Solstice, Sky problems I wasn't aware of...

Apparently the kappa twins have issues with not only a leaky differential but a leaky rag top. Does anyone know if these are things GM is trying to fix? There's a TSB for the differential leak, but I would hope GM has issued a fix at the factory or supplier for that, but the leaky top also needs to be rectified.

Makes it kinda hard to argue on the side of GM when a couple of their shining stars are a little tarnished, ya know?

That's why I always argue on the side of toyota; they're perfect.

And no; GM is not trying to fix anything that's wrong; in fact I heard thru the insider grapevine that both cars will be cancelled and Wilmington will be shuttered because of this; it's more cost efffective. :wink:

Edited by balthazar

And no; GM is not trying to fix anything that's wrong; in fact I heard thru the insider grapevine that both cars will be cancelled and Wilmington will be shuttered because of this; it's more cost efffective.

<_<

The reason I ask is because people who have purchased either vehicle as late as last month are still experiencing the problem.

Smartass.

I've had my rear differential checked early last fall, per the TSB, and it wasn't leaking (also, there's been no sign of leakage on my garage floor or more importantly on the rear suspension). As for the transmission notice (you didn't mention this one), my Aisin 5-speed auto already had the metal tube installed at the factory; those with the plastic tube were the ones that needed to be replaced (issue: water was entering through this venting tube and contaminating the trans fluid, damaging the trans). The Aisin 5-sppeds, auto & manual, are the same as in the Colorado/Canyon and CTS; however, they are up off the ground more in those vehicles and in the SKY/Solstice too low to the ground. They sucked water in rahter than venting water out. A few owners I know over on skyroadster.com needed to get new transmissions. As for the top, those owners that are having leak issues (at the rear of the top btw) have had a newly designed top replaced by their dealership by GM. I have not had any leak issues - my car was in two heavy rainstorms and several car washes with no wetness in the interior or trunk.

Now I have a pretty early build - April of 2006, and mine was the 1,366 off the line (assuming the last five #'s of the VIN truly represent the build #'s; that's according to the Solstice/SKY forum). Now another thing to consider is that as of March 27, I have only put 1,299 miles total on my car. As I intend to drive it more this year, I'll update if I experience any problems. Trust me, I keep up with the issues as posted on the Solstice/SKY forums and whenever I visit my dealer's service department.

It definitely seems like GM is trying their best to keep a roll on continual little upgrades and fixes--they said as much, not long ago--but as always, problems are problems and some should have been gone before the first were produced. The top on the Kappas has always been a bit iffy, but as GMTruckGuy said, apparently has seen some upgrades, and the differential...well, GM has had issues with that for years, and still can't seem to straighten it out.

CTS's with the same rear have been having them fail in various ways since intro, and it's still happening on '07s, not to mention present here on the Kappas. That alone is one big issue that should have been fixed years ago, but still doesn't seem to have been much at all. IRS rear diffs just don't seem to be their strong suit, for whatever reason.

Still, they are keeping a very close eye on all the Kappas for sure, and are making little changes here and there continually and not just at model year switchovers, so that's good. Just is a bit questionable why certain things really weren't 100% ironed out earlier. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, because most Solstice and Sky owners are infatuated with their cars, as is even most media--they'd just be that much better with another couple of months of development.

To this extent, I wonder if anyone here also might have a more up to date list of what they've been playing with as of late--anything in particular? Should be some more significant things for '08 then, too.

Edited by caddycruiser

• 1 month later...

We really should not be suprised that something built by humans has issues. Hell, go to Miatanet.com and read about how "perfect" the Miata is (not.)

Then go to WWW.Scionlife.com. and read about sunroof rattles and electrical issues and...

(Enter sarcam mode)

It is just sooo obvious that Mazda and Toyota are perfect while everthing G.M. touches is a total steaming pile.

(exist Sarcasm mode)

Chris

And no; GM is not trying to fix anything that's wrong; in fact I heard thru the insider grapevine that both cars will be cancelled and Wilmington will be shuttered because of this; it's more cost efffective. :wink:

Last I heard some Japanese buisinessman was going to build Luxury Condo's on the Wilington site.

Plant demolition starts next Tuesday.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Isn't it the Z06 that has had so many problems with the tops delaminating and letting go into traffic?

A little leak ain't that bad comparitively.... LOL

I'm sure there will be a TSB on it down the road. Every new platform needs bugs worked out here and there.... if tops DO leak I wonder if there will be any extra warranty protection to those affected?