About to purchase a new car, help please :)

I need to purchase a new car asap, I have the cash available, do you guys think GM is going to offer "march madness" incentives like they did last year?

I could wait a few weeks if it will save me a few grand :)

P.S.

Which models would you guys recommend for a 23 year old student? I was looking at the Pontiac Vibe, I like the fold flat seats, I can sleep in that thing!

If you like the Vibe, have you looked at the HHR? Around the same price, but much roomier and has a more powerful engine.

And welcome to the site!

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

I didn't notice the HHR before, I will definatly have to test drive it, that thing is sweet! Much more of a distinctive styling.

Do you think GM will offer some sort of march madness promotion? I am willing to wait upto 2-3 weeks, even to just save $500.

It depends on how much money you're willing to spend for a car and what features you require. Since I don't know what area of the country you are in I am giving you the link for current offers (rebates) for Pontiac for Delaware, which is where I live. Your area should be similar. http://www.pontiac.com/currentoffers/regio...=DE&county=

Also just to let you know the Vibe does not come in AWD this year or a GT model.

A warm welcome to you, on this snowy day in Delaware. :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac-Custom-S

I'd bet on a March Madness sales event. Even though GM is scaling back on their incentives, they have said that they will keep their regular sales events which includes March Madness.

Also, consider what kind of financing you can secure. GM has been on a big kick of offering low financing in place of cash incentives and often times these subvented interest rates save you more on your monthly payment than cash off the hood.

The HHR is a good call.

Also, consider what kind of financing you can secure. GM has been on a big kick of offering low financing in place of cash incentives and often times these subvented interest rates save you more on your monthly payment than cash off the hood.

I have to pay in cash :( My insurance rates are insane, its not worth it even at 0% financing (as I would be required to have full comprehensive coverage). Also my trade in is prob. still worth $5k, so it would only be 0% on ~$12k since I have a ton of GMcard money :)

I greatly apprechiate all your replies, I am going to do all the test driving within the next week (and hopefully fixup my car enough for local driving). I can wait the two weeks for march maddness (should start on the 22nd, right?), plus like you guys mentioned, what's the worse that can happen, the incentives are currently very low.

This forum is great, what a welcoming and warm place to be :)

-David

P.S.

Do you think I can get $5k for my 2002 Honda Accord LX Sedan with 73k miles with some minor body damage and a bad transmission. Shold I repair the transmission before trading in the car? The car seems to go fine in reverse, but it seems to lose power and barely go into any forward gear (at the moment I can barely go 5mph in forward gear, and that is when the car decides to even shift into gear). A friend of mine with very limited car knowlege said it may be the torque converter? Is that an expensive repair? I feel the dealership is going to take advantage of the fact that the car is barely moving when I trade it in and way undervalue the car.

I wouldn't repair the Accord. My Aunt had a similar situation with her Subaru (oil leaking from lots of places) and it was a '98 with 72k miles. It was undriveable, basically. She sold it to one of the mechanics at the Subaru dealership for like $7k I think. There's no way she would have gotten that if she were to trade, but if she were to repair it and then trade she probably would have gotten less overall than just trading it without repairing it.

Basically, what I'm saying is this: It will probably cost you $1500 to repair it, but it's only going to cost the dealership probably $500 to repair it. If you just trade it in they may give you $1000 less because it has the bad trans than if you were to repair it, but you're really $500 ahead because you didn't have to pay the repair costs.

Welcome, DavidCL2! Glad you like it around here and hope you stay!

I forgot where I saw it before, but I definitely saw an article mentioning that March Madness incentives would return this year.

Here it is...

GM Extends President's Day Sale 'till Feb. 28

GM will also offer a "March Madness" campaign that coincides with the national college basketball tournament that starts next month.

I got the chance to drive both the Vibe and the HHR. The HHR is in my opinion a much better vehicle. Much quieter and its no contest which engine is more powerful though I drove the HHR with the 2.4 liter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry for late reply..... been busy checking out the cars! I apprechiate the idea of purchasing a dodge product, but I have so much GMcard points sitting unused, I really preffer to use some of them.

These are the two cars I have narrowed down to. Any advice/coments would be greatly apprechiated.

Brand new (30miles) 2006 Monte Carlo LS with only option of ABS/Traction Control - $18,999 - trade in (prob only $3500-$4000 :( ) + $195 doc fee + tax (tax unfortanetly is even on rebate amount + gmcard amount) then - $1500 rebate - $2000 GMcard money = $13,000 or so out the door (i'm paying cash)

OR

Brand new 2007 Buick Rendezvous - going to visit a dealer tonight to find out price etc. Trade in should be same $3500-$4000. There is a $3750 rebate + $2500 GMcard money available. Never drove it yet, but from the online pictures, it looks like a really comftorable ride selling for cheap.

Is there any conquest cash on either of these models? I am trading in a honda, so I would definatly be elligabe :)

I plan on purchasing the car this friday (I have the funds ready and waiting!).

Any other models within a silimilar price point I should look at?

Wish me luck.

David

Both of those models are going out of production. I guess they would be ok, but I think you can find some better options. If you would like a coupe, did you check out the G6 coupe?

A base G6 GT coupe after incentives and before any additional discount from the dealer is $20730. You should be able to get it down to under $20k before GM card credits and I would think resale would be much better than the Monte Carlo and I would think it would ride/handle better as well.

If you want a crossover type vehicle the Equinox or Torrent would be a better choice than the Rendezvous I think. You would probably want the preferred package, so your probably looking at something around $22.5k before GM card credits.

I think there are probably better, newer options than the MC and Rendezvous, but if that's what you like, then go for it. I'm just offering some suggestions.

Both of those models are going out of production. I guess they would be ok, but I think you can find some better options. If you would like a coupe, did you check out the G6 coupe?

A base G6 GT coupe after incentives and before any additional discount from the dealer is $20730. You should be able to get it down to under $20k before GM card credits and I would think resale would be much better than the Monte Carlo and I would think it would ride/handle better as well.

If you want a crossover type vehicle the Equinox or Torrent would be a better choice than the Rendezvous I think. You would probably want the preferred package, so your probably looking at something around $22.5k before GM card credits.

I think there are probably better, newer options than the MC and Rendezvous, but if that's what you like, then go for it. I'm just offering some suggestions.

Thanks for the fast reply Northstar. I will definatly check out the equinox, that thing is gorgeous :)

P.S.

Anywhere online to lookup conquest rebate amounts? I am still going to try out the Rendezvous tonight as my mom loves it. I can always purchase it, drive it until the summer then she gets it and I get a new car (whatever the good deal available at the time, hopefully maybe a small incentive on a solstice ;-) ).

What city are you in? Always check the newspaper for steals, but remember they're often used to lure buyers into an "okay" deal, if there's only "1 at this price" that's been sold.

In last Saturday's LA Times...

'07 Chevy HHR LT - $12,999 ($17,870 - $2,871 discount - $1,500 rebate - $1,000 bonus cash, in lieu of 0% APR)

'07 Pontiac G6 1SV - $11,888 ($17,720 - $3,332 discount - $1,500 rebate - $1,000 bonus cash, in lieu of 0% APR)

'06 Pontiac Torrent - $16,999 ($24,545 - $4,546 discount - $2,000 rebate - $1,000 bonus cash, in lieu of 0% APR)

'07 Chevy Cobalt LS - $9,999 ($13,755 - $2,256 discount - $1,000 rebate - $500 bonus cash, in lieu of 0% APR)

'07 Saturn VUE 4A - $16,775

'07 Saturn AURA XE - $18,995

Be sure to check when the GM card cash expires... they often don't last forever. And I believe you can't use it for Saturns.

Edited by empowah

Welcome to the site! Skip the aging and gutless Vibe-the HHR is so much better! A little crmped and it could use more rear seat and cargo room from what I can remember, but it seems to be a lot of car for the money. Saturn Aura is good too-as for other compact and mid-size GM cars (and the subcompact)-skip them, there's far better cars that compete against mediocrities like the Chevy Cobalt and Pontiac G5, like the promising redesigns of the Nissan Sentra and Hyundai Sonata. Chevy Equinox and Pontiac Torrent aren't bad either, and if you can live with small interior door handles, a high price (in most cases), and a small trunk, the Mazda 3 isn't bad either. Skip the Rendezvous too-it has a terrible, poor-fitting interior, a V-6 that should've died after the Clinton Administration (or early in Dubya's), and its just an all-around crummy, awkward car that will be missed by almost nobody.

Thanks for all the help guys. It was a long night, but I hammered out a deal. A 2007 Impala LT in red with ABS/Traction + rear folding seats. I love the car and the pricing is fair. After my $4000 trade in -1500 rebate - $500 conquest -$2000 gmcard + tax + dealer fee of $159 + dmv od $37.50 for plate transfer + $7.50 tire disposal fee! <--ehh way too many fees! ;-) I am paying $15,600 cash tomorrow (or next friday if I don't have enough money, lol).

Before I sign on the dotted line, whadda you guys think for a 23 year old law student? Good car? It seems to drive nicely, the handling isn't fantastic, but i'm not a kid anymore, so I don't care much. It seems like a fantastic highway cruiser (plus the hwy milage is fantastic, i've seen people post 32mpg real world hwy, my accord got 22-24mpg highway, but back then I had a lead foot ;-) )

Thanks for all the help guys. It was a long night, but I hammered out a deal. A 2007 Impala LT in red with ABS/Traction + rear folding seats. I love the car and the pricing is fair. After my $4000 trade in -1500 rebate - $500 conquest -$2000 gmcard + tax + dealer fee of $159 + dmv od $37.50 for plate transfer + $7.50 tire disposal fee! <--ehh way too many fees! ;-) I am paying $15,600 cash tomorrow (or next friday if I don't have enough money, lol).

Before I sign on the dotted line, whadda you guys think for a 23 year old law student? Good car? It seems to drive nicely, the handling isn't fantastic, but i'm not a kid anymore, so I don't care much. It seems like a fantastic highway cruiser (plus the hwy milage is fantastic, i've seen people post 32mpg real world hwy, my accord got 22-24mpg highway, but back then I had a lead foot ;-) )

What state are you in? $23,600 seems like a lot for an Impala LT, even including tax. How much was it above invoice, excluding rebates? Check CarsDirect.com... I configured one and their net cost was $20,834. Even with 10% sales tax, it would still be less.

What state are you in? $23,600 seems like a lot for an Impala LT, even including tax. How much was it above invoice, excluding rebates? Check CarsDirect.com... I configured one and their net cost was $20,834. Even with 10% sales tax, it would still be less.

You may be right, but remember in NJ you are taxed on everything but the trade in, or at least that is what TWO chevy dealers already told me. Do my calculations seem sound?

Price I am paying is 22,117 (LT with two options, ABS/Traction $600 + Split rear seats $275)

-$4000 trade in

X 1.07

---------------------------------------

-$500 conquest

-$1500 rebate

-$2000 gmcard

$15385.19

They are charging me $15,400 (no biggie, $15 difference)

Then I have to pay $159 doc fees (whadda you gonna do eh?)

$7.50 tire disposal fee

and were gonna try to transfer plates, so just $37.50 DMV fee

$15,604 (there may be another $8-$9 fee) This is what I would have to pay out the door in cash.

David - what discount did the dealer give you (besides incentives, trade, and GM Card credits)?

empowah - I think $23600 is right for what he got, I configured an LT with ABS on GMbuypower and I think that's what the price was going to be after destination charge.

I can save a bit more money if I go with a BASE impala. I would loose these features:

Remote start

Alloy rims

ABS/Traction control - this is the biggie that is getting me to buy the more expensive package

rear fold seats

dual zone AC/HEAT

Truth be told I don't care much for the options, I just feel its important to have ABS brakes. What's your guys opinions? It would be an easier purchase to financially handle with the cheaper base model.

Here is the calculation of base model

_______

X 1.07

17, 967.5

- same $4000 in total rebates between $1500 - $500 conquest - $2000 gmcard

Total = $13967 (so dealer would probably round me upto $14,000

Are all those options worth $1400?

Is ABS necissary on such a large car?

Another option is, do you think I can try to force the dealer to find a base model with just ABS/Traction (thereby saving $900 and just losing alloy rims, remote start, rear folding seat, dual zone heat + ac).

I am leaning towards just sealing the deal as-is as they are offering a fair price for my trade in, and i'm getting sick of car shopping ;-)

Please give me your opinions, TIA!

David - what discount did the dealer give you (besides incentives, trade, and GM Card credits)?

empowah - I think $23600 is right for what he got, I configured an LT with ABS on GMbuypower and I think that's what the price was going to be after destination charge.

Well the dealer charged me just ~$22,150 NOT $23,600. I am basically paying invoice on this car remember it has abs/traction + the rear fold seat <--- cheapest car on their lot with ABS. My transmission is dead and the dealer is going to tow it for me (and still give me the $4000 credit for the trade in, and I get to utilize $1500 rebate $500 in conquest cash + $2000 of my gmcard money, my total discounts below invoice is $8000 (but I am taxed on $4000 of those discounts)).

Edited by DavidCL2

Ok, it seems like you're getting a good deal then. Did you check out the G6s? I think you could get an even better deal on it.

I just priced one:

2007 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A) MSRP: $18,730

Only options: ABS + Traction control ($400) and CD player ($75) plus destination brings MSRP to $19,855. If we start at $1xx over invoice, you're at $18,900.

$18900

-$4000 trade in = $14900 x 1.07 = ~15950 (really $15943)

$15950 - $2000 rebate - $2000 GM credits = $11900 - $500 conquest (not sure if it is the same as Impala, just guessing) = $11400 + ~$200 in fees = $11600 out the door, and I don't think you're getting much less car. You're getting a 4cyl instead of 6cyl, but it doesn't have that much less HP (~170 vs 210) and the Impala is no doubt heavier, so acceleration would probably be similar, and you'll get better gas mileage as well, plus you're out the door for $4k less.

David, WELCOME my friend! So happy you will be getting a GM vehicle, they have excellent products. I would consider the Impala myself over the G6 with the 4 cylinder, having said that either is an excellent option and the 2.4L Ecotec would have plenty of pep. I own a 2001 Impala wife's current car and love its size and great smooth ride (almost to floaty). I don't know if you have consider a new 2006 Lucerne CX that hasn't been sold yet, you might be able to almost steal one of those, they are an excellent car as well. If I went G6 I would opt for the V6 model or the GT trim, personally. Then again I am not on that tight of a budget when getting a car. The Vibe is a good choice but with options can get VERY pricey, and yes the motor is Toyota and only 1.8L's. The HHR is a great vehicle with excellent under-pinnings but styling is love it or hate. A Torrent is an excellent choice too, as I am kicking around getting a new GXP Torrent in the summer/fall for the wife who wants an SUV and let my son have the Impala. Look for a 2006 that is new on the lot never sold you can really make out pretty good cause it is the 'old' model year and were into MARCH! Good luck shopping hope it was a help, do look a the Lucerne CX they are an excellent car with a great platform and the 3800 has a darn nice power-band. Then again I am biased I drive a 2005 Bonneville SLE with a 3800!

Here is some Lucerne pricing on a 2006 CX model $25,990.00 is the base.

25,990.00 - 4,000.00 = 21,990.00 total with Honda trade.

21,990.00 - $2000 rebate - $2000 GM credits - $500 conquest = $17,490.00 without tax and all the other fees. It is actually a very good deal and you would be getting ALOT of car. But maybe you don't want a Buick. Good Luck in buying!

Edited by gm4life

Depends on the dealer, no they won't touch 11K but 15 or 16K is possible, all depends on how bad they want to move them. I could have gotten a NEW Buick Centry Limited back in 2006 as a 2005 model for $9,250.00 it had a $24,500.00 sticker on it, I thought about then said no way it is a Centry! I am not even kidding! I almost did it.

Hey guys, just checking in. I LOVE the Buick idea! If I can get into a lucerne for about the same money out the door (about $16k max after gmcard + trade in + whatever incentives are running + tax etc). Do you guys think that is even possible?

There seems to be a ton of left over lucerne's! This may work out.

There is a $3000 rebate direct from GM

I can use $2000 in GMcard money

I am not sure, but I don't think there is any conquest rebates available for 2006 model cars.

That $500 autoshow coupon I found before may be elligable too :)

The real questions becomes how desperate the dealers are to clear out the car.

I will make some calls in the morning, but I have a feeling it is going to be out of my budget by a few grand ($15600 after trade/gmcard is really as much as I can afford right now since i'm paying in cash).

Edited by DavidCL2

Invoice on a 2006 Lucerne with the only option being a CD player is $24,249. If you can get it at exactly invoice, and get $4k for your trade...

$24249 - $4000 = 20249 x 1.07 = 21666

21666 - 3000 - 2000 - 500 = $16166 + fees. If you can get it for $500 under invoice, which seems quite possible on a 2006 model to me, it's the same price as the Impala, more or less. I still think with the G6 you're getting a better deal at $11100 though.

Invoice on a 2006 Lucerne with the only option being a CD player is $24,249. If you can get it at exactly invoice, and get $4k for your trade...

$24249 - $4000 = 20249 x 1.07 = 21666

21666 - 3000 - 2000 - 500 = $16166 + fees. If you can get it for $500 under invoice, which seems quite possible on a 2006 model to me, it's the same price as the Impala, more or less. I still think with the G6 you're getting a better deal at $11100 though.

OMG, after giving the G6 some sereous thought it seems like the real value leader here. I called my parents and they love this idea. My sister is going to need a new car by the end of the summer. I am thinking about purchasing the G6 now, and by the summer (when I have some $) I can purchase myself a new car (my parents will pay me back for the cost of this car).

My sister is a calm girl, she doesn't even neeed ABS (not available on value edition model). The 4 cylinder should be peppy enough for her (and great on gas!).

I bet I can get someone to sell me the car for invoice if I agree to their crazy $200 doc fee ;-)

$17180

-

$4000 trade

$13180

X 1.07

-

$2000 rebate from bonus cash + customer rebate

- $1000 gmcard allowance (max allowance on a g6)

= $11,102 + $200-$300 doc fees = $11,400 and then possibly minus any conquest rebate or any autoshow rebate (not sure if either is applicable).

Dude, Northstar where you located???? I need to buy you a beer! I'm in NJ :)

I greatly apprechiate all your help guys. This sounds like the perfect car for my current budget. If there are no other rebates, ie, conquest or autoshow, is the impala worth $4000 more?

Quick searching on the internet and it appears there is a $1000 conquest rebate on the G6. This would mean about $10,500 OTD!

The impala is nice, but with the money I save on my sisters car, plus the money I save during the summer, I may be able to afford a CTS by the end of the summer (especially since they will be clearing out the old model year!)

Thanks again guys, and a special thanks to you Northstar for pointing my train of thought in the right direction!

As always i'll keep you guys posted. You guys make it so much less painful doing car shopping :)

Edited by DavidCL2

Haha, I'm in Illinois and I'm not yet 19 (in a couple days I will be) so you'd be supplying alcohol to a minor :P

I would get ABS if your sister is just starting to drive, but if you really feel it's not needed then you can save the $400. I think you'll have a hard time finding one without ABS, but maybe not.

Haha, I'm in Illinois and I'm not yet 19 (in a couple days I will be) so you'd be supplying alcohol to a minor :P

I would get ABS if your sister is just starting to drive, but if you really feel it's not needed then you can save the $400. I think you'll have a hard time finding one without ABS, but maybe not.

Suprisingly after searching local inventory I found the opposite. It's easy to find a base G6 with absolutely no options (value package). It's the same situation as the Impala, to get ABS you need to purchase a car with a ton of other options. I think the value package will work out. It is a much lighter car so ABS hopefully is not necissary for the car to be safe (only a test drive will confirm this).

Happy soon to be B-day buddy! Is that your GTO in the pic? Dat car rocks!

Yeah, that's my GTO. Thanks for the compliments.

Good luck with the purchase, glad I could be of assistance. FYI, invoice on the G6 1SV including destination is $16880. So say you get them to $17000...

$13000 x 1.07 after trade = 13900 - 2000 rebate - 1000 conquest - 1000 GM card - 500 auto show bonus = $9400 + fees so probably about $9600 OTD.

Yeah, that's my GTO. Thanks for the compliments.

Good luck with the purchase, glad I could be of assistance. FYI, invoice on the G6 1SV including destination is $16880. So say you get them to $17000...

$13000 x 1.07 after trade = 13900 - 2000 rebate - 1000 conquest - 1000 GM card - 500 auto show bonus = $9400 + fees so probably about $9600 OTD.

Dude, I owe you again! I took for granted the invoice listed on carsdirect (apparently it's off by a few hundred dollars).

I think the autoshow discount is for a different state, but I sure as hell will try to see if it's valid. I may be able to walk out with a new car for about $10k out of pocket. And hopefully a caddy come summer time ;-) I will still have ~$2550 of GMcard money left over after this transaction :)

Btw, just wondering how were you able to afford such a nice car at your age? Trade stocks or something? You sure know how to find out pricing information, I bet you got one hell of a deal on that GTO! I read about a $5000 roundup GMcard rebate on the 2004 model (I should have bought one then!). Back then it was using an ls1 engine, but hell 350hp after all discounts was like $22k OTD. I shoulda never bought that Accord, TWO transmission in just 73,000 miles (I may be a little rough on it, but still it's a design defect).

Edited by DavidCL2

Hey guys, just got back from the dealer. Wow, great call Northstar, the G6 (even the value package with an I4) drives fantastic! Real Sporty!

They are coming to check out my trade-in in the next hour, I hope this all works out :)

The car is a bit noisy, but hell I can live with that. It makes the impala feel like an old person car ;-)

Btw, just wondering how were you able to afford such a nice car at your age? Trade stocks or something? You sure know how to find out pricing information, I bet you got one hell of a deal on that GTO! I read about a $5000 roundup GMcard rebate on the 2004 model (I should have bought one then!). Back then it was using an ls1 engine, but hell 350hp after all discounts was like $22k OTD. I shoulda never bought that Accord, TWO transmission in just 73,000 miles (I may be a little rough on it, but still it's a design defect).

Well, we needed another car and I convinced my dad to look at one (it was used with 6xxx miles). I'm still not really too sure how I convinced him to buy it, but I'm not complaining :lol: So really it's not "my" car, but I'm fortunate enough to be the one that gets to drive it.

Hey guys, just got back from the dealer. Wow, great call Northstar, the G6 (even the value package with an I4) drives fantastic! Real Sporty!

They are coming to check out my trade-in in the next hour, I hope this all works out :)

The car is a bit noisy, but hell I can live with that. It makes the impala feel like an old person car ;-)

Glad you liked it. Hopefully you get the same on your trade and can get them down to the $9600 or so OTD.

Ok, here's the final numbers (it's depressing my trade is really not worth much).

$17358.38

-$3500 trade

$13,858.38

X 1.07

$14,828.46

-$2000 gm direct rebates ($1000 rebate + $1000 bonus rebate in lieu of 0% financing)

-$1000 Conquest rebate (non gm car in household)

-$1000 GMcard rebate

$10,828.46

+$109.95 (dealer doc fees)

+$67.50 (state registration fee)

$11,005.92

THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!

I will take pics of the car as soon as I can.

I am making a down payment tomorrow and making my final payment (and purchase :) ) on friday! I can't wait.

Edited by DavidCL2