Can't stand it anymore...

Okay...

... for YEARS I've been dealing with bad sinus conditions, FREQUENT sinus infections (to the point of having high fevers, shaking, etc.), constant sinus headaches from not draining, etc. I NEVER blow my nose. No matter how full my head is, nothing ever drains. I've gone to 2 ENTs, and they've both said basically, "you're kinda screwed."

So, for the past 2 months, literally, I have not been able to breathe through my nose because of allergies... my sinuses have been full, my head in pain, and nothing is budging. It's hard on my students because when my nose is this full, they can't hear my pronunciation correctly, and it impacts their learning to a degree.

Yesterday, for no reason, things moved in my sinuses and now I can't hear well through my right ear... it's clogged.

As for things I've tried: warm showers, sitting over hot steam, drinking hot cups of tea, decongestants, allergy pills, antibiotics, local honey, and even a Neti pot--which has worked on rare occasions, but I find it very uncomfortable.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried standing on your head? :breakdance: I'm not kidding, try getting your head lower than the rest of your body. I have a bar that I have between the archway of a door that I hang from and do situps from for exercise. I have clamp with a strap that attaches to the bar at my ankles, this allows me to hang upside down. I have found that by doing this some of the side effects are no more, sinus infections, back pain or allergies. It also Increases blood flow to the brain and I'm a half inch taller than I was when I started this a year ago.

I started doing this to get some great abs, everything else was just a bonus.

I've been going to a chiropractor for 4+ years and it has since removed my sinus infections completely.

Wait wait wait... where have I heard this before? I think someone told me this once about a chiropractor helping their sinuses... but let me ask you, did you go simply for that or was it just a plus?

Have you tried standing on your head? :breakdance: I'm not kidding, try getting your head lower than the rest of your body. I have a bar that I have between the archway of a door that I hang from and do situps from for exercise. I have clamp with a strap that attaches to the bar at my ankles, this allows me to hang upside down. I have found that by doing this some of the side effects are no more, sinus infections, back pain or allergies. It also Increases blood flow to the brain and I'm a half inch taller than I was when I started this a year ago.

I started doing this to get some great abs, everything else was just a bonus.

I can't imagine getting my fat ass upside down on a bar, but I'll give it a shot sometime LOL

HAHA, try this?

sorry i can't help, only crap i get is usually 1 cold a year. i don't have seasonal allergies.

Thanks Loki, yes, I have one... I guess the brand I have is called Neti... when I wrote above I have a "neti pot" I assumed that's what they were all called. :AH-HA_wink:

It works at times, but it's very uncomfortable.. you pass water up through your sinuses... on the way through, all the allergens in your mucous cause you to have this burning sensation to sneeze, but you never do.

cappy, Paulie would look so cute driving in to school in his Century wearing that really cool suit. :scratchchin:

My students HATE my Century.

I've gone to 2 ENTs, and they've both said basically, "you're kinda screwed."

Do you possibly have a deviated septum? If the nasal passages aren't structured/sized correctly, it's my understanding that it also impedes flow of air/mucosa in and out of the sinus passages.

I am plugged up all the time and I have to blow my nose fiercely to seem to clear it up. Between that, Claritin and the Vicks inhaler stick I carry in my briefcase, I manage.

Chiropractor? Hmmm. I did a chiropractor thread a while back for the sprain I endured falling off an air mattress into frigid Lake Tahoe and jerking while hitting the water. The sprain went away so gradually, even with the treatments, that it was impossible to see if it was time or the treatments that mitigated it. After the pain had subsided completely, he still wanted me to come in for adjustments. I declined. I don't see how that could have helped, as I feel completely ok. I would have just parted with money. But you can do what you want.

Here is a thing that worked for me.

Herbal Pills

It has absolutely no side effects as it is herbal. It not only stops you from having sinuses but increases your immune system. Many times sinuses are caused by extreme heat in the body. Like when you wake up, do you feel your body is burning? Or for example, when you wake up, take a moist cold towel and put it on your lower back. If you feel cold burning your skin, it is probably your body is generating excessive heat.

That heat can be from many things, may be indigestion, stress, or improper liver functions.

Another thing to try is go to acupuncture. See if you have a medical school of alternative medicine close to your area. Usually they charge you like $15 per visit, and that includes about 60 minutes of therapy. The trick here is how good the doctor is to find the exact cause of the sinuses, so that he can use those pressure points to release your sinuses.

Pontiac_C_S's method is not bad either in. In Yoga it is called Half Shoulderstand -- Ardha Sarvangasana

Promotes proper thyroid function, strengthens abdomen, stretches upper back, improves blood circulation, induces relaxation

You probably remember doing this as a kid. Lie on your back and lift your legs up into air. Place your hands on your lower back for support, resting your elbows and lower arms on the ground. Make sure your weight is on your shoulders and mid to upper back -- not your neck. Breathe deeply and hold for at the posture for at least 5-10 breaths, increasing the hold over time. To come down, slowly lower your legs, keeping them very straight -- a little workout for your abdominal muscles.

Here is a thing that worked for me.

Herbal Pills

It has absolutely no side effects as it is herbal. It not only stops you from having sinuses but increases your immune system. Many times sinuses are caused by extreme heat in the body. Like when you wake up, do you feel your body is burning? Or for example, when you wake up, take a moist cold towel and put it on your lower back. If you feel cold burning your skin, it is probably your body is generating excessive heat.

That heat can be from many things, may be indigestion, stress, or improper liver functions.

Another thing to try is go to acupuncture. See if you have a medical school of alternative medicine close to your area. Usually they charge you like $15 per visit, and that includes about 60 minutes of therapy. The trick here is how good the doctor is to find the exact cause of the sinuses, so that he can use those pressure points to release your sinuses.

Pontiac_C_S's method is not bad either in. In Yoga it is called Half Shoulderstand -- Ardha Sarvangasana

Promotes proper thyroid function, strengthens abdomen, stretches upper back, improves blood circulation, induces relaxation

You probably remember doing this as a kid. Lie on your back and lift your legs up into air. Place your hands on your lower back for support, resting your elbows and lower arms on the ground. Make sure your weight is on your shoulders and mid to upper back -- not your neck. Breathe deeply and hold for at the posture for at least 5-10 breaths, increasing the hold over time. To come down, slowly lower your legs, keeping them very straight -- a little workout for your abdominal muscles.

I'll give the herbal pills a shot. When my sinuses are acting up, I tend to be drenched in my sleep... I wake up and my pillow is soaked, clothes are soaked... just sweating like crazy. To give you an example, in April, I had to put my a/c on a couple of nights because I was so uncomfortable... yet the temperature hasn't passed 70 degrees during the day!

Stress is a big factor in my life right now... and I understand it can cause many problems. A friend of mine who is a 2nd degree blackbelt in tae-kwon-do has been urging me to learn to meditate.

I know this sounds like an excuse, but my God, when do I have the time?! I'm working every day. Someone also recommended acupuncture to me, so I'm going to consider that. But I guess one thing I really need to reduce is my stress--or if I can't reduce it (and it'll calm down in about a month), I should figure out how to deal with it differently.

Have you heard of a Neti Pot? Apparently, that is supposed to improve people's sinus health. It was shown off in Oprah... (Don't laugh)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jala_neti

Yes, I have used it.. I mentioned that in the end of my first post.

It's a pain to use in my opinion, but it does work a bit.

Sinus infections was only one of the reasons why I went. I had been suffering from double ear infections on and off for about 8 months. I was also having severe pain in my upper neck. A few times I couldn't even lift my head or get out of bed because it felt like a Mack truck kept running over my head.

I'll give the herbal pills a shot. When my sinuses are acting up, I tend to be drenched in my sleep... I wake up and my pillow is soaked, clothes are soaked... just sweating like crazy. To give you an example, in April, I had to put my a/c on a couple of nights because I was so uncomfortable... yet the temperature hasn't passed 70 degrees during the day!

Stress is a big factor in my life right now... and I understand it can cause many problems. A friend of mine who is a 2nd degree blackbelt in tae-kwon-do has been urging me to learn to meditate.

I know this sounds like an excuse, but my God, when do I have the time?! I'm working every day. Someone also recommended acupuncture to me, so I'm going to consider that. But I guess one thing I really need to reduce is my stress--or if I can't reduce it (and it'll calm down in about a month), I should figure out how to deal with it differently.

Let me give you a 10 minute meditation workout which works. This is how it starts. I want you to do the following.

1. Count one to five with taking in deep breath. Hold the breath by counting one to five. And release FORCEFULLY counting one through five and then relax for five counts. During breathing in those five counts, make sure you are filling up the optimal volume of your lung and that you can take in air no more. And while breathing out make sure you are leaving as much as your lungs can release. Try breathing through your stomach rather than your chest. The reason is it activates your digestive process and gives your stomach (internal organ) a workout.

2. The counts should be approximately close to one second. Which means you are doing 30 of them in the ten minutes.

3. Do this sitting on a chair or anywhere. Make sure that your back is straight and vertical. Head straight and your neck relaxed yet straight. You can even do it while taking a dump. :AH-HA_wink: My point is that you do not have to make any specific time for it.

4. Close your eyes, while doing it.

5. Keep your hands on your knees, palms facing skywards. Your knuckles should be approximately towards the end of your knees. Fingers curled in their natural position when they are relaxed.

6. MOST important. Concentrate on ONE object while doing that. It can be anything. It can be even thinking, "I want to get rid of my sinuses." and RELAX your muscles as much as possible.

7. Before you start the breathing, I will ask you to not to "think" anything. Just stare at something for a minute and then close your eyes.

8. Make a log of your thoughts. Write them down. Write down how your body reacts. What were your feelings.

In those 10 minutes your goal should be dual.

A. Concentrate on the Object.

B. Listen to your body.

Then we will talk.

Edited by smallchevy

Do you possibly have a deviated septum? If the nasal passages aren't structured/sized correctly, it's my understanding that it also impedes flow of air/mucosa in and out of the sinus passages.

I am plugged up all the time and I have to blow my nose fiercely to seem to clear it up. Between that, Claritin and the Vicks inhaler stick I carry in my briefcase, I manage.

Chiropractor? Hmmm. I did a chiropractor thread a while back for the sprain I endured falling off an air mattress into frigid Lake Tahoe and jerking while hitting the water. The sprain went away so gradually, even with the treatments, that it was impossible to see if it was time or the treatments that mitigated it. After the pain had subsided completely, he still wanted me to come in for adjustments. I declined. I don't see how that could have helped, as I feel completely ok. I would have just parted with money. But you can do what you want.

Well, I have a very mild deviated septum... so mild the dr assures me having surgery would be a complete waste of time and money.

I hear this advertised all the time on Sirius http://www.sinusbuster.com/ I don't know if it works, but if you are desperate....

I just looked at it, and the first thing I noticed was that there is a picture of peppers on it. I once asked my Dr, why can't I just cut an onion if I want to drain my sinuses? Just force myself to cry? He said those are allergic reactions. Well, when looking at this sinus buster and then reading the warning, apparently one of the ingredients, black pepper, is to irritate you to cause you to drain.

Still though, I'm thinking of cutting an onion tomorrow just because my right ear is clogged.

I like my Neti pot. All these other suggestions sound cool though. I never got sinus infections until I moved back to Lancaster.

Funny that you all mention sinus problems in connection with lusher, greener more humid places. My problems are caused by the excessive dryness. I have been told to BUY a humidifier.

Well, there is my routine for fixing sinues. Have surgery! I've had 3 sinuse surgeries to correct my problems (two before all my adult teeth came in, one after). Since then I've not really had any trouble. I still get a little clogged up and my sinues drain when the weather makes the switch from cold to hot, and vice versa. But that is more of a nuisance than a real problem. A week or so and I'm better once the temps in Alabama stabilize from "winter" to not quite summer, aka spring....