Canada's new budget will add $4,000 tax to SUVs

autoblog

The Canadian government's new proposed budget includes both a $2,000 incentive for buying fuel efficient vehicles like hybrids and a $4,000 tax for purchasing less efficient models like SUVs. Unfortunately, the Detroit News article doesn't specify how the budget determines what vehicles qualify for the fuel efficiency rebate and which get dinged with the heavy tax.

I was a little pissed when these taxes were announced by the Conservative government that I voted for. I voted for them because I hoped that this WOULDN'T happen.

I am all for giving incentives for fuel efficient vehicles, and I think it's a great idea to reward people for buying more fuel efficient vehicles... especially the people who are stretched for cash. But I don't believe in punishing people for buying SUV's and large displacement vehicles.

However, it seems it'll be very few SUV's and vehicles that will get tagged with the $4K. Most will be tariffed $1000 - $2000.

Trucks are exempt, of course. So now I'm trying to figure out if the Avalanche is a Truck or an SUV. :lol:

Trucks are exempt, of course. So now I'm trying to figure out if the Avalanche is a Truck or an SUV. :lol:

Such exemptions are ridiculous. Business should be encouraged to buy more fuel-efficient vehicles just as much as individuals, and it would certainly encourage the application of expensive technologies such as common-rail diesels with NOx reduction technology. Forget the Avalanche, a crewcab pickup based on a large truck such as the Chevy Kodiak will also be exempt. Show up at the local Walmart in a monster truck, funded by the tax exemption, that'll show em ;)

http://www.monroetruck.com/GM/index.html

Such exemptions are ridiculous. Business should be encouraged to buy more fuel-efficient vehicles just as much as individuals, and it would certainly encourage the application of expensive technologies such as common-rail diesels with NOx reduction technology. Forget the Avalanche, a crewcab pickup based on a large truck such as the Chevy Kodiak will also be exempt. Show up at the local Walmart in a monster truck, funded by the tax exemption, that'll show em ;)

http://www.monroetruck.com/GM/index.html

:lol:

We don't have a Wal-Mart in my city. Wal-Mart went so far to make their proposed store have a wind turbine for power, have a system where rain water would be used in lieu of the municipal system, and the SMALL parking lot would be totally sheltered and shaded by trees... not to mention it was next to major bus routes. Oh... and it would be lit with natural light... not artificially.

Rejected.

So my other option would be pulling up to Greenpeace's office or the Sierra Club's. That'd make for sume good times.

I do like those Kodiak's :D

Edited by Captainbooyah

It's beginning to sound a lot like an election! Harper is just shuffling the deck and doing what most politicians do at election time: trying to be all things to all people. Most of the SUVs have a $800 tax on them already (which you then pay PST and GST on, by the way! The Avalanche is classified as a pick up, so you pay no tax; whereas, the Suburban (on which it is based) you will.

More of the tree-hugging appearing to be doing something rather than actually doing something. The Impala with "flex-fuel" will qualify for a $1,000 rebate. Good thing we ordered a lot of those already. All of this is nothing compared to the havoc Kyoto will create when (if?) implemented.

They should jack up our gas taxes (already double that of our American cousins) to match Europe BUT use the extra revenue to fix our f%$king roads, highways and transit. I mean, the Don Valley Parkway is older than I am and is jammed on Christmas Day, for Gawd's Sake! Instead, Ottawa will just pussy foot around the issue, strangle the large urban areas of any useful cash to DO something about gridlock and the white flight will continue in Toronto.

Thw answer is, move to Delaware, home of tax free shopping! NO sales tax here!

It's also home to the place where J.C. Penny handles all their returned merchanidise! Whoo-Hooo!

I don't recall Wayne's World making fun of Canada, but they did burn Delaware, so you've already lost! :D

More of the tree-hugging appearing to be doing something rather than actually doing something. The Impala with "flex-fuel" will qualify for a $1,000 rebate. Good thing we ordered a lot of those already. All of this is nothing compared to the havoc Kyoto will create when (if?) implemented.

Did you really order FF Impalas? Are there any E85 stations in Toronto? The only one I know of is in Ottawa. I've never even seen an Impala on the road with the little FF sticker on the back but I have seen a couple of Tahoes with it. Shows how silly this is, buy a FF vehicle and save $1000 but there is no stations that sell the fuel.

Amazon.com's warehouse for the east coast his here, Walmart's Midatlantic distrubtion center is here GM's kappa plant, DuPont Company, all the major banks, Most fortune 500 companies incorporated here, unemployment at 3% and we have Nascar track, beaches 1.5 hours away, Philly 30 minutes away, baltimore and hour, washington and new York 2 hours away, oh and again I say NO SALES TAX!!!! That's cool, stay in the great white north!

What's the unemployment rate in Canada again! :smilewide:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I guess this may be a case of putting the cart before the horse. Service Centers have to be convinced to carry ethanol because there are customers out there capable of using the fuel, I guess. I've seen a few Silverados with the flexfuel stickers, too. I guess it is a start.

Why don't they just ban SUVs. That's the next step, right? It's fun telling people how to live.

I have a bad feeling that New York State is already a few years away from implimenting their own SUV tax. Though, they won't do it to "save" the environment, they'll just do it to make an extra buck.

They should jack up our gas taxes (already double that of our American cousins) to match Europe BUT use the extra revenue to fix our f%$king roads, highways and transit. I mean, the Don Valley Parkway is older than I am and is jammed on Christmas Day, for Gawd's Sake! Instead, Ottawa will just pussy foot around the issue, strangle the large urban areas of any useful cash to DO something about gridlock and the white flight will continue in Toronto.

I would guess your "white flight" people are the same group of people who stopped things like the Allen Expressway being useful by ensuring it stopped at Eglinton rather than make it downtown.

I feel sorry for people who choose to drive from the burbs to downtown T.O. for work rather than live downtown or get a job closer to home.

Amazon.com's warehouse for the east coast his here, Walmart's Midatlantic distrubtion center is here GM's kappa plant, DuPont Company, all the major banks, Most fortune 500 companies incorporated here, unemployment at 3% and we have Nascar track, beaches 1.5 hours away, Philly 30 minutes away, baltimore and hour, washington and new York 2 hours away, oh and again I say NO SALES TAX!!!! That's cool, stay in the great white north!

What's the unemployment rate in Canada again! :smilewide:

That's it-honey, we're packing our bags! :thumbsup:

Any room left for me in that little state? :AH-HA_wink: