Toyota Shooting itself in the foot - again?

toesuf94

Our neighbor is a Toyota guy - he cannot tell you why, he just is. He just took delivery last Fall of the new Avalon. Oddly enough - he just received a 'pull ahead' letter from Toyota Motor to move him into a Newer car! His has only around 8,000 miles on it...little early for a pull ahead? Read on!

Another friend of the family had a 2006 Camry that he leased last year as a closeout. Guess what he just got - A PULL AHEAD letter from Toyota buying him out of his lease and putting him in the 07 Camry! He took the bait. I can hardly think that this is a coincidence!

So, my question in this: Has anyone else seen/heard or experienced this? Is Toyota trying to move cars to boost numbers in the overall deliveries to maintain the # 1 spot in the US/ World? And is this in effect shooting themselves in the foot by lowering resale values and flooding the market with late model cars at high discounts? I have an Enterprise lot down the road that is selling ex-rental '07 Camries for $16k and change. Is this not what nearly decimated the domestics over the past two decades?

So, what is your take on this C & Gers? Curious!

They are really shooting themselves in the foot because the 2007 models are more trouble prone with more recalls, transmission hesitation, squeaks and rattles and so forth judging by all the complaints I hear from friends and on forums.

Edited by ponchoman49

Wow!

That's fantastic news!

Thanks for the heads up!

Getting a Camry was the next thing on my list.

Well, almost next on my list.

There's just a few things more pleasurable than buying and driving a Camry that I need to get out of the way first.

Like....

There's the sixteen week-week no food no water diet.

Followed by a round or two of "How many sledgehammer impact body blows and head shots does it take to yell uncle?".

Then diving in peanut butter and hanging out with a herd of rabid chipmunks.

Maybe spend a week or two down at the sewage treatment plant to see what Dirty Jobs is really like.

And finishing up by chopping my head off with a salad spoon.

But yeah, right after that, it's the Camry.

Wow!

That's fantastic news!

Thanks for the heads up!

Getting a Camry was the next thing on my list.

Well, almost next on my list.

There's just a few things more pleasurable than buying and driving a Camry that I need to get out of the way first.

Like....

There's the sixteen week-week no food no water diet.

Followed by a round or two of "How many sledgehammer impact body blows and head shots does it take to yell uncle?".

Then diving in peanut butter and hanging out with a herd of rabid chipmunks.

Maybe spend a week or two down at the sewage treatment plant to see what Dirty Jobs is really like.

And finishing up by chopping my head off with a salad spoon.

But yeah, right after that, it's the Camry.

:lol:

Dirty Jobs is a great show :P

My Dad got a letter from Toyota of Exeter, where he bought his Toyota Truck 15 years ago. We haven't even owned this car for 6 years because it was totaled.

The letter stated that they were informing owners of ball-bearing that will crack under normal use (Its been 15 years!). With the letter they gave him a coupon for $1,500 off the purchase of a new 2007 Toyota Camry. Too bad we already have 4 cars (one of which, I'll admit, is a Camry) that run fine.

I still can't believe they have him on record... or why they're sending out warranty information on the truck.

Similar Truck For Reference:

Posted Image

I'd take a new Camry.

Of course, that's cause I'm starting to get tired of my 15 year old Buick... would still take a lot of GM cars over a Camry if people were willing to offer them to me. :)