Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

HD Question

I would just like some honest opinions on the new HD's. To me it seems like GM dropped the ball with these trucks. The half tons get a new frame and well everything, while the hd's keep the same frame with maybe a few mods. I know there are a lot of people out there that would like to see a straight axle on the front, I'm one of them. I know IFS rides better and is "strong" but its just not the same. It seems like every construction company or what ever where trucks get used hard all use ford or dodge. I believe the front end is a big player in that. Why would they keep it relativly unchanged? Now with ford and dodge getting new diesels it seems GM will have a harder time competing. I know the Duramax pulls great and the Allison is a good trans, but with only a 3.73 axle ratio, compared to optional 4.10's in ford and dodge, and even a 4.30 in the ford Gm probably won't be making it to the finish line first in the pulling compotitions. I'm not trying to start an arguement, nor am I a troll, I've had seven chevy trucks, the last two being HD's, but I don't know if a new interior and body is enough to keep me around. What does everyone think. Am i being too picky or has anyone else had these thoughts? Oh, and the tires and wheels. With GM adding 17's it seems like they think it's the greatest thing, where you can get 20's on a ford. Also, sitting next to a ford or dodge the chevy and gmc just don't look as "tough". Ok I think I'm done now.

Given Ford's recent squabbles and problems with the Powerstroke, I think Ford should be more worried about their HDs than GM. Dodge has always been behind with their diesels and unless they're about to make a huge leap there, I still don't think they'll out do the Duramax.

Isn't a new Duramax coming anyway?

Not sure. But uhh I think the new GMT-900 HD's are right on par and GREAT looking trucks saw a 2007 Silver Birch 2500HD Extend Cab 4WD LTZ the other day and drooled over it, and then the driver goosed it and the 6.6L Duramax roared to life and the rear end slid out from under him and I knew it was good for all 360hp and 650lbft. of torque no questions asked! Ford and Dodge just got... :pokeowned:

Don't get all caught up in "new!!".

If the frame is competitive with others on the market, it does not matter in the least how many model years old it is. Did you ever have any defects or problems or weaknesses with your HD frames? No? Then what's the problem?

My brother ran a straight axle 1-ton GMC for years, he recently bought an '07 GMT-800 3500 Duramax and says it rides so much better. This is a dually utility body with a diesel carrier- it goes offroad daily to service machines, it plows snow, it hauls equipment & trailers. He has no desire to go back to a straight axle.

Did you have any IS axle problems on your trucks, or do you know anyone who's broken them? Or is this just a perception issue ('Straight axles are tough, IS is for pansies' sort of thing?)

Duramax with 3.73s will spin the tires on dry payment, with a 6-speed you don't need 4.10s. It's not a deficiency unless you are in a bench-hauling ('bench-racing') competition... in other words; a brochure pissing contest, which sounds like your scenario from here ("GM probably won't be making it to the finish line first in the pulling compotitions.") Are you staging towing races with your Chevy and some Fords & Dodges??

I currently drive an '04 2500 HD Duramax, tho I have not yet towed with it. I have zero complaints and I could care less what Joe Blow on the jobsite has under his rig; mine suits my needs fantastically.

My company mainly uses gm hd pickups and there great, we find that the 6.0 can tow almost anything and the duramax has almost too much power, the fords powerstrokes dont start easy in the cold, and cost too much. Dodge um yeah have you seen how thin the frames on them are, nice for street trucks. Maybe back in 1991 you could make an arguement over ifs and straight axles but its b.s. these days The new 900 hds dont need a new frame because the current 800 hd frame was that damn good

I would just like some honest opinions on the new HD's. To me it seems like GM dropped the ball with these trucks. The half tons get a new frame and well everything, while the hd's keep the same frame with maybe a few mods. I know there are a lot of people out there that would like to see a straight axle on the front, I'm one of them. I know IFS rides better and is "strong" but its just not the same. It seems like every construction company or what ever where trucks get used hard all use ford or dodge. I believe the front end is a big player in that. Why would they keep it relativly unchanged? Now with ford and dodge getting new diesels it seems GM will have a harder time competing. I know the Duramax pulls great and the Allison is a good trans, but with only a 3.73 axle ratio, compared to optional 4.10's in ford and dodge, and even a 4.30 in the ford Gm probably won't be making it to the finish line first in the pulling compotitions. I'm not trying to start an arguement, nor am I a troll, I've had seven chevy trucks, the last two being HD's, but I don't know if a new interior and body is enough to keep me around. What does everyone think. Am i being too picky or has anyone else had these thoughts? Oh, and the tires and wheels. With GM adding 17's it seems like they think it's the greatest thing, where you can get 20's on a ford. Also, sitting next to a ford or dodge the chevy and gmc just don't look as "tough". Ok I think I'm done now.

The only mistake I think GM made was not keeping up with the towing rating of Ford. GM's I think is 16700 lbs, and Ford's is higher. I know a construction business that buys Fords for their HD pickups because of this, even though they have Chevy's for their light duty units. I haven't driven the latest Ford super duty's, but a few years ago GM was far ahead in ride, comfort, and handling. You had to 'herd' those first super duty's down the road. Handling was terrible compared to GM.

I have been working HD Chevys hard for 22 years. I have had the old C/K trucks, the GMT400, and GMT800 and all performed exceptionally well. If I had any doubts about GM's IFS, they evaporated back in 1988. It is a tough and durable front suspension that simply puts a solid axle to shame in the handling and ride categories while enduring everything I've ever thrown at it . No failures. Not one. Ever.

The Duramax is the best diesel on the planet and the allison is the best transmission - period.

I had always hated diesels until I drove this combo, now I will never choose anything else for a work truck.

Like I said, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers. I just wanted to see what others thought. I have not had any problems with my IFS either, just kinda wanted to see a SFA in the HD's. Reading other forums, even this one, there are several comments from others who would like to see GM go back to a SFA. I tow a 28 ft fifth wheel with mine 3 or 4 times a year, and a mowing trailer most of the time during the week and don't really have any power complaints, but I have a Quadzilla stealth tuner set at 50hp. I have a 2002 so the extra power of the stealth is nice. Having an option to get 4.10's would be great especially for those like myself who get bigger tires. No, I don't plan on racing other trucks, but every magazine or even GM when they had their press release had ford and dodge to compare pulling trailers inwhich they used the 6.0 powerstroke and 5.9 cummins instead of the new 6.4 and 6.7. I know the new duramax has tons of power even compared to mine and pulling is a lot easier, but what I'm saying is comparing it to a new cummins when the truck has 4.10's, I just don't see GM getting to the top of the hill first while towing anymore.

If you go to edmunds and do a search they had a 3 way comparison last year with the GM, Ford, and Dodge. That will give you a good indication of what they are capable of. They did towing, stopping all kinds of random tests.

the reason gm did not raise its gcvwr is because if it exceeds 26000 lbs.. the drver would need a class B liscense... so... I think the truck is much more capable than 26k lbs... but... regaurdless... trucks are as powerful as the government will let general population drive...

you must remember these aren't commercial trucks... technically...

but... anywho lets compare... I've gota 8.1 with 5speed alyson 2001 ext... my buddy a 8.1 5speed alyson 2002 crew...

my mom has a v10 f350 2003... when she pulls her 4 horse trailer up this hill she crawls up at 30-35mphm...

when my buddy pulls his toy haller fully loaded with his furnature... 75 mph...

Tex, perhaps instead of asking why GM doesn't go back to SFA you could give us a reason why one is needed. As far as wanting 4.10 gears because you are putting larger tires on it, that sounds like the aftermarket should be providing that as the stock tires seem to need work well with the 3.73s.

I wouldn't say a bad thing about the GM trucks. And they are underrated for towing capability simply becuase to tow much over about 16,000-lbs, you need a CDL, so if Ford boasts that you can buy a truck that tows 24,000 some odd pounds, then let it, and when Joe Blow that doesn't have a CDL comes in to buy one to tow his stuff, is Ford going to pay for his extra license requirement? No. As far as SFA, there's no point in it, IFS systems have gotten too good to want to go back 20 years to an SFA arrangement. I don't have a duramax powered truck, but I've driven several, and I can't complain about anything that they can do. I however, CAN complain about Ford and Dodge. The Ford (especially with the 6.0L PowerJoke) is a POS and the transmission seems to always want to search when towing. Dodge, the transmission is better, but still, I don't like its ride too much, seems a little too stiff, too harsh. I know that's kinda picking nits, but that's basically what the auto rags are having to do anyway when they get these trucks from the manufacturers, they're typically that damned good.