Sierra vs. Tundra brochure

BigPontiac

"THEY'VE BEEN WATCHING OUR TRUCKS!"

That's my favorite :thumbsup:

Mine too.

This is what I like to see out of GM. Aggressive marketing that says "F you" to Toyota.

I do believe I said that Toyota would regret their ridiculously-aggressive marketing campaign when GM and Ford struck back with equally aggressive campaigns that Toyota has nothing to combat it with (such as "They've been watching our trucks!")

Still kind of pulling a few dumb points out just for the heck of it, but a fun read overall. I'll still stay in the majority that likes the "different-ness" of the Tundra quite a bit, while also respecting the great precision of things and model selection of the GM's.

But like said, this is what NEEDS to be on a commercial, and enough of the stupid driving down a desert back road...direct comparisons provoke interest, good or bad, while self boasting only gets a more limited following.

Edited by caddycruiser

Is that a factory toyota pic? 'Cause the photo quality absolutely sucks on it, while the GM photo is quite nice. This should shut up those who cannot stop bashing GM Photographic for a few minutes.

GMC looks trim & fresh and contemporary- the toyota looks bloated and pug-nosed.

Great little brochure- wonder why they stopped at mentioning only those advantages?

Only thing that always bugs me is 'GMC building trucks for over 100 years' when GMC was organized in 1911. There was nothing with that name prior to 1911. 2007 - 1911 = 96.

I'll still stay in the majority that likes the "different-ness" of the Tundra quite a bit

???????

Is that a factory toyota pic? 'Cause the photo quality absolutely sucks on it, while the GM photo is quite nice. This should shut up those who cannot stop bashing GM Photographic for a few minutes.

GMC looks trim & fresh and contemporary- the toyota looks bloated and pug-nosed.

Great little brochure- wonder why they stopped at mentioning only those advantages?

Only thing that always bugs me is 'GMC building trucks for over 100 years' when GMC was organized in 1911. There was nothing with that name prior to 1911. 2007 - 1911 = 96.

???????

In the real brochure, the photo quality is evenly matched between both trucks. The scanned version may not show as well as the real thing.

I'm not sure if this is a dealer, regional, or GM national offering. Anyone else seen anything like it? I may checkout a few other dealers out of curiosity...

Edited by BigPontiac

Too bad they dropped the ball in their ads in my current magazine for their engine stats. They quoted two different h.p. ratings for the Denali's 6.2L V8, 403 h.p. and 380 h.p. for the same engine, and then 6.0L V8 h.p. as 367 and then 366 h.p.?

It's awesome that GM is doing this but I would of used the Silverado...

Why would a GMC dealer use the Silverado in a comparison brochure?

I'm sure Chevrolet dealers have a similar type of brochure using the Silverado.

I'm surprised these types of advertisements haven't been mentioned by some of our prominent dealership buddies on this site. GM seems to be hitting some home-runs lately in advertising.

This is too funny they need a commercial on TV for this. I love the they have been watching our trucks. They have been doing a ton of over-marketing with this truck. Too many TV ad's and trying to push the "Wrangle jeans and white tee thing" way to far. It was evident at the Chicago Autoshow anyways. Hmmm Toyota who is trying to be who here? Good for GMC to get out the facts!

i love the toyota comercial praising their new tundra. "The new Toyota Tundra, the most powerful v8 in its class*"

yeah the "*" caught my attention. because at the bottom of the screen it says "* when equiped". truth is we got the front runner with the most standard horsepower in the fullsize class. The best thing about it is the 4.8 also gets the same, if not beter epa than toyotas standard v6 in the tundra.

I hope GM keeps on the attack as the new Tundra hits the road. I'm sure Toy will get much free publicity as the lemmings cast their praise for the new Tundra. I was at the Cincinnati auto show yesterday and had a chance to see both brands up close. I thought that the Tundra had way too much plastic in the interior making the inside look cheap. Interior finish and materials on the GM trucks were much better. No price tags on the Toy so can't compare prices. Wonder how long before the Tundra is recalled or sludge builds up in the engine?

Edited by BuickBoy

Good job GM. But the onslaught should be brutal. Let not Toy come back.

This should be on the TV with the ending saying --> "They watched us"

But at the same time they should not over do it because that may give a big brother bashing a smaller one (in terms of sales here)

Ads like these should be subtle and hilarious. Good work GM!

I am all against the new Tundra but these brochures honely are pretty cheesy. I think they could've come up with some real points about the important chassis and drivetrain componants and frame integrity vs making a point about the Tundra being taller or how the bottom of a seat is trimmed out.

Like on the one brochure they comment that GMC brought the duel glovebox first, then go on about the 170 degree opening rear doors - well the Titan had that first.

All I am saying is that is a piss poor marketing scheme when they have a lot of other points between the trucks to focus on... it just was not a very professional grade brochure.

Most of the things in the brochure are trivial, and it can be counterproductive by giving the impression that these are the only significant differences between the trucks. In a way, GMC is advertising the Tundra in the brochure by noting that it is a real competitor.

Wow. Way to go GM! A brocure that absolutely no one will see (Trust me, I work at a Goodwrench Quick Lube and NO ONE but car enthusiasts even cares about the brochures we have) yet at the same time we are being BOMBARDED with Tundra ads ALL over the media. (Even radio spots)

That's some EXCELLENT marketing!!!!!

(*MUCH sarcasm intended*)

Why doesn't GM EVER put this sh*t out where it can be seen?!?!?!?!?!?!

The same thing happened with the "What GM contributes to the economy" campaign... It was an EXCELLENT campaign that got LITTLE to NO exposure.

At the same time, GM is busy passing off it's core divisions to agencies who come up with tired ass lines like "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit."

Excuse me???? What???? What exactly is the ANTIQUE slogan supposed to convey about Cadillac and WHY exactly should it make me NOT have negative feelings about the division, much less POSITIVE feelings about it? Not to mention the way the ads and commercials are shot SUCKS.

I'm tired of GM marketing... GM WILL NOT succeed unless it can communicate it's message for EVERY division and product to the consumer. Period.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Most of the things in the brochure are trivial, and it can be counterproductive by giving the impression that these are the only significant differences between the trucks. In a way, GMC is advertising the Tundra in the brochure by noting that it is a real competitor.

Very trivial and very tacky, unprofessional advertising. It would be one thing if GM actually put out good advertising claims against the new Tundra such as bigger brakes, more safety features, etc. Payload isn't even mentioned and the ad clearly shows the Tundra has more towing capacity in typical, better-selling 1/2 ton versions. The Sierra also offers 1 V6 and 3 V8s, not 1 V6 and 4 V8s.

We all know the 5.3L does not put out it power GM says it does because of the engine/transmission software management program that is geared toward fuel economy (Edmunds confirmed this). I'd like to see the 6.0L dyno'ed.

We all know the 5.3L does not put out it power GM says it does because of the engine/transmission software management program that is geared toward fuel economy (Edmunds confirmed this). I'd like to see the 6.0L dyno'ed.

That's not even close to accurate....

Edmunds dyno'd the 6.0L. If they would have put it in tow/haul mode the power would have became available instantly instead of after 4 seconds and the graph would have looked much different.

Both engines are SAE certified... so GM is not claiming they put down more HP than they do.

SAE Certified 6.0L Dyno Chart

SAE Certified 5.3L Dyno Chart

tow haul mode doesn't explain how the Tundra handily out accelerates the Silverado as tested by trucktrend, edmunds, and popular mechanics.

the fact that GMC bothered with the brochure tells me that customers are coming in comparing the two trucks and that the Tundra should have no trouble meeting sales expectations.

Edited by toyoguy

I can't even see the brochure...I keep getting a board message...somebody mind hosting and posting he images?

Trying to open board attachments with Firefox doesn't work, gotta use IE.

Anyways, not a fan of the brochure, it seems really nitpicky. They mention the lack of a "traditional" extended cab, Toyota (like Dodge before them) offers the same thing but with back doors that can open independant of the fronts. Seems a hell of a lot more convenient (for people at least) than the traditional way. They also dont mention payload or braking, two things that are pretty important to truck owner (ok, the 9% of them who use them as trucks) possibly more important than which has the prettier seat bottom.

Plus, this in no way makes up for the lack of advertising compared to Toyota. There are Tundra commercials on ESPN (high # of male viewers) at what seems like every commercial break. Toyota is the official truck of Bass Pro Shops (the local "all-American" company that I hate, btw) so trucks and ads are going to be around their stores where people go (often in trucks) to buy hunting/fishing/camping supplies and, occasionally, boats. GM should be advertising like that (I dont know, does Cabela's have an official truck?) to reach out to a core audience.

one of the most frustrating things for me as a Chevy/GMC/Pontiac salesman

and GM enthusiast was always seeing awsome K.O. punch stuff like this in a

brochure that kicked around a GM dealership but was never advertised to

the general public. It is a stupid way to advertise your dominance in the

makretplace since most Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Mazda/Dodge/Ford loyalists

don't ever step into a GM dealership.

You should have seen the stuff we had kicking around for the launch of the

new Tahoe/Suburban in 2000. If you read any of the comparative stuff to

the Expedition & Excursion you'd be amazed. The Ford was 70% the truck,

even $-per-$... it was amazing.

Thanks for posting those images toyoguy..now I can see them. The glove box agreement is kinda silly. The Caliber has it, with a drink cooler...the Yaris has like 3 of them. Hell, the 2nd gen Caravan had 2 gloveboxes.

Still, it makes some good points, my favorite is:

"THEY'VE BEEN WATCHING OUR TRUCKS!"

tow haul mode doesn't explain how the Tundra handily out accelerates the Silverado as tested by trucktrend, edmunds, and popular mechanics.

the fact that GMC bothered with the brochure tells me that customers are coming in comparing the two trucks and that the Tundra should have no trouble meeting sales expectations.

Let's see... The Tundra has more gears, more power, and more torque. Even if the tow/haul is switched on (which I'm guessing Edmunds was too dumb to do if they didn't do it on the dyno test) then the Tundra should be faster. If the Silverado, in addition, doesn't accelerate with full power for the first four seconds, then the Tundra is going to be even faster.

Not putting on the tow/haul mode would be like someone racing but only pushing the gas down halfway, it just doesn't make sense.

http://i9.tinypic.com/2lu5d80.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2celp47.jpg

the glove box one is hilarious, as Toyota showcased the Tundra months before the Sierra was unveiled.

and the Tundra comes w/18in wheels standard

What's the attraction of big wheels anyway? If your going for the look, fine. If you want better ride and cheaper replacement of tires for a vehicle you're going to drive for 500K miles, I'd rather have 16" standard.

What's the attraction of big wheels anyway? If your going for the look, fine. If you want better ride and cheaper replacement of tires for a vehicle you're going to drive for 500K miles, I'd rather have 16" standard.

Bigger brakes mean bigger wheels are necessary. On the new 900 trucks, the smallest wheel that will fit is a 17" I think

Edited by sgfootball2006

That brochure was too nitpicky for me. It sounded like a big hissy fit on GM's part. The GLOVE BOX? Gimmie a break.

They're all upset because they can't make consumers confident in their products, but don't remedy the situation with any good advertising on their part.

Edited by AxelTheRed

Right, forgot about that one. On '05 pickups 17" was standard because the new rear drum didn't fit with 16" wheels.

Yes. When the GMT800's were introduced, the four-wheel disc brakes were played up in the advertisements. GM went with drums beginning in '05 because of excessive wear in the rear discs. The GMT900's continue with rear drums in the light duty trucks. The Tundra, by the way, has four-wheel disc brakes.

It's awesome that GM is doing this but I would of used the Silverado, but maybe GM thought that 4 awards were enough ( If you count "Top 5 Truck/SUV by C&D).

( If you count "Top 5 Truck/SUV by C&D) . . . . . . in which the new Silverado did beat the new Blundra.

Dumb motherf**kers think that 18" wheels look cool... unitl they go

in for new tires & instead of paying $600 for a set of 16" tires they

have to spend $1000. Good luck w/ that. It's a truck not a sportscar.

I got my oil change this morning, saw a contractor in a Silverado pull into the dealer to gawk at the new Tundra. He was driving on the wrong side of the dealer's pavement for his inspection, nearly ran into me.

By the time the sales floor opened there was a heavy dust storm outside so I couldn't check the Tundra out myself.

on my way back home I drove alongside a red 5.7L Tundra. Had tow mirrors, and looks like an HD truck, big mofo. Superb paint finish, very pleasing in person. Judging from the pics, I earlier thought it wasn't that good looking, but now IMO it just replaced the F150 as best looking 1/2 ton.

I doubt Toyota will have trouble selling them, I'd even bet Chrysler woes are about to take a turn for the worse.

I got my oil change this morning, saw a contractor in a Silverado pull into the dealer to gawk at the new Tundra. He was driving on the wrong side of the dealer's pavement for his inspection, nearly ran into me.

By the time the sales floor opened there was a heavy dust storm outside so I couldn't check the Tundra out myself.

on my way back home I drove alongside a red 5.7L Tundra. Had tow mirrors, and looks like an HD truck, big mofo. Superb paint finish, very pleasing in person. Judging from the pics, I earlier thought it wasn't that good looking, but now IMO it just replaced the F150 as best looking 1/2 ton.

I doubt Toyota will have trouble selling them, I'd even bet Chrysler woes are about to take a turn for the worse.

Big truck, it is. Best looking, it most certainly is not. Well, IMO anyway. I think the Sierra is the best looking, even if it does heavily resemble the outgoing F-series SD in the front. The Sierra Denali is all kinds of macho and class rolled into one.

I've seen a few new Tundras on the road so far. Not really surprised as I see Ridgelines all the time as well.

Toyota will likely meet its 200k projection, but thats all it'll ever do. Toyota faces the same situation in large pickups that GM faces in family cars, and it likely won't ever be overcome. Because, unlike with cars, GM (or Ford) has never built a bad truck.