April 2007: Honda Motors Sales

haha, they had to give their spin based on 'daily selling rate' HAHA. the SPIN, the SPIN.

Acura, in the crapper.

Look at those Accord hybrid numbers!

I wonder what all the greenies think of that. Not even Honda can make a business case for a hybrid now. The ecojerks think every car should be hybrid, but hey, who's gonna write the check for you?

Look, the Ridgeline is going further into the toilet. Element is taking it in the shorts too.

S2000. NICHE? YOU THINK? go kappa.

Odyssey is even taking it in the shorts. And its a decent van. Maybe minivans are dead. Bad for DCX if that's the deal.

Acuras sedans are taking it in the shorts too. Wow, 20-30% declines.

Honda's PR didn't make it sound bad but look at the model sales and there is a buttload of reason to be concerned in Honda land. Take out Honda's cheaper established core models (accord, CRV, civic) and there is not much for Honda to be pleased about.

Edited by regfootball

Accord Hybird are down since they have V6's and were aimed at 'enthusiasts' who wanted some power. But, they want power only.

One can't base the entire Hybrid car market on 1 product. Pruis sales are up for example.

Honda can only go so far, though. The CRV seems to be their huge seller now.

Accord Hybird are down since they have V6's and were aimed at 'enthusiasts' who wanted some power. But, they want power only.

One can't base the entire Hybrid car market on 1 product. Pruis INCENTIVES are up for example.

Honda can only go so far, though. The CRV seems to be their huge seller now.

CORRECTED FOR ACCURACY.

haha, they had to give their spin based on 'daily selling rate' HAHA. the SPIN, the SPIN.

Honda's Release:

" TORRANCE, Calif., May 1 /PRNewswire/ -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc.,

posted sales of 126,419 Honda and Acura vehicles in April, down 1.6 percent

on a daily-selling-rate basis*, the company announced today"

GM's Release:

"DETROIT - GM dealers in the United States delivered 311,687 vehicles in April, a reduction of 2.2 percent on a sales-day-adjusted basis. GM's April retail sales of 228,465 were up 3.6 percent, on a sales-day-adjusted basis. There were two fewer selling days in April this year. "

In case you are new to these releases (which I know you aren't), DSR is the standard way or reporting monthly

auto sales. But thanks for including that so, in case there was ANY doubt, I knew I could safely skip the rest of your post.

But honestly, Honda's sales aren't that great right now. If it wasn't for the Fit and remodeled CRV, they'd be in serious trouble.

As for Acura, the MDX should be doing better than last year's tired model, RDX isn't meeting expectations, and the RL should be euthanized. Even with the lower priced trim levels, Acura only sold 658 of them last month. The RL must be the lowest-selling midsize luxury sedan on the market.

But honestly, Honda's sales aren't that great right now. If it wasn't for the Fit and remodeled CRV, they'd be in serious trouble.

As for Acura, the MDX should be doing better than last year's tired model, RDX isn't meeting expectations, and the RL should be euthanized. Even with the lower priced trim levels, Acura only sold 658 of them last month. The RL must be the lowest-selling midsize luxury sedan on the market.

closed circuit to siegen......

:pokeowned:

there are far to many hondas with 20-30% drops.

that's why it doesn't matter whether it's reported 'per sales day' or by any other method, Honda is taking it in the shorts.

The RDX is not worth it for a four cylinder SUV to be 38 grand. Maybe they should have got a clue and put a v6 in it. The MDX is a well turned out piece that unfortunately is too expensive and tries to aspire in price range that really only Euros deserve, considering it does not have the panache of a Euro. Plus it has no cargo space and lacks mpg. Otherwise, it's quite nice. Too bad they abandoned the RSX type cars which helped define their brand. Where Acura is failing is in simple things. their cars lack power and styling and ultimate performance compared to what everyone really wants (Euro cars). Where Honda is failing is over-relying on products/experiments like the Ridgeline and Element which have seen declines. The Civic's appeal is too narrow. The new Accord will make a good splash when it comes out, but right now its getting drowned by the Camry. Personally, I hope the new Accord kills the Camry and takes back some sales from Altima as well.

I bet the secret braintrust back in Hirosaki or wherever are colluding in Japan right now to try to negotiate which brands should gain back sales now that Toyota is cannibalizing all the other Japanese brands. The folks over there must know that the folks here are starting to awake to Toyota's big bucket of fluff and the backlash will soon ensue, and that Toyota excelling too greatly will actually endanger the other Jap anese brands at some point.

Edited by regfootball

• 4 weeks later...

that's why it doesn't matter whether it's reported 'per sales day' or by any other method, Honda is taking it in the shorts.

In the future I would suggest squandering your reputation on things that at least "matter".

The RDX is not worth it for a four cylinder SUV to be 38 grand. Maybe they should have got a clue and put a v6 in it. The MDX is a well turned out piece that unfortunately is too expensive and tries to aspire in price range that really only Euros deserve, considering it does not have the panache of a Euro. Plus it has no cargo space and lacks mpg. Otherwise, it's quite nice. Too bad they abandoned the RSX type cars which helped define their brand. Where Acura is failing is in simple things. their cars lack power and styling and ultimate performance compared to what everyone really wants (Euro cars). Where Honda is failing is over-relying on products/experiments like the Ridgeline and Element which have seen declines. The Civic's appeal is too narrow. The new Accord will make a good splash when it comes out, but right now its getting drowned by the Camry. Personally, I hope the new Accord kills the Camry and takes back some sales from Altima as well.

RDX and RL are misses.

MDX is priced very well and is an excellent product. In the May Car and Driver it won the 8 suv sub-$50K shootout. It beat the likes of the X5, Land Rover, Lexus 470, Volvo XC90, and SRX. It was the least expensive and offered the second best 0-60 and best skid pad (0.86... next closest was 0.81).

The TSX will likely be replaced this year and the TL the next. I am not sure what will happen with the TSX (hoping for a turbo 4 with SH-AWD), but the TL should have the same 300+ HP that the competition are offering at a similar price. Acura should also be getting a new coupe as well as the new NSX. Acura should do fine with this new product.

There is no one who would reasonably think that Honda is "over-relying" on cars like the Ridgeline and the Element. No doubt they are goofy, but they each account for ~3% of Honda's sales.

Edited by GXT

Honda used to be known for restrained, refined styling.

They had almost an Audiesque thing about them.

Increasingly their designs are getting more and more oddball.

I'll bet that is why they are losing sales.

I know that's why I don't like them as much as I used too. A lot of their new products are just not...attractive.

In the future I would suggest squandering your reputation on things that at least "matter".

RDX and RL are misses.

MDX is priced very well and is an excellent product. In the May Car and Driver it won the 8 suv sub-$50K shootout. It beat the likes of the X5, Land Rover, Lexus 470, Volvo XC90, and SRX. It was the least expensive and offered the second best 0-60 and best skid pad (0.86... next closest was 0.81).

The TSX will likely be replaced this year and the TL the next. I am not sure what will happen with the TSX (hoping for a turbo 4 with SH-AWD), but the TL should have the same 300+ HP that the competition are offering at a similar price. Acura should also be getting a new coupe as well as the new NSX. Acura should do fine with this new product.

There is no one who would reasonably think that Honda is "over-relying" on cars like the Ridgeline and the Element. No doubt they are goofy, but they each account for ~3% of Honda's sales.

This kinda goes in the "who cares" bin, bottom line is that they are hurting (a bit) and things are not going to change overnight. Gas prices are going to hit slap sales down a bit further. Lux cars in general are going to take a hit, as even

Caddy is going to feel the sting here....

The Ridgeline is in trouble, but I'm a bit surprised about the Element-as it is pretty decent on gas....

Edited by daves87rs

The element is an older design. It is heavy for a 4 cyl. vehicle. My wife loves it but I wouldn't buy it for various reasons.

The Ridgeline just plain looks like ass...

Chris