Toys you played with as a kid

When I was little, I first got Lincoln Logs and Tinker Toys and then Legos that I would play with for hours and build all these little cities. Then as I got older, I got K'Nex, Micro Machines (I had so many of the city sets that I could cover half of a room), and finally my favorite toy, Girder and Panel.

I found my first Girder and Panel (known as KenStruct in the 70s) set at a garage sale...it's basically where you construct skyscrapers with these little plastic beams and columns and then you snap on these plastic panels for the walls and windows. The first set was from the mid 70s, and then one day at Toys R' Us I found out they had a new set and got that for a Christmas present. The two I got were called Cityscape and Deluxe Skyscraper.

I think these toys are what got me interested in becoming an architect. I was just curious if others here played with toys when they were a kid that had something to do with what occupation you ended up in.

Some Girder and Panel and KenStruct sets somebody set up into a city
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

I was a child of the '70s.. Lincoln Logs and Legos when I was little...from an early age (3 or so), Matchbox, Tomica, Hot Wheels, Corgi cars... (my lifelong enthusiasm for cars began early)... 'crash-up' derby cars from Kenner... Aurora Thunderjet slot cars (a hand-me-down from my older brother)... I started building Revell and Lindberg 1:32nd scale snap kits at around age 6 then AMT and MPC plastic model kits around age 8.. Also, I was into Six Million Dollar Man and Star Wars action figures.. Those girder and panel and skyscraper sets look really neat..never seen them before.. Edited by moltar

Hmm... hard to tell as I don't exactly have a career at the moment. :D

As for my planned career, well, let's see: When I was young I played with toy cars. Hotwheels... Matchbox... etc. I had die-cast collectibles, RC cars, and such, too. I was infatuated with cars. My planed career is to do be an Automotive designer. If that doesn't work out, I'll try being specialty 'aftermarket' designer. If not that, simply something having to do with automobiles.

So... you guys tell me... has any of that influenced me? http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

i was heavily and still in to Hobby class R/C's like the electric and gas ones that do about average of 45MPH. but the only toy i had was a adjustable wrench and a wood burning stick j/k

My father introduced me to model cars etc. at a young age (we almost completed my first one at 5 yrs. old, but I bugged him so much to work on it that he tossed it in the trash), and that hobby grew to include R/C cars... I also used to play with Legos and Construx (I think that's what it was called). And I always loved getting G.I. Joe toys, since assembly was required. So, yes my childhood toys did have a huge effect on my career (Mechanical Engineer) and my love for the automobile!

I used to stuff my GI Joe (back in the days when he was a big doll, not those girlie GI Joes they sell now!) into my remote controlled Jaguar and crash it all over the house. I also would sometimes steal my younger sister's Skipper doll (she was deprived - hers didn't have the growing bosoms that came later) and put her in the driver's seat because she fit better. Then again, I also would put a cape on Skipper and throw her off the top bunk, much to my sister's chagrin! Point? OH, well, I still have most of my Hot Wheels and Dinky (??!! could that be why I'm gay?) toy cars from the late '60s. I had a Big Bruiser tow truck in 1970 which helped me when I bought my '87 Dodge Shadow. Does anybody remember Super City - or were they only sold in Canada? They were square plastic construction pieces that snapped together to build skyscrapers, etc.

My father introduced me to model cars etc. at a young age (we almost completed my first one at 5 yrs. old, but I bugged him so much to work on it that he tossed it in the trash), and that hobby grew to include R/C cars... I also used to play with Legos and Construx (I think that's what it was called).  And I always loved getting G.I. Joe toys, since assembly was required.

So, yes my childhood toys did have a huge effect on my career (Mechanical Engineer) and my love for the automobile!

[post="24793"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You had Construx?? I love that thing...yes, I used the present tense. I still have it. B) I have most of the sets (but not the really cool ones with the black beams) and the huge orange carrying case. I'm never giving that thing up, I'm pssing it down to my son if I ever have one.

I also have some 300 or so Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels, along with 50 or so Micro Machines - nicely detailed little cars that anyone could swallow whole if they wanted to.

You had Construx?? I love that thing...yes, I used the present tense. I still have it.  B) I have most of the sets (but not the really cool ones with the black beams) and the huge orange carrying case. I'm never giving that thing up, I'm pssing it down to my son if I ever have one.

I also have some 300 or so Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels, along with 50 or so Micro Machines - nicely detailed little cars that anyone could swallow whole if they wanted to.

[post="24945"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My orange carrying case is in the closet :) but it's the set with the grey beams.