra Denali is all kinds of macho and class rolled into one.

Not really surprised as I see Ridgelines all the time as well.

Not around where I live.

Toyota will likely meet its 200k projection, but thats all it'll ever do. Toyota faces the same situation in large pickups that GM faces in family cars, and it likely won't ever be overcome. Because, unlike with cars, GM (or Ford) has never built a bad truck.

I think sales goals are 250k, and that doesn't explain why a blue-collar Silverado owner pulled over to look at them, Must have heard the Tundra is built here in Texas.

orange peel can easily be buffed out, the red silverado I saw the same day had a none of the depth or gloss of the red Tundra I ran into.

Nope, and the dust storm began after I was already in for service.

And you said you saw the Tundra after you left, which implies you saw the Tundra after the dust storm... how is it not dusty then?

The paint on the old Silverado (especially red and black) was rather poor, I thought, after detailing cars over. The dark blue was probably the best paint. I'm not sure if GM re-did the paint shop wit the changeover to the T900s, but at least the slate blue on the T900s looks much higher-quality than it did on the T800s.

I think a lot of the "depth" you see in paint is mostly seen in metallic colors. The red and black used on the old Silverados (and possibly the new ones, I'm not sure), is flat, not metallic, while the dark blue that looked nice was metallic.

>>"orange peel can easily be buffed out"<<

Who wants to have their $70K vehicle's (LX470) entire factory paint job buffed out???

>>"doesn't explain why a blue-collar Silverado owner pulled over to look at them, Must have heard the Tundra is built here in Texas."<<

Aren't you making a huge assumption his inspection was a favorable one? Ohhhh, that's right: it's japanese-- everyone knows it's automatically superior and madly aspirational.

No doubt someone saw me looking over a co-worker's titan last year, doesn't mean I was looking to trade my 12-yr old F-150 for one for even a split second, OR that I was impressed with what I observed.

>>"orange peel can easily be buffed out"<<

Who wants to have their $70K vehicle's (LX470) entire factory paint job buffed out???

walking through a parking lot the other day I looked at a brand new Escalade EXT. Had more orange peel then any Toyota I've seen at the dealer. So fake wood and orange peel are acceptable in a $70k Escalade?

the LX570/LX600 are due out next year, most likely recieves the same paint treatment as the LS460's robotic 3D buffing process. so when's Cadillac going to catch on?

hehe, toyoguy is dreaming. I stopped by the local dealership to look at The Atomic Tadpole too. It's the ugliest truck on the market, and I told the little sales chick just what I thought.

looks are subjective, sales #'s will tell if the public agrees w/you

and I doubt the sales chick cared.

Edited by toyoguy