Cuban Cars Frozen In Time

Shortly after Castro took over in 1959, the U.S. slapped a trade embargo on Cuba. That means the country has imported few cars in the past five decades. But ever-resourceful Cubans have managed to keep the same vehicles on the streets since the 1950s, making the country the world's biggest open-air car museum.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know a Pontiac when I see one!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would love to go to Cuba. I'm wondering when we will finally see a Miami-Havana flight. A lot of my friends growing up were Cuban...they were a riot...their parents even more so.

Yo P-C-S, you're a two passport kind of guy. I was wondering if, given the fact that my father never naturalized in the US and remained a European national, I could get an Italian passport. That would now give me access to all of the EU. And, with one of those, I could go to Cuba... :scratchchin: ...pero no quiero nadar en el Caribe porque tengo miedo de los tiburones....

I don't know about Italian law. I have dual citizenship under the German law, since I was born there and my mother is German. The US didn't normally recognize dual citizenship at the time I turned 18, but my cousin at the time worked for a very powerful US Senator and my dual citizenship was attached as a rider on a bill that became law, funny thing is my rider had nothing to do with the bill itself that was voted on. :spin:

So I carry both EU and US now.

Just wait long enough and they'll come back home...

Posted Image

I want to leev een America...

actually, it's not that funny, many lives have been lost crossing those 90 miles to the Keys...

they'll be in for a shocker (at least those without Internet and a curious mind).

Do they have internet in Cuba? What's the Cuba suffix at the end -- you know, it for Italy, pt for Portugal, es for Spain, etc?

See, this is what happens when you live in a place with no road salt. Darn you D.O.T.! :cussing:

I'm sure they have plenty of rust from salt air, though...when I lived in the Florida Keys, there were rusty cars everywhere....