So what's the employment picture in Australia?

Guest YellowJacket894

Amanda dropped out of the 10th grade and makes 45k a year. I have my diploma and she said finding work should be VERY easy for me, hehehe.

Uh, whoa? :blink:

If you drop out of the 10th grade in the U.S., you don't stand a chance in hell to make that kind of money. Sort of speaks volumes.

$45K in most major cities is the minimum you'd need to get by, and in Sydney you'd be struggling to find somewhere affordable to live on less than $100K per household.

Very true because Sydney is ridiculously high on housing, I think for her 3 bedroom 3 bathroom townhouse she pays 1500 a month in rent. When I move there we've thought of moving where it's cheaper like were her grandparents live. She also told me that her electric bill is dirt cheap, I'm talking $185 for THREE months... :o

Edited by deftonesfan867

Depends on what you'd like to do. Half of my family is Down Under, and most of them live in the cities. However, my uncle and three cousins live in what many call 'the Outback' , in around the the mid-eastern area of Queensland.

I've been to their place a bunch of times, and living isn't as easy as it is in North America. Their power comes from Solar cells, water is stored in tanks from the rains, civilization is a bit of a distance, and you need a decent truck/off-roader to get around, (he has an old Toyota with a diesel). He didn't do too great in school, and although there are good amount of jobs, the pay is pretty horrible, at least in his area.

His sons have recently all moved to the cities of Cairns and Brisbane, and he has recently taken up work in Alice Springs, where jobs are better paying. Some Canadians head there to escape Canada, and get payed decently. I've considered it myself a couple times, and having an Australian passport makes it all the more tempting.

I've been to the Alice, and it's really an oasis in the middle of the desert. The landscape is beautiful, and of course, you're relatively near to Uluru. It's definately a different world. Not to mention, the parking lots are filled with beautiful Commodore's and Falcon's. :)

Current unemployment levels in Australia are running at about 4 - 5%, in other words, very low unemployment at the moment. Anyone who really wants a job can find one without any problems. I can't say for sure but I'm fairly sure our wages are higher than those in the U.S. but that is offset somewhat by our higher cost of living. If you are prepared to live outside of large cities like Sydney or Melbourne then you will find reasonable accomodation for reasonable prices, same as everywhere else really. I can't be any more specific without knowing what sort of job you would be looking for but if you would like any more info feel free to ask.

Thanks everyone for the considered reponses, I am very curious about Australia and would very definitely like to see it. The thread title is half-joking as I think it is unlikely that I would move there, but I am very serious about changing what I do to something that is independent of geography so that I can live anywhere I choose and yet, make a living.

$45K in most major cities is the minimum you'd need to get by, and in Sydney you'd be struggling to find somewhere affordable to live on less than $100K per household.

So, it's another London, basically, but with nice weather.

My parents emigrated to Australia from Italy for 3 short years, returning to Europe and then moving to the states. They went to Melbourne because that's where fellow emigrants from the same town went. Their report was kind of "eh."

It doesn't hold such pull for me, while I think it is probably an intriguing land. First, the 14 hour NONSTOP (yes, all of them) flight from LA is incomprehensible for my high strung personality. Second, I just went to London for the first time. The left-hand drive system leaves me completely disoriented, even when just walking around. Lastly, beaches chock full of sharks and some of the most lethal snakes and crocodiles assembled in one place. Yeah, I know, ignorance.

If I get the chance, I will someday try to get to Sydney, at the very least. If I ever had to leave North America on a full-time basis, my choice would be Portugal...even more so than Italy. It's less hectic.

In today's America, anything short of some type of post-graduate degree is considered inadequate for a real salary.

Sad commentary.

Today's America is ridiculous. Not everyone is cut out for college and those people shouldn't be looked down upon or be subject only to low-paying jobs because of it. America is supposed to be the land of opportunity, after all.

Edited by AxelTheRed