GM Europe names new Exterior Design Chief

GM Names Phillip A. Zak To Head GM Europe Exterior Design
Posted Image
08-01-2007 | Link to Original Article @ Edmunds

RUSSELSHEIM, Germany — Phillip A. Zak, the versatile General Motors designer who helped to shepherd the design development of such vehicles as the Pontiac REV and the Saturn Prevue concept, was appointed director of exterior design for General Motors Europe on Wednesday.

His will head the exterior design of the Opel, Vauxhall and Saab brands as well as "design of certain Saturn products for North America," GM said in a statement. Zak succeeds Mark Adams, who was appointed vice president of design for GM Europe in June.

Zak's portfolio includes the Chevrolet Cobalt, the Pontiac G6 and the Pontiac GXP performance line. He is a 1988 graduate of the Cleveland Institute of Art. Previously, he was exterior design director of General Motors' global compact utility studio at the GM North American Design Center.

What this means to you: Even with an American at the helm in Europe, future Saturns are still expected to have a distinctly German character.

Zak's portfolio includes the Chevrolet Cobalt, the Pontiac G6 and the Pontiac GXP performance line. He is a 1988 graduate of the Cleveland Institute of Art. Previously, he was exterior design director of General Motors' global compact utility studio at the GM North American Design Center.

Hopefully He can do better than those. The Cobalt coupe is the only one that looks any good. If he's responsible for the G6 GXP, then things might start to get ugly, literally.

Hopefully He can do better than those. The Cobalt coupe is the only one that looks any good. If he's responsible for the G6 GXP, then things might start to get ugly, literally.

Agreed.

He should feel at home designing products for Europe with their pedestrian safety requirements forcing big, honking noses on everything.

Soooo..................more bland,unimaginative craptacular bubblecars?wtf?

I hope he wont change too much GME designs. The young designers are coming in soon with fresh ideas and the opels as of right now rock. I hope they know what they are doing in this spot.We can NOT afford to have any more bland ,boreing cars.........period.

Not to [poop on the guy befor he has had a chance or anything.

Sorry dude.

Eh, it's not horrible... But I don't think he'll do bad considering he designed this which everyone loved...

Posted Image

The article doesn't specify that he designed the G6 concept. If its only the production car, then there is reason to worry. The production G6 was a HUGE letdown from the sleek concept.

Nesbitt is still the Welburn of Europe, I believe. Besides, I think the head designers usually aren't the ones doing most of the work, they're just tweaking them and helping the other designers usually. Welburn doesn't actually design GMNA's vehicles, he just signs off on the designs and helps out on them, makes sure they're going smoothly, etc. Zak should be doing the same, I think.

Bryan Nesbitt was named to the newly created position of vice president of design for North America and Mark Adams to the equivalent European position. Mike Simcoe was rumored to have had that job all sewn up, but seems power positions, are going from GMNA to GME and back again to GMNA. I kind of like that plan myself. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Nesbitt is still the Welburn of Europe, I believe. Besides, I think the head designers usually aren't the ones doing most of the work, they're just tweaking them and helping the other designers usually. Welburn doesn't actually design GMNA's vehicles, he just signs off on the designs and helps out on them, makes sure they're going smoothly, etc. Zak should be doing the same, I think.

wait, so that's what these vp of design do all day??? :huh:

wait, so that's what these vp of design do all day??? :huh:

I think so, but I am not positive. They are in an administrative position, and therefore their job is not to actually do most of the work, but rather make sure the work is being done and done well. Take for instance the CAO (accountant) of GM. he is most likely not actually figuring out many numbers and such, but rather overseeing many other accountants who are working on all sorts of different things. They then have to report to that person and ask him questions if they have any. Then he will answer them, etc. The VP of design would be the same, I would think. Welburn is most likely not designing a car, but rather making changes to perfect other designs that have been presented to him.