Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Trying to figure out the name and band of a song

mustang84

Yesterday in Bracciano, we were at some guy's apartment who is also a well-known chef in the area and since he works part time for Iowa State, he cooked us a seven course meal. While we were there, his wife had on their collection of 80s music, and one song came on that I know I used to hear on the radio when I was a little kid and want to try to find it, but I have no idea who it's by or what any of the lyrics even are. So I figured I'd give it a shot and see if anyone here knows what song I'm talking about.

The singer sounds a lot like the guy from Depeche Mode or the Cure, but the song isn't by either of those two as far as I know. It's sort of a slower tempo song and kinda moody, big vocals with this distinctive synthesizer and electronic bells rhythm. The song almost has a desert-like sound to it...I think it's part of the "new romantic" genre or whatever it was called.

So, here's my best attempt to type out what the song sounds like since I don't know any of the lyrics...

[sythesizer] Reeaaaoooowwww...... [bells] do-do-do do da do-do do da da..... [pause].... [synthesizer again] reeeaaaoooowwwwww.... [vocals start]

Any guesses? I wish I would've caught at least a couple of the lyrics but they were kind of hard to hear with everyone talking.

Yesterday in Bracciano, we were at some guy's apartment who is also a well-known chef in the area and since he works part time for Iowa State, he cooked us a seven course meal.

I can't help you with the song but this is unbelievable. You went to Bracciano which is on the lake about 15 to 20 miles northwest of Rome? If so, you probably noted another lake town called Anguillara. My cousin, who commutes to Rome for work, lives there. Feels so removed from Rome out there, doesn't it?

Well, it looks like you found your song. :lol:

I can't help you with the song but this is unbelievable. You went to Bracciano which is on the lake about 15 to 20 miles northwest of Rome? If so, you probably noted another lake town called Anguillara. My cousin, who commutes to Rome for work, lives there. Feels so removed from Rome out there, doesn't it?

Well, it looks like you found your song. :lol:

We rode the train to Bracciano so I don't remember the name of that town...is it near the railroad tracks? The ride from S. Pietro station near the Vatican took us about an hour by train...I'm sure if would have been quicker if we hadn't made so many stops though. Bracciano was a beautiful town though...there's a huge castle up on the hill that we toured and has a great view of the lake. I'm thinking about making another post soon with some recent pictures, I'll probably include one of the view. But yeah, being outside of Rome is nice...it's so quiet and you aren't constantly putting up with the noisy diesel cars and motorini.

Oh also, next week we're heading to Venice for a few days for a class trip, then afterward is our spring break so a group of us are flying to Athens. We'll stay there for a few days, check out the Acropolis and Temple of Poseidon (plus some of the modern arch. since there's hardly any in Rome), then we're flying to Naples and going to see Pompei, Heraculaneum, Mount Vesuvius, and maybe Sorrento. I've been doing a little crash course in Greek language the past couple days...it's tough! I'm hoping to get some basic words down, but since they use the Greek alphabet and don't have all the letters we have, it's a really screwy language.

Edited by mustang84

then we're flying to Naples and going to see Pompei, Heraculaneum, Mount Vesuvius, and maybe Sorrento.

Naples is the veritable armpit of Italy...it is the most corrupt and (petty) crime-ridden of the Italian cities. Most Italians' (from other places) hair stands up on its ends being there. True, it is the jumping off spot for all those places that are worth seeing but, while there, do not have anything remotely valuable on you nor papers/documents you want to lose. I hate the 'effin place...and I have relatives (Sicilian, but assigned to a government job in Naples) who I won't go see. Stick to your group and don't dabble much in Naples. Glad to hear you are having fun.

Naples is the veritable armpit of Italy...it is the most corrupt and (petty) crime-ridden of the Italian cities. Most Italians' (from other places) hair stands up on its ends being there. True, it is the jumping off spot for all those places that are worth seeing but, while there, do not have anything remotely valuable on you nor papers/documents you want to lose. I hate the 'effin place...and I have relatives (Sicilian, but assigned to a government job in Naples) who I won't go see. Stick to your group and don't dabble much in Naples. Glad to hear you are having fun.

I heard Naples is a little rough, but I didn't realize it was that bad. Our hotel is in Naples, but we're only staying there for one night and our sightseeing will be outside of the city. Isn't Naples where the Italian mafia originated?

I heard Naples is a little rough, but I didn't realize it was that bad. Our hotel is in Naples, but we're only staying there for one night and our sightseeing will be outside of the city. Isn't Naples where the Italian mafia originated?

No. The Mafia originated in Sicily. The Camorra originated in Naples. The 'ndragheta originated in Calabria. All in the south...that's why northern Italians don't like southern Italians. And me, being southern Italian, can sort of understand while they feel that way. Fortunately, because I don't look southern Italian, I can blend reall well in the north of Italy and am treated well. Actually, this is a political "hush-hush" topic that is probably best left alone while over there, but I wanted to pass on that information.

I am really sorry about what happened to your fellow studio mate. I am wondering if he was small and naive-looking which could have made him a target. Even though I can take care of myself, I am always cautious in some of those cities. The train station is in Piazza Garibaldi which is always crowded, but I would stay away from any neighborhoods outside of there. What's really sad is that (many) less than fortunate Neopolitans are all about the "art of the scam" and accept it as a way of life with no intent to change it. Naples has had many campaigns to change its image and it doesn't look like they are succeeding.

As for the hotel, do not take any valuables with you or keep them with you. I have heard that stuff has "disappeared" even in some nice hotels. What a $h! hole!

What features distinguish the looks of a southern Italian from a northern Italian? From what I've heard, my ancestors came from northern Italy around Milan, so I'm assuming I must have the northern Italian look.

This holds true most of the time but sometimes it doesn't...meaning there are darker featured people of unmistakable northern Italian lineage and light skinned, or blond, Italians coming from the South (about 20% of my relatives are some dark shade of blond and they are southern).

However, that being said, a southern Italian generally would generally get the reaction "now THAT's an Italian." This would be someone like Al Pacino, Tony Danza or Sylvester Stallone. Dark features, dark eyes (especially with what I call the hound dog feature...i.e. the whites exposed under the pupil like Stallone has), a prominent nose and an unmistakable ethnic look. Some are potentially interchangeable with a Greek or a darker Spaniard (they cast Andy Garcia in "Godfather III" and he is Cuban and they cast Al Pacino in "Scarface" and he is Italian).

A northern Italian wouldn't probably get that reaction...they could interchange with French or Swiss people in most cases, which border them to the north. Most of the time, they will have brown or black hair but it's just that they don't look particularly ethnic. If you are ever in Milan or Turin, you will see a lot of Italians that don't hit you over the head as being Italian, particularly the more well-heeled northerners.

Throwing this over to another ethnicity or race, take some Jewish celebrities. I have a Jewish friend I grew up with in LA who was talking about this and she said "now, you take one look at Elliott Gould and you think 'now that's a Jew' "...because he has a certain look. Then you look at Michael Douglas or William Shatner and that wouldn't really register, yet they are Jewish.

This whole anthropological thing is fascinating and people watching in Italy is a trip in itself. Sometimes, I've found myself on trains in Italy trying to keep from busting up in laughter...they probably wouldn't get it and probably don't see themselves as amusing, so they might think I am the one who is nuts.

Edited by trinacriabob

First I am shocked that this was figured out so quickly. Second, dammit, now I have to go out and pick that up on CD, since I never upgraded.

Olds Guy, glad to see you put an Intrigue at the right hand side of your new sig...sweet....