Anyone have experience with B-Body Eighty-Eights?

Well judging by the pic, that is a Royale model, look for bubbling on the vinyl roof for rust underneath. check around the chrome moldings along the bottom of the car as water tends to get trapped and rust out the doors and fenders under the chrome unnoticed until the rust hole gets so big that the chrome can't cover it up anymore. I own a 1979 model which has the same interior but different exterior. So maybe GM worked out some of those rust issues...check the brake lines as well the two B, C-bodies I've owned have had the brake lines snap from rust. My frame has surface rust on it but is solid still, these frames are pretty strong and solid, however I would still get under there and check the rear frame rails and the rear axle for excessive oil residue which may indicate a bad leak. my Olds has a 350 Rocket motor, so I don't really know what to look for with the 307 in the '85's. The interiors are simple and pretty durable, check the weather seals around the doors for cracking as GM used this cheap spounge type weather stripping back then, that is prone to cracking and dry rot. I would also check the trunk for water damage as the trunk weather stripping is the same spounge type as around the doors...(at least on my '79) if you test drive it make sure your idiot lights are working, there should be lights for "Gen" "Oil" and "Hot" and considering there is no temp gauge or oil gauge these two lights are a something you should have working. If the car has a power trunk release in the glove box, the key needs to be in the run position for it to work (if it works) Oh and be sure to test the climate control system, these old GM units tend to stay on even when they're "off" the blower is always blowing a little air on the floor.

If the car has the optional gauge package there will be three gauges below the speedometer near the steering column. There is also a optional idiot light package which has a low fuel warning and a few other warning lights... the standard lights are located to the right of the speedometer to the left of the main center dash vent. The optional lights are to the right of the main center dash vent. If that right side light panel does not light up at all, the vehicle does not have the optional lights. The head liners are known to sag and fall as the glue wears out on them in most cases...as well as on the sun visors.

No prob :thumbsup:

BTW here are a couple more things to look for that I forgot to mention...there is also a idiot light for the brakes it will come on only if the e-brake is engaged or will stay if the brake system detects a failure somewhere in it's system or if there is a bad leak. These cars have front discs and rear drums and as such, the pedal will be a little softer than you're used to in the Aurora as well as my Riviera...but don't be worried...the pedal should have a little "play" in it as it is normal...but if the pedal is too soft and the brake light is on or even if it isn't on, I would have the brakes checked. If it has dual power mirrors, the control for the passenger side mirror is located to the left of the radio. I can't tell from the photo, but if the car does not have a power antenna, then the standard antenna is located in the windsheild and is visible in the center of the windshield. They aren't the greatest for reception, but they are more durable because they are embeded in the glass. The carpet is prone to heavy wear and tear in the drivers foot well near the kick panel as the floor board is recessed while the door sill sits higher...its hard to explain but you'll see what I mean when you see the car. I would also check all exterior lights because the old GM wiring isn't the greatest in the world and they can tend to short out due to water, so I would test them before you even test drive the car ( I made the mistake of not doing that and my car had no tail lights, brake lights or turn signals in the rear) while I was test driving it, I almost had an accident not realizing I had no rear lights and I came to a stop to turn and was almost rear ended.

But at the end of the day its a car over 20 years old, so expect so issues with it, but for the price...the ride is great, the car is a tank and will withstand a beating and its a blast to drive for being a "grandpa" mobile...so have fun and hope you like it when you see it in person. :)

Do it. That's a real Oldsmobile. I love baby-blue GM boats... :D

pray to god its not a Olds 307!!!!!

And check the frame for heavy rust. look at the gas tank and fuel lines.

Other than that follow DF79 advice.

I drove one of those. I did not own it. Those were so great cars. That is one of the cars I wanted back in high school. I have fond memories of them. And so you know.. that looks like a Brougham LS too. If it is.. you are in store for something big. The Brougham LS got the Ninety Eight's seats, wheels and grille and other features from the 1980-1984 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight. That was to keep traditional Oldsmobile owners in the showroom after the Ninety Eight went front drive in the spring of 1984 as a 1985 model. Oldsmobile years later did this again when the Ninety Eight was dropped after 1996. They called it Regency the second time around. Regency was around for two years just like Brougham LS.

It is easy to tell a Brougham LS from a Brougham:

Brougham LS had all red taillamps divided in the middle. Brougham had red and orange taillamps. I later found out the reason why it had orange and red is because they used to sell Oldsmobile abroad successfully.

The Brougham LS had had opera lamps on the B pillar. The 5.0 liter 307 V8 was standard on the car too.

The Brougham offered the 5.0 Liter V8, but the 3.8 liter V6 was standard.

Check this car out. It is 600.00. It looks good, but something has to be wrong with the engine or interior or something to let it go for 600.00

I have seen other Brougham LS go on Ebay for more than 3,200.

Check it out.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

pray to god its not a Olds 307!!!!!

And check the frame for heavy rust. look at the gas tank and fuel lines.

Other than that follow DF79 advice.

The 307 isn't unreliable, it's just not fast. Slow and steady is the name of the game here.

That sucks.

I bought a B-body yesterday for no good reason other than "impulse buy".

I bought a B-body yesterday for no good reason other than "impulse buy".

It wouldn't happen to be a 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate station wagon, would it?

How'd I know? I saw it mentioned in your signature!

Pictures? Details? Inquiring minds want to know!

It wouldn't happen to be a 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate station wagon, would it?

That's right. :)

More details to follow.

THat sucks about the Delta Fly...it would have been nice to have two C&Ger's pimping B-Body Delta's here 8)

Those two Ninety Eights are nice and that sedan has the optional gauge package which is very rare...I would scoop that baby up in a heartbeat if I could afford it

Edited by Delta Force79